Quantcast

Leatt Braces and Body Armor

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
So I need to start from square 1 buying armor...prolly going to buy one of the new bike specific braces but am wondering which body armor works well with it

I am thinking of either a 661 pressure suit, dainese evo or the POC spline Tee

anyone running similar setup can chime in and let me know your thoughts

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Do you do any dirt bike riding/moto stuff? If so, you might want to get the moto gpx club. If I recall, the bike version isn't supposed to be used in moto sports? Whatever leatt you buy, just make sure it's back plate is adjustable.

For sizing, you will probably want the medium unless you are young, or really thin. Their website has sizing guides.

As far as armor, I have been running the Dainese evo gladiator 6 upper body stuff for 2 years ish and it has been great. It is comfortable, not too hot (for what it is), and has saved my shoulders, elbows, and back enough times to justify the cost. I would 100% buy the same thing if I had to do it all over again.
One thing I will say is try it on before buying it. Their sizings seem to fit a "European build" module. :think:

If you didn't notice, the POC armor you mention doesn't have elbowpads too. Did you want those or not? Not sure about the 661 suit, but the evo gladiator pads are not removable.

edit:
Oh yea, the brace works just fine with the gladiator evo stuff. The back blade of the leatt slips underneath the backplate of the gladiator evo just as easily as if it were designed to be used with it.

Last edited:

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I'm currently using a Leatt with the Crash Pads upper body jacket. I hate wearing armor and this jacket is actually tolerable. Armor does not have any plastic shells, which may sound bad but I feel that it allows for a much better fit.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
still haven't decided on what to get...between the dainese and the POC spline tee..I like the POC since its slimmer and have the ability to run elbow pads or not..but on that note it seems fitting a Leatt is kinda rigged right now as people are cutting their POC's to make it work

I dont race but of course that shouldnt be a reason to protect myself...but am wondering if I really need a leatt or not

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
also, if you getting the Leatt, dont forget to pony up for the low profile padding kit intended for cycling. The stock padding is a bit thicker and intended for moto.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
total heckler-- I have tried both the POC and Dainese and pretty happy with the fit so would like to stick to either of those

Capricorn- I would be waiting for the MTB specific one to come out later this month

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
stunz: i'm not sure if this is true, but i read somewhere that the MTB specific one is actually the same substructure, but with the cycle specific padding being the only difference. Anyone confirm of refute this?

From first-hand experience, the POC SpineTee doesn't work with a Leatt without mods. :( ...And by "work" I mean setting-up the Leatt as per the "ideal" fitment recommendations, i.e. the back piece UNDER any armor/EVO plating. Shame, as the SpineTee is a very nice vest otherwise.

Therefore, I ended up running a 2010 Rockgardn Flak Jacket; the Leatt plays nice with it right out of the box. The jacket fit is excellent...not as bulky as it appears. It's a little Transformer-ish, but the protection is great, and the appearance point is moot when hidden under a jersey. The (detachable) arm guards were a little tight on the Sm/Med size, but the jacket itself fit spot on (I'm 5'10" & 155#-ish).

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
more info on the new Leatt DBX

The other key features are:

• The brace is constructed from glass-injected Nylon, whereby microscopic glass beads are infused into the plastic to increase its bond-strength. This makes for a controlled, stronger brace, without compromising the wearer’s safety.

• Certain parts of the brace are constructed from carbon-fiber that is reinforced with Kevlar®. This helps prevent the parts from shattering and sharp edges to protrude.

• At the back of the brace, fitting firmly on the muscles surrounding the spine, sits an engineered thoracic member that keeps the brace in position during an impact. This strut is designed to snap off at a certain force (roughly, one third of the force it takes to injure the spine).

• The rear-upper support acts as a crumple-zone, giving way under a severe load.

• A unique cut-out section ensures the brace and helmet helps avoid contact with the collarbone.

• Rounding off the construction of the brace is shock-absorbing Bio-foam. Biomechanically designed to help cushion the chin and contain the brace material in an accident, Bio-foam is also fully replaceable and machine-washable.

• The brace features two red-coloured clips that identifies emergency openings to paramedics.

• Leatt-Brace® is the only neck brace system that is CE certified (according to Personal Protective Equipment directive 89/686/EEC) and every product has been chemically tested and certified, so it is free of lead and other harmful additives.

• Maximum adjustability on the DBX Comp brace is achieved through six independent adjustment points and the brace is adjustable to suit most individual rider’s needs.

• Weight: approximately 790g ± 50g.

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/leatt-dbx-comp-neck-brace.html

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I've had good luck running my Leatt with my 661 Pressure Suit. Worked fine, didn't move, didn't use the straps.