Quantcast

Leatt/other neck brace fit questions

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I'm considering buying a neck brace this year, finally. I know Leatt, Alpinestars, and a few other brands make them. Question is, which ones fit best? Most comfy? Offer the best protection for the buck? I know fit is a matter of personal opinion, but I'm just looking for some input from someone who's maybe tried a few different brands, and can give me the pros and cons. I'm 6'2", 185, using a Fox Rampage at the moment. The Rampage is getting pretty tattered, so a D2 or D3 will probably be on my short list? So I guess I'd be looking for fit info with those lids as well. Thanks.

ButtersNZ

Monkey
Jun 6, 2013
Leatt DBX. I've tried Alpinestars and EVS, neither of which felt as secure or protective. I've never needed the protection a neck brace offers (touch wood) but Leatt apparently does well in both areas.

I picked mine up second hand in mint condition.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I've been using a Leatt Moto GPX Club for a long time. I got a lot of proper fit help/advice from the moto store I originally purchased it from, read up on bike use tips and got the fit dialed early on. From there, as far as comfort, it disappeared after the first hour of use.

I've since switched helmets at least three times and have definitely found some play better with the Leatt than others. As long as you're looking at new lids, settle on your brace first, set it up right, then try out helmets for compatibility. I found the ONE Gamma series interfered; Urge and most SixSixOne bike-specific helmets worked fine.

I'm intrigued by Atlas braces, especially since I can get one very reasonably, but still have concerns over a brace not designed by a medical professional versed in the mechanics of c-spine injuries and not rigorously tested like the Leatt.

Last edited:

UncleHowie

Chimp
Feb 9, 2011
Switzerland
Since I destroyed my helmet and leatt brace gpx in crash a month ago I needed some new gear.
I bought a Fox V4 and the new Leatt DBX 5.5. I'm really pleased with this combo, it fits really nice.

Dude!

Chimp
Dec 18, 2010
I have been using a Leatt GPX for a few years. I have the D3 helmet. I spent the money to the get the right combo. I also have the TLD chest protector. I stuck with the Leatt though I always wanted something a tad better. It didn't limit me too much, but it is restrictive. I would often get this weird cramp in the center of my back from trying maximize my forward look. May be it is the length of neck or general frame build.

Anyway, I recently got the new Leatt model and it much more comfortable, it has more adjustability and a bit more movement. It feels much better and still protects me.

joemosq

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
Definitely check out the Leatt DBX 5.5 mentioned above. It has great adjustments and is not as restrictive as some of the other leatt models have been for MTBing. I have been using one with a TLD D3 and that combo works well together for fitment.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
If you pick up an older gpx, make sure you flip the plastic nuts that support the back piece that pushes against your helmet. You'll get an extra bit of travel.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I give the Astars 2 thumbs up. That being said, the most important thing is fit. Most guys have shorter necks. When using C-spine collars it's most common to use the "no neck" setting for men, while women will get adjusted for longer necks. The reason I'm mentioning this is because I saw a guy at Creek wearing a Leatt with about 4" between his helmet and the brace. He was one of the few that I don't think the brace would help during an accident. Just something to consider. Try on different ones and see which one works for you.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I like the Atlas crank. It is the only one Ive used though, but I like the design and how it directs the pressure on your shoulder blades and not the spine. Also it is solid plastic and rubber foam pads so cleaning it is really simple.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I have a leatt, 2 years in it. Fit better iwth my Gyro helmet than it does my Fly Helmet, but the fly helmet is carbonz and more comfortablez so I deal with the slight lack of range of motion. It's not enough to bother me, but its there.

I have not tried other braces, my buddy rides an EVS, as does my 8 year old.

Something has to be better than nothing,