Quantcast

LBS service sucks...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I once again made the mistake of going into the LBS. Again I just wanted something basic. (which it turns out he wouldn't have had anyway)

Just as I asked the guy, the phone rang. He then stayed on the phone with whoever it was for over 5 minutes, and was till on the phone when I walked out.

Should I not be given priority since I got off my ass and actually went INTO the store?

Apr 1, 2002
NY
he was def in the wrong man. im a big supporter tryin to support ur LBS. guess he jus sucks at life. if i was in that dilema ida jus said hold on, adress ur concern, balence the cituation best i could. phone customer are as important as walk in's. what really sucks is call waiting! that **** is jus rude. my boss put that in this summer, not the cool boss. it sucked. ive been in both shoes of that. neither easy. good look tryin to help out.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
MMike said:
Should I not be given priority since I got off my ass and actually went INTO the store?
not if the person on the phone is following up on current dealings with the store, meaning he was technically in line before you.

Its all 'me me me' with you aint it? :D

btw, going to Bromont tomorrow?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
zedro said:
not if the person on the phone is following up on current dealings with the store, meaning he was technically in line before you.

Well I could tell from the conversation that he was a johnny come lately...asking about raoad bike stuff to boot!

Yes...it IS all about me.

And negative on the Bromont thing. Last weekend was my day pass. What waste that was.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
zedro said:

When I worked at my LBS, we were always taught that the customer in the store always takes precedence over anyone else. I think it's a good policy.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
JRogers said:
When I worked at my LBS, we were always taught that the customer in the store always takes precedence over anyone else. I think it's a good policy.
well, the alot of places should just disconnect the phone.

The place i believe he's talking about is understaffed since all the kiddies are off to school and the 'skeleton crew' phase is starting. Not answering the phone is a good way of loosing a customer from ever walking in the door.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well it really all depends as to which LBS you go to, and also who you're asking for help. But I am a big supporter of local non-chain stores for everything, including bikes.

Dreyzar

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
Santa Cruz
MMike said:
I once again made the mistake of going into the LBS.
So, er, why did you feel like you had to go and post that? Every time some random ass bike shop in "trail rated for her pleasure" inconveniences you, an internet forum needs to hear about it? Bored, taking it out on LBS? Why not at least say my LBS service sucks, instead of LBS in general? :(

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Dreyzar said:
So, er, why did you feel like you had to go and post that? Every time some random ass bike shop in "trail rated for her pleasure" inconveniences you, an internet forum needs to hear about it? Bored, taking it out on LBS? Why not at least say my LBS service sucks, instead of LBS in general? :(
i think he's just cranky from not being able to ride as much as he wants/needs, or from moving or whatever. Dont remember these type of posts before he came down :mumble:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
zedro said:
Is it even worth going with the races going on?? (Sunday). I have my phone with me.

As far as the shop goes...well, it's a balancing act. If you're busy with someone on the phone, you can at least acknowledge the person's presence that's in front of you somehow. It all comes down to experience, or lack of, when it comes to dealing with multiple customers. MMike, what did you want done?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
I just wanted to grab a small part. And as far as ackowledging me, He had already started to help me when he picked up the phone. Which is fine. Take 30 seconds and either tell the guy to hold on or whatever because he's already helping someone. But I timed him. After 5 and a half minutes, I got tired of waiting and left. He was still on the phone.

And I never had posts like this before because I never had to deal with LBS in Seattle. I had my connections with my mechanic and he took very good care of me. I rarely stepped foot in a bike shop.

uh-oh....I feel a rant coming on....

And actually this can be said for all service industries, I really have to admit that SERVICE in the US is far and away better than in Quebec. I'm not sure why that is exactly, but it is. American businesses seem genuinely interested in gaining and keeping you patronage.

And I will also clarify, that this all took place BEFORE my really bad haircut. So that had nothing to do with it...

Yep I really don't know what is happening to me. EVERYTHING to do with biking lately makes me angry. I really want nothing to do with my bikes or riding. I rode Bromont last week, and I truly did not enjoy it. Everything bugged me. Too many fat french people in line for the water slide. Lift was running at a snail's pace. Didn't enjoy the trails at all.

I actually left my bike leaning against the wall of the bike shop, completely out of my sight while I stood in line for a lift ticket for like 10 minutes. I was even thinking to myself that there was a good chance it would get pinched. And I wouldn't have been upset either. It would have been a great excuse.

I tried to buy "The Descent" DVD on line yesterday. According to Acadian, I'm in it....footage from last years Master's. BUT the don't take Visa. It has to be Paypal. Well I don't FEEL like setting up a paypal account. So I didn't buy it.

My birthday is coming up. My wife asked if I wanted any bike stuff. I said "no". Technically I NEED a ton of stuff. But I don't want to waste the money on it.

EVERYTHING to do with biking is just so much f-ing trouble all of a sudden.

My wife even offered to go up to Bromont today to at least WATCH some of the race. I really could not care less about it. But I have no idea why. I FEEL like I SHOULD want to ride. A year ago, I couldn't get enough. Now it pisses me off to even think about riding. I have no idea what's wrong with me.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Hmmm...

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably take the rest of the season off. There are only two months anway before they close the lifts down and there's snow on the mountain. That will give you time to focus on a one or two things at a time and by next year, when you're all settled and everything is under control (including your bike), you'll be good to go. That's my feeling on it. Last season after I got my flashy new BB7, I wasn't happy where I was working, debts were piling up, I was stressed because I was running around in all directions. After one day of riding the bike, I said "forget it!". I sold the bike, kept the necessary stuff I would need for the following season (armor, helmet, clothes) and waited the season out. I loved the bike despite it's HORRID craftsmanship. Anyways, I started jogging again, playing more video games...sounds silly but I felt better. I changed jobs (not a career job but something better) and now I'm back into it this season. Everything is a little bit more balanced now. By the way, I find it completely rediculous of Bromont to close down their faster chairlifts. You're now sitting for 15min going up a small mountain after every run and when you're by yourself, that's enough idle time to get completely de-motivated and bored.

As far as the 'business' part of your post, I'm dating this girl who's from BC. She moved here in January to set up a bunch of new stores for a Canadian company. The entire time she's been here, she's been telling me how different the mentality is in Quebec. In her experience, if mostly comes down to how people are so damn impatient here (customers) and the way people actually talk to eachother (amongst employees that is). After hearing her stories and then actually seeing the same thing happening at my work, I find the whole culture and frame of mind here is behind a few decades. It's not exactly what you're experiencing but it goes to show that there is a difference.

My little rant over... ;)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Damn Mike sounds like Canada ain't what it used to be. First you think about selling your DH bike, then a sh*tty haircut and now a POS bike shop. When will it all end? Sounds like home is poisoning your system, time to move back to the states:thumb:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
The only thing left for MMike to do is move to BC!!! He gets the West Coast culture/attitude and he's still in Canada to boot!

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
MMike said:
And I will also clarify, that this all took place BEFORE my really bad haircut. So that had nothing to do with it...

Yep I really don't know what is happening to me. EVERYTHING to do with biking lately makes me angry..... Ra ra ra.... EVERYTHING to do with biking is just so much f-ing trouble all of a sudden.... Ra ra ra....I really could not care less about it. But I have no idea why.... Ra ra ra.... I have no idea what's wrong with me.
i think its male post-partum depression and geographical seperation anxiety. Take two chill-pills and call me in the morning.

ther eis also another view. usually in my mind teh phone customer takes precedende. they do not know what is going on in the shop. they can;t see teh customers, or how busy it is. if you don;t answer the phone the customer on teh phone will think you are just blowing them off. i rarely, and i mean very rarely have customers who have a problem with me answering the phone while i am talking with them. hell when it is a line that has nothing to do with my department that i don;t have to answer i routinely have customers ask if i need to answer the phone. there are teh occasional jackass customers that wont shut up...that happens and most customers don;t care. it happens. deal with it. the person helping you will get tio you as soon as tehy can. its not like they enjoy being stuck on the phone with a moron....just a little food for though from someone on the other end of that deal

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
dude what is the deal. love my lbs. im good friends with the owner and the mechanic there. saturday i just went in to talk and chill with the mechanic cause hes a kool guy. i dont have a prob with him ansering the phone while hes helping me you need to understand that there customers just like us. they need to be helped just as much as we do. sometimes problems cant be solved in 5 1/2 mins. so some patients they will get to you. and if your a regular customer and your really tight with them they will sometimes throw you on the back burner cause they know they can solve your prob in no time at all. but if your a customer on the phone it could take a little bit longer. when you go into a shop you normally know what your in there for. so all they have to do for you is ring you up and send you on your way. if they have to answer a phone in the process so be it they have to make money. and if you ever call them im sure that there never with a customer. and what happens if they didnt answer the phone. would you throw a little timper tantrum like your throwing now. man you need to grow up a little. get over yourself theres other peps in the world. im 17 and ive already accepted this damn. :nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nope: :nope: :nope: :nope: :nope: :nope: :nope: