Quantcast

LCD in my future

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
binary visions said:
It's got less contrast and twice the response time of the Sceptre I posted.

I don't see anything about supporting HDCP, either...
What's HDCP?

I don't think you can get Sceptre here...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Da Peach said:
What's HDCP?

I don't think you can get Sceptre here...
HDCP = High Definition Copy Protection.

It's a new copy protection scheme that will be supported by the next generation of drives like Blu-Ray, or whatever format wins the battle. Basically, if your set doesn't support HDCP, you will only be able to watch movies at the lowest HD setting (480p, I believe).

Contrast is important for obvious reasons, and response time is important because the higher the response time, the more your image lags behind, which can cause blurring.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hmm. I see a Sharp here

6 ms response time?

Sharp Aquos 37" Widescreen LCD HDTV** (LC37D40U)

The Aquos LC37D40U offers sophisticated design and first class performance. It features 16:9 aspect ratio, HDTV resolution of 1366 x 768, breathtaking colour purity, Advanced Superview (ASV) Black TFT Panel and 2 HDMI inputs for present and future HD devices. It also has ultra wide viewing angles that allow you to view the TV clearly from virtually anywhere in the room.
Purchase service plan

Add to your wish list Compare Lowest Price Guarantee

Product Features

High Brightness: 450 cd/m2

Wide Viewing Angles: 176º H, 176º V

Displays HDTV program images in 720p and is compatible with off-air (terrestrial), cable and satellite HDTV broadcasts.

HDTV with built-in DTV terrestrial ATSC decoder.

The 1200:1 true contrast ratio creates images with pure whites and deeper blacks.

Sharp's proprietary Quick Shoot technology enables a response time of less than 6ms for high-speed images.

**Requires HDTV Source

Product Details

Web Code: 10073178
Mfr. Part Number: LC37D40U
480i/480p 540p/960i 720p/1080i Capability 480i/480p, 720p/1080i
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Built-In Protective Screen Shield No
Center Channel Input No
Channel Labeling No
Comb Filter 3D Digital
Commercial Skip No
Component Video Inputs 2 HDTV
Digital Focus No
Display Type LCD
Dolby Digital Surround Sound No
Fine Pitch Screen No
First Surface Mirror No
Front A/V Inputs/Outputs No
Front S-Video Inputs/Outputs No
HDTV Compatible Yes
Headphone Jack No
Included In Box Remote, Batteries, Owner's Manual
Invar Shadow Mask No
Language Options English, French
Lenticular Screen No
Multi Sync Multi Source No
Parental Control Yes
Picture-In-Picture No
Product Dimensions 94.6(W) x 72.5(H) x 30.5(D) cm
Product Warranty 1 Year Pats & Labour
Product Weight 24.4 kg
Progressive Scanning Yes
Rear A/V Inputs/Outputs 3
Rear S-Video Inputs/Outputs 1
Remote Control Type Standard
RF Inputs 1
Scan Velocity Modulation No
Screen Size 37"
Sleep/Alarm Timer Yes
Sound Logic Audio Leveler No
Speaker Output Jacks Yes
Speed Channel Surf No
Surround Sound No
TV Guide Plus No
Upconversion Technology Yes
Variable Audio Output Info Not Available
Vertical Compression Info Not Available
VGA/SVGA Inputs No
Video Input Labeling Yes
Watts Per Channel 10 Watts x 2
Wide Band Video Amplifier No

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
HP has some good LCDs (made by Sharp - same panel as Aquos line but with more adjustments) and they are an excellent value.

They also make the best rear view projection for under $10000:

HP MD6580N (66") and MD5880N (59") true 1080p DLP TVs with an awesome front panel connection bay and user changeable projection lamp. Sound and Vision review and 2005 Editor's Choice

www.jr.com has great prices on HP TVs.

If you work for the right company, you might be able to get a corporate/business discount on the HP TVs also and then the price is definately unbeatable.

HP's technical support is superb on their TVs - you don't have to wait on hold forever, open 24 hours and you can even talk to someone in the US during normal business hours. I had to troubleshoot a friends HP TV that had a firmware issue that was easily solved once I called and heard there was a change that was needed to the posted firmware files.

I would definately say you could get away without a extended warranty on LCDs and most likely Plasmas (they tend to run a little hotter and some models have active cooling [read fans] that could die and then you'd have thermal issues). If you buy the TV on some creditcard you can double you warranty - check with you CC company.

On rear projection TVs, you have more moving parts, lamps, etc so an extended warranty wouldn't be a bad idea.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Looks nice. Still doesn't support 1080p which means you won't get the absolute highest performance but 720p should look just fine.

Google indicates that it supports HDCP. :thumb:

No DVI, but as I said, DVI-to-component adapters aren't much money.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Oh yeah, PM me your address and I'll send you a copy of the $2000 HDTV report I wrote for one CEO...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So, I guess having the HDMI is important, and more than one input too if you want to hook up a digital cable box and a DVD player? But my DVD player just has a standard RCA coming out of it anyway.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Da Peach said:
So, I guess having the HDMI is important, and more than one input too if you want to hook up a digital cable box and a DVD player? But my DVD player just has a standard RCA coming out of it anyway.
HDMI is good for futureproofing.

The only thing you might have with that is cable/satellite box off the bat - some of the newer HDTV PVR models have it. Most HDTV boxes have firewire, component, and DVI inputs.

I setup three HDTVs recently - one panasonic 42" plasma with cable TV over component input, one HP 26" LCD with cable TV over digital AV DVI input, and one HP 59" DLP with cable TV over HDMI. They all work fine but HDMI is easiest - one cable.

I didn't buy an extra component (cable box came with it), but had to get extra DVI, 1/8" stereo audio, and HDMI cable. HDMI and DVI cables are expensive.

Great prices/selection of cables from here:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The Panasonic is an excellent value.

The HP LC3200N 32" (made by Sharp) is actually superior to the Sharp branded model (has more control over its operation) and its only slightly more than the Panasonic in the States.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
syadasti said:
HDMI is good for futureproofing.

The only thing you might have with that is cable/satellite box off the bat - some of the newer HDTV PVR models have it. Most HDTV boxes have firewire, component, and DVI inputs.

I setup three HDTVs recently - one panasonic 42" plasma with cable TV over component input, one HP 26" LCD with cable TV over digital AV DVI input, and one HP 59" DLP with cable TV over HDMI. They all work fine but HDMI is easiest - one cable.

I didn't buy an extra component (cable box came with it), but had to get extra DVI, 1/8" stereo audio, and HDMI cable. HDMI and DVI cables are expensive.

Great prices/selection of cables from here:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/
On my plasma, I notice a huge difference in the picture when using my DVI cable as opposed to using my componet cables.

I am looking to install a HDMI blade in my plasma as an upgrade sometime soon.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
N8 said:
On my plasma, I notice a huge difference in the picture when using my DVI cable as opposed to using my componet cables.
Well there can be a big difference between freebie cable from Comcast and those from an outfit like Ramelectronics.

Even a cheap vs. decent cable of the same type can make a difference.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
syadasti said:
The Panasonic is an excellent value.

The HP LC3200N 32" (made by Sharp) is actually superior to the Sharp branded model (has more control over its operation) and its only slightly more than the Panasonic in the States.

Uhhhhhh which Panasonic? I posted a Toshiba and a Sharp...

Get a plasma man....much better overall picture than any LCD can produce. Online prices are very competitive and usually cheaper than any B&M store. Check out the place N8 bought from or try these guys: http://www.visualapex.com/avs/

I've purchased two Plasmas through them and can't recommend them enough.

Do your research over at the AVS forums as pointed out earlier...best resource I've found on the net.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Plasmas are the best microdisplay technology right now for most people's home theatre needs but if you can afford the space, don't mind the lamp replacement, and don't see/don't mind the rainbows DLP is a good option too.

In late 2007 I think we'll get the best of both worlds with SED (microdisplay flat panel CRTs).

I can't wait until SED become mainstream :thumb:

Here is a summary of the current techologies:

Picking a HDTV Technology

Cathode Ray Tube (CRT)
Positives: Relatively inexpensive; excellent picture quality; wide viewing angle;
long life; can be viewed in brightly lit environments.

Negatives: Bulky and heavy; limited screen size.

Plasma
Positives: As little as 3 inches thick; very good home-theater image quality in best
examples; wide viewing angle; Better blacks and brighter than LCD.

Negatives: Relatively expensive; slight potential for burn-in; most don’t work well
at altitude.

Liquid Crystal Display (LCD)
Positives: Higher resolution than comparably sized plasmas; no danger of burn-in;
easier to repair and don't wash out in the sunlight like plasma; thinner/lighter than Plasma.

Negatives: Expensive in larger sizes; home-theater image quality not as good as
plasma; relatively narrow viewing angle; Color saturation is generally inferior to plasma.

CRT Rear Projection
Positives: Relatively inexpensive; excellent black-level performance; the best
picture quality in a proper environment with proper setup.

Negatives: Deep cabinets; need periodic maintenance; not ideal for bright rooms;
narrow viewing angle; softer image than microdisplays; most cannot
display computer sources.

Digital Light Processing (DLP) Microdisplays (also in front projection)
Positives: Good black-level performance; no maintenance required to preserve
sharpness; often computer-capable; thin and light compared to CRT.

Negatives: Expensive; some rainbow effects; video noise in dark areas; periodic lamp replacement required. Wider/heavier than flat-panels (not wall mountable)
LCD Microdisplays (also in front projection)
Positives: No rainbow effect; no maintenance required to preserve sharpness; often computer-capable; thin and light compared to CRT. .

Negatives: Expensive; some screen door effects; blacks not quite as deep as DLP; periodic lamp replacement required. Wider/heavier than flat-panels (not wall mountable)

Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCoS) Microdisplays (also in front projection)
Positives: Excellent interpixel fill; no maintenance required to preserve sharpness; thin and light compared to CRT;

Negatives: Periodic lamp replacement required; not many offerings.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
MMike said:
Dad's gonna have a fit with all of this frivolity......
I'm gonna talk to Mom before I buy one. She's been saying she wants one for a while. Package deal!

THEN Dad will freak....:mumble:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you can go to a store and are interested in rear projection, check out DLP (HP's being the best DLP right now) and LCoS (Sony being the best LCoS) sets. I don't think cheap LCD rear projection is worthwhile.

I see the rainbows in the HP DLP depending on the picture being shown - I can spot them when I move my eyes or walk by and glance at the set. I've only met one other person who says they see them, so I'm not crazy ;)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
MMike said:
It'll be like the stereo debacle all over again....
Another reason to look forward to Christmas!

So anythin projection is not great then. Screw it.

All told, I guess I'll have to shell out about 3 grand for a 37". I get the feeling 32 will be a little small. As good a deal as that 32" Panasonic might be, 32".... i dunno. Split screen video games will be smaller than my current TV!

Does a PS2 have a widescreen option? For games that is... Anyone know?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Da Peach said:
Another reason to look forward to Christmas!

So anythin projection is not great then. Screw it.
On the contrary, private movie theatres and commercial use VERY expensive front projection systems ;)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I would have gone with a DLP projector instead of a plasma, but my room has way too much ambient light in it to make it work. I might be able to watch stuff at night on it, but during daylight there is now way I'd be able to see anything on the wall.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
N8 said:
I would have gone with a DLP projector instead of a plasma, but my room has way too much ambient light in it to make it work. I might be able to watch stuff at night on it, but during daylight there is now way I'd be able to see anything on the wall.
Front projection is never any good for rooms with windows...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
syadasti said:
Front projection is never any good for rooms with windows...
Exactly. Off my list.

Just did some research out of curiosity about my PS2 and how it will work with and HDTV. It seems I'll need a component cable between it and the TV. Anyone with any experience on just using a plain old RCA old style with and HDTV? Does it look at least as good as a regular TV? Or does is look worse. Some of the posts on the other forums seemed to allude to that.

Man, I gotta start a bike thread one of these days....

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
check out Syntax olevia 37" .. a friend of mine is heavily into electronics and told me it has the same internals as the sony model.. the only thing the speakers on it arent as good..

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
hooples3 said:
check out Syntax olevia 37" .. a friend of mine is heavily into electronics and told me it has the same internals as the sony model.. the only thing the speakers on it arent as good..
Syntax? Never heard of it. Is that a house brand somewhere?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
MMike said:
I should point out here that he is buying a TV instead of a decent bike.

He still rides a 1988 fully rigid Trek Antelope with Biopace chain rings.
Next bonus I'll consider the bike. Unlikely a DH though...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Westinghouse has a decent priced 37" LCD that does 1080p.

BTW, Westinghouse invented active matrix LCDs...

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Da Peach said:
Anyone with any experience on just using a plain old RCA old style with and HDTV? Does it look at least as good as a regular TV? Or does is look worse. Some of the posts on the other forums seemed to allude to that.
The HDTV will really highlight all the bad stuff in the picture that your current tv doesn't show. On my non HDTV I noticed a difference in picture quality going from the RCA cables to the S-video. RCA vs. Component on the HDTV will likely make a huge difference.