Quantcast

LBS ripoff

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A customer came in with a cassette he bought from mailorder. The services I rendered for him on the shop were:

remove old cassette
install new cassette
remove old chain
install old chain
service derailleur pulley
adjust rear derailleur

He also bought a chain and some other items. I was only going to charge $15 because he had a nice bike and he was cool, but he said charge $25 because no one else on a Saturday would do it.

Now I realized I should have charged him $50, and that customer actually ripped me off!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Wow that is 15 min of work, anyone who would have charged him $50 should be shot.
Really?

Pop quiz, hotshot: Chain is skipping when pedalling forwards and backwards. No stiff link where the pin was inserted. What you do? What do you do?

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
sanjuro said:
A customer came in with a cassette he bought from mailorder. The services I rendered for him on the shop were:

remove old cassette
install new cassette
remove old chain
install old chain
service derailleur pulley
adjust rear derailleur

He also bought a chain and some other items. I was only going to charge $15 because he had a nice bike and he was cool, but he said charge $25 because no one else on a Saturday would do it.

Now I realized I should have charged him $50, and that customer actually ripped me off!
what store do you work at......i need some ripped off work done on it:D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If it's a new chain or a new cassette, replace the part that's not new - it's probably worn badly.

Other than that, could be an alignment problem: bent hanger or cage.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dirtydirtysouf said:
what store do you work at......i need some ripped off work done on it:D
Call 10 shops on a Saturday and see how many will do it for you?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
binary visions said:
If it's a new chain or a new cassette, replace the part that's not new - it's probably worn badly.

Other than that, could be an alignment problem: bent hanger or cage.
Checked that, hanger and cage straight.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Wow that is 15 min of work, anyone who would have charged him $50 should be shot.
I'm still waiting for your answer. Tick tick tick. Customer watching, hot day this Saturday, other customers waiting. Tick tick tick tick....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ok more information: the derailleur cage is popping sporadically when the chain runs through, the classic sign of a stiff link. I checked where I inserted the pin and where it is popping in the pulleys, but no stiff links.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Is there a hamster stuck anywhere in the drivetrain?

(Partsy's been walking a little less funny lately...)

MD

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
50 bucks, my shop usually will do adjustments for me for free if I am in there for something else. Then again I also would hace changed the cassette and chain myself so I have no idea how much those run...although they are freakin easy to do.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
the chain isn't probably put through the rear D. . the little guard in the middle of the pulley cage is what the chain is resting on causing it to pop.

where's my prize big boy?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
10 minutes later, after checking stiff links, b-screw adjustment, hanger and cage alignment (and this was a new chain and cassette, both Dura-Ace 10 speed); after carefully examining when the chain was popping on the pulley, I noticed some gunk built up. The owner of the shop removed the pulley to examine it closer, scraped off what looked like road tar, reinstalled it, and the bike worked correctly.

$50? Probably kinda high, considering it took about 20 minutes worth of work. But I know many shops would not have fixed the skipping, and even I suggested replacing the pulley. The owner solved the problem without costing the customer another cent.

And many mechanics it would have taken about 45 minutes to resolve this, which is about $50 shop labor charge.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:rofl:

I'm so compulsive about cleaning the crap out of anything whenever I work on anyone's bike that built up gunk isn't something I even think about, ever. I'm sure I'd be less compulsive about it if I worked at an LBS and was on the clock for repairs, though.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
indieboy said:
the chain isn't probably put through the rear D. . the little guard in the middle of the pulley cage is what the chain is resting on causing it to pop.

where's my prize big boy?
what do you think I am, a rookie?

I have done that more times than you put on a chain...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
indieboy said:
hey now i wasn't going into any name callin :)
and i dunno i've installed a lot of chains
I was just kidding. One reason why I am pretty good now is because I have made or seen every mistake in the book, from stripping BB's to my favorite, someone threading a left pedal into the right crankarm. I developed a new term for that kind of mechanic: sh*tdiot.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
sanjuro said:
Really?

Pop quiz, hotshot: Chain is skipping when pedalling forwards and backwards. No stiff link where the pin was inserted. What you do? What do you do?
post in the mech. area.....no..

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Actually tell tale sign of stiff link is when the der jumps ONLY when the stiff section of the chain is coming through. Is that what is happening? Did you check the rest of the chain? Is the jockey making contact with the teeth... are the jockey's spinning free...

Thats all I got.

Edit: Oh you answered the question. NM.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
partsbara said:
you double room rate at partsbaras penthouse has just gone from free to $118 + tax per night...
Does that include the exotic massage?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
sanjuro said:
Really?

Tell the guy to grow a set and get rid of his shifters and derailleurs?