Quantcast

Least amount of oil in 888RC2X??

Hairyballs

Chimp
Mar 9, 2005
Sweden
Hi.
Im not using all of my travel on my fork, its about 3 cm left. My weight is 84 kg and i got stock springs inside. I dont have any preload on the springs. Could it be that there is to muck oil in the fork? Ive serviced it in the winter and had 200 cl in each leg, what is the least amount of oil that i could have? The fork is a 888RC2X 2006.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
im essentially in the same boat as you, same fork same weight pretty much same problem

marzocchi tech recommends 220cc, i put 210cc in mine on the last rebuild still have a bit of problem reaching the absolute end of travel

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i spec 200ml for your typical chilean 70 kilo (160lbs) racers, dont drop below 180ml, have you guys tried playing with the X adjuster? also sometimes not all the oil drains out when you just let it drip, that can make a difference.

sixsixtysix

Monkey
Mar 6, 2005
Hell
I am in the same boat, except I am a big boy at 6'3" 250#. I have the xfirm springs and have been running 220cc of 7.5wt in each leg, except now I cant get the fork to use more than 6 1/4" of travel. It doesn't feel any harsher than normal, it just wont use all the travel so I think this week its time for a full oil change and burping.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I second Vitox's thoughts....if you are simply pouring the oil out (and not removing the free bleed needles and flushing with solvent) there can be several CCs left in the cartrage...then you add a measured volume of oil and you have an overfilled fork.

Take out a couple CC's at a time until you get the travel you want (FYI any loss of damping anywhere in the travel is a sign that you have removed too much), then take a measurement from the top of the stanchion to the oil level (springs out, fully compressed, like Marz used to do). Write this measurement down on the inside of you tool box.

Next oil change you now have an 'oil height' spec to use as a double check for the proper amount if you dont feel like completely flushing out both cartrages.

Hairyballs

Chimp
Mar 9, 2005
Sweden
Thanks alot mates, im going to pour some oil out and try otherwise ill drain it again and start with 185 cc. Maybe also mixing 5wt with 7.5wt. :clapping: Thanks again:clapping: . Now im of to ride ;)