Quantcast

***Le Wednesday GMT***

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Pretty straight forward. I got the kind where you have to swap out the front springs to save a couple bucks. Don't do that, get the whole assembly. Not worth the 40 bucks or whatever to wrestle with that stupid McPherson spring death trap tool. I did run into an issue removing the right rear shock. And by issue, I mean the fucking thing wouldn't come off. I pickle forked and wailed on it until it was flat and it still wouldn't come off the bottom mount. Wound up having to take it to a shop and they had to cut it off with a torch. Just bad luck/possible piss poor assembly from the factory. All the others came off exactly as expected, so good luck.
Yeah - I htink I'm going to tackle the fronts... but the rears I'm going to have the shop do at some point. I watched a couple videos and decided "yeah, nah" on those.

And even the shop recommended full assemblies to cut down on chances of fuckery. :D Did you go OEM or something aftermarket?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Pretty straight forward. I got the kind where you have to swap out the front springs to save a couple bucks. Don't do that, get the whole assembly. Not worth the 40 bucks or whatever to wrestle with that stupid McPherson spring death trap tool. I did run into an issue removing the right rear shock. And by issue, I mean the fucking thing wouldn't come off. I pickle forked and wailed on it until it was flat and it still wouldn't come off the bottom mount. Wound up having to take it to a shop and they had to cut it off with a torch. Just bad luck/possible piss poor assembly from the factory. All the others came off exactly as expected, so good luck.
Spring compressors are the things nightmares are made of. Will it compress further? Maybe! Is this turn the one that sends a spring rocketing through my hand? Perhaps. Who knows! Time to turn that nut and find out!

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Struts aren't hard. I've changed out full units and used spring compressors to change the top mounts. Borrow a spring compressor from the autozone or whatever.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Yeah - I htink I'm going to tackle the fronts... but the rears I'm going to have the shop do at some point. I watched a couple videos and decided "yeah, nah" on those.

And even the shop recommended full assemblies to cut down on chances of fuckery. :D Did you go OEM or something aftermarket?
I've hit my head pretty hard a couple times but if memory serves the rears are just naked shocks and the fronts are McPhersons. Get the fully assembled front struts and it's basically just a shock change. As @Adventurous points out, it's not fuckery unless you mess with the springs.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've hit my head pretty hard a couple times but if memory serves the rears are just naked shocks and the fronts are McPhersons. Get the fully assembled front struts and it's basically just a shock change. As @Adventurous points out, it's not fuckery unless you mess with the springs.
Check Rock Auto, I bet you can get a nice setup for cheap, too.

FB_IMG_1717608265568.jpg

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also, it's Taco Wednesday because I wasn't in the office on Tuesday. I know they will be done building these appointments eventually and the taco truck will leave. So I need to take advantage while available.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Meh night at league. Haley couldn't wind herself in during qualifying to give herself gap, so she never had a clean lap. She ended up 5th in heat B because of it. She then drove angry, overdriving the car and being hyper-aggressive, which got her sent to the back for spinning somebody. She's in a shitty mood and it's not fun to be around.

Team owner has laid out his plan for Haley for the next 18mos, and it's solid. Finish the CO state series in her current class, go up to a full-sized kart, race a level up class for the West coast series of her current motor type, then get another motor (KA100 Jr) and race that series locally, dropping the CO state series entirely. That last one gives her seat time with a Natl motor series, so she can expand if she wants. We talked it over and she likes it.

Hannah is back at Primrose for the summer and loving it. Smile and dial to meet my new clients for the job.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I loved LA when I never ventured farther south than Kenter.
Ah, the old Kenter Coaster. That place sent me to the ER once. I cruised around it on my XC rig and ended up hitting a jump and landing on my face. I was pretty messed up but drove home. I cleaned up and napped on the couch. When my girlfriend got home and put some dinner on the table I stood up and promptly fell down. I woke up to her telling me how 911 was called and the paramedics were coming to get me. I said I was fine and just wanted to watch King of the Hill. She told me how I had been blacked out and convulsing, and that I would definitely be going to the hospital. Fortunately the elevator in my building was broken so I got to be carried down a stairwell on the immobilizer board. Totally worth the copay.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I bought the 65 quart model last year. I mean, it's a f***ing cooler, but it does seem to do a much better job than the Igloo it replaced.
The 65q igloo I've had for 20 years basically has no insulation in the lid and only 1.25" of insulation elsewhere. These have 2"+ insulation everywhere. But they are bulky.

edit: Igloo has upped their game but the brand is the equivalent of parachute pants at the campground

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Ah, the old Kenter Coaster. That place sent me to the ER once. I cruised around it on my XC rig and ended up hitting a jump and landing on my face. I was pretty messed up but drove home. I cleaned up and napped on the couch. When my girlfriend got home and put some dinner on the table I stood up and promptly fell down. I woke up to her telling me how 911 was called and the paramedics were coming to get me. I said I was fine and just wanted to watch King of the Hill. She told me how I had been blacked out and convulsing, and that I would definitely be going to the hospital. Fortunately the elevator in my building was broken so I got to be carried down a stairwell on the immobilizer board. Totally worth the copay.
LOL, in ‘92 or so I lived about 1/2 way up Kenter. I spent a shit ton of time digging up there, it was really fun, and a great way to meet like-minded people in LA. My girlfriends family were ‘industry’ people, and I just had no interest in that.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
edit: Igloo has upped their game but the brand is the equivalent of parachute pants at the campground
one of our renters last year left a giant probably 60 x 24"? or so Igloo cooler in the garage. it seems adequately thicc