Quantcast

Le May car show

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
Part 1 if many

I'm no car enthusiast by any means, so I was kind of surprised when my buddy asked me last month if I'd like to join him and go to the LeMay Car show.He was very excited about it, and I returned his enthusiasm by pointing my finger down my throat and making gagging sounds. I only did this because I didn't want to hurt his feelings by REALLY telling him what I thought of the idea of spending the day at a car show.

He then told me that it was the largest privately owned car collection in the world, and that this opportunity only comes along once a year when LeMay lets the public onto their property to check stuff out. It was enough to stop me from making the gagging sounds, and slip into walking around like Frankenstein and making guttural, yawning sounds. He kept trying to convince, and I was running out of ways to show my non enthusiasm about the idea so I finally gave into his rants and raves and agreed to go.

He picked me up the day of and we headed north about 25 minutes to Spanaway. What I was expecting was a bunch of cars in a row on some grass, a bunch of fat geezers wearing shiny red jackets with decals from various "drive ins", drinking beer and eating hot dogs standing around talking about torque bumper axle converters,the last 4 car shows they went to and even more exciting things like fuel conversion rates, tire pressure and who makes better oil. I planned to fake a seizure about halfway up, make him take me to the nearby hospital and kill time in the emergency room(which would be about 10 times more enjoyable) until it was too late to make the car show, magically recover and we could go home. He must have suspected something along these lines, because at the last minute he ended up bringing his wife and that forced me to have a little better manners.

We walked onto the property and immediately I saw that it was going to be like no other car show that I had ever been to(1). LeMay is our local garbage service- started by Harold LeMay a long time ago and he was a pack rat.

The entrance. If this photo somewhat overwhelms the senses, you had to be there in real life. STUFF EVERYWHERE

We walked a little further and I started thinking that while I might not really enjoy myself, I might be able to at least not fall asleep in mid stride.

Truck Planter(the barns you see in the background are CRAMMED with cars-more later)

The place wasn't all about cars- heavy nostalgia everywhere and I thought it was well done. I changed my mind again and decided that I may actually enjoy my time here. It was like stepping back in time. There were cars everywhere, but a lot of it was in "sets" to kind of show time period etc. I went from enjoying myself to thinking "this is pretty cool".

Interior of one of the sets- Old schoolroom

Some more shots of the premises

Way too much information to write here, so this will be mostly skimming.

Automobile beginnings.

Not only does he have a Cadillac room, he has North,South,West and East Cadillac rooms. Keep in mind when viewing all the pics to come- there are all owned by 1 GUY!

North Caddy room. What made these rooms even more interesting, was all the wall decor. Old stuff EVERYWHERE

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
I know many don't care for old cars but I would love to see that collection in person. so much history:drool:
It was quite staggering-we spent most of the day there and didn't see near everything

Elf- be patient- theres a little something for everyone on the way....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I demand two Studebakers!!! One Silver Hawk and one Avanti... when I was in the 3rd grade my best friend's dad had one of each while my parents had a Caprice Classic and a Dodge Dart.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
About now I think it's starting to sink in how many cars this guy has(I still have no idea)

Again, it was extra interesting because of all the old stuff that was crammed in by the cars.

It was especially cool if you were of the time period of this stuff. There was lots of older folkes around us going
"oh you remember that!!" and so on. Made the whole experience even better.

The General Store...

If you're thinking this guy probably has a fortune in collectors cars, you ain't seen nothing yet. He has autos crammed in everywhere...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I get the idea that he doesn't drive most of his cars. I got to wander around Leno's collection and talk to him and all his staff (I use the same upulstry guy as Jay), and all his cars get driven on a regular basis. As cool as large collections are, I'd rather see 100 guys with 1 car they actually drive, than 1 guy with 100 cars that never see pavement.

OK, with that out of the way, great shots Derek. I am envious of that guy's collection of Ford V8/60s, I've been looking for a clean one for about 2 years now, and he's just got one sitting on a stand next to a '32.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
He doesn't drive anything anymore, as he has passed on, but lots of the cars do still get driven. Not all though - it would be tough to find time in a year to drive over 3,000 automobiles ;)

Continuing the tour.

Coming out of the first barn - 3 levels in this barn and all packed with cars.
Overview of the property closest to his house

2 car garage...

Fire engine room - more of this later- just briefly passing by

This thing was an absolute beauty, it's hard for the photos to do any of these cars justice because of basically one angle and horrible lighting, but you still can get an idea of what was there.

Walking to the 2nd floor of this barn

I did mention there was old memorabilia everywhere didn't I?

2nd floor- you can see the fire engine down below.

You guessed it- even more cars on the 2nd floor of this one.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
Cars wasn't the only thing he collected. The barns had all kinds of little rooms and passageways.

I could post a ton more, but you get the idea- back to autos.. and bikes!

Old stuff everywhere

Love those headlights

Awesome

That pretty much polishes off barn number 2.

Coming out at the top of the stairs. Russian Limo with some kind of shady history on the right.

Up close

Next up, the packard barn, north Mercedes barn, american muscle barn and the custom rod barn

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
So at this point, I'm running out of steam- there's just too much to shoot and I want to look, so the photos die off a little. It's a bummer now because there was a lot of really cool stuff I didn't shoot. It was just so overwhelming though. Try to keep in mind again, this is all ONE persons collection.........

The Packard room

The muscle room

Custom room

Awesome.

This was packed in a little stall, which is too bad, because it was pure awesomeness factory- the paint job had to be seen to be believed.

On to the North Mercedes room

More nostalgia/junk

Fire engine room(north)

Then we got on a bus and headed for the school that he bought to store the rest of the cars. He invited car collectors to bring their cars and park them around the schoolgrounds

No matter what you drive, this car is faster.

A question

He also collected bicycles and motorcycles....