Quantcast

Leak in Shimano Saint M810 brake lever.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
I've been bleeding my brakes more and more recently (about every 5 rides) Over the past few rides I noticed oil and dirt build up on the bottom of the levers. Hoping it was do to a sloppy bleed of mine, I just cleaned everything with alcohol.

Todays ride same thing happened, had to literally pump the front brake just to make it down with some sort of control.

Where is the most likely location for the leak to be?
Why can't I find any rebuild or seal kits?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Well, check that the line connection at the lever body is tight, check that the rubber gasket under the MC cover is placed correctly, not torn, etc, and that the MC cover is tight. There are only so many places a leak can occur, you'll find it.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
i've had the same problem for years with shimano's servo wave levers (xt and saints). my local shop got the saint ones warranteed for me through shimano. as long as they're three years old or less they'll do it. i'm not going to use them though...i got the new xtr trail levers on my saint calipers now and they feel great. the test will be if they hold up though and don't leak...

check this thread (towards the end)...

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
I had the same problem and never found the leak. Its gets progressively worse. Eventually they wouldnt last on ride down the hill. I couldnt fix them, LBS couldnt fix them. Shimano replaced the full set which I promptly sold. Lots of people have had the same issue. Definatley hit or miss though

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
I had the same problem and never found the leak. Its gets progressively worse. Eventually they wouldnt last on ride down the hill. I couldnt fix them, LBS couldnt fix them. Shimano replaced the full set which I promptly sold. Lots of people have had the same issue. Definatley hit or miss though
It would be the master cylinder seal. Unfortunatly for the awesomeness of the brakes shimano consider them to be "unserviceable", just like all there brakes. Thats why there are no parts or seal kits for them outside of res caps and lever blades.

Booby

Chimp
Aug 11, 2011
Hello all, Got my new brakes for Christmas a set of brand spanking Shimano Saint M810 brakes with RT 75 rotors. My question is as they came off a built bike I have no instructions for setup. Just wondering what the gold adjuster does on the end of the brake lever and the silver screw near where it says free stroke, they both seem to move the brake lever in and out.

Last edited: