Quantcast

leatt - straps? yes? no?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
so do you guys run the chest straps with your leatt or other neck protection?

I do, and I hate them...seeing quite a few ppl running them without the straps...wondering if they are really necessary...I mean they have to do something...

is this the same as running you're protec helmet un buckled?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I don't use them because they rub my man-boobs in a way that reminds me of a belt sander on high.

The brace fits pretty good with out them, some times after a super rough section I find myself reaching up real fast to push the brace back down in the back... sorta like pulling a tear off, but no one give you props. Doesn't happen very often though.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I don't use the straps and I don't notice the brace moving at all. It still did its job when I landed on my noggin the other week.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I can't use the straps, because I need to fit the rear of the brace beneath my armor. That said, the Leatt doesn't move around while I'm riding, so I don't think the straps are needed.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
I use mine with the straps set really loose. The elastic doesnt stretch when I have them clipped, it's just to keep the back from jumping up in rough sections. If you have the straps too tight, they can prevent your chest from expanding all the way when you inhale and make you feel out of breath. I noticed this when I used to wear them tighter and I would always unclip one side when not riding. With them looser I dont have to worry about it.

I would run it strapless but I don't like it pitching forward. Plenty of people run it that way though. Straps or not, when your helmet impacts it in an accident the brace will move as far as it can, then stop when your body gets in the way and start doing what it's meant for.

Thiago

Chimp
Mar 15, 2004
House
No straps. It fits enough not to move.
And after all, if there's a crash, the helmet will push it to it's place.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
I don't wear mine with the straps either.

I think it says somewhere in the manual (yes, I read it) that if adjusted properly, you shouldn't "need" it. (that is, the brace will do its job w/o being strapped down)

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I use mine with straps and I don't notice them.
I've been also thinking about optional transparent straps.
Some pro riders, I think Danny Hart, use some other straps, that go just "thru" armpit.

stringbean

Chimp
Aug 30, 2008
dont use them, took them off in summer caus it was to hot with them on, i notice move a little, but alwaygoes back to place by it self

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
I use the strap in the front only to hold it in place. Around the back it holds my spine protector in place, with the brace under it. Have the strap quite tight but have no problem with it.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
frango mentioned "other" straps...

I currently run no straps on my Leatt but want to try and rig up an "x strap" system like the Alpinestars brace. For me the stock Leatt straps just ride up and lift the brace up... without the straps mine bounces around a bit, but if it tips forward I just gently shrug my shoulders and it falls back down in place.

The two straps crossing under your armpits (and under a jersey), seems like it would be more effective holding the brace down.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I used mine with the straps for a year, then decided to try it without. There really wasn't much of a difference at all. I have taken pretty serious crashes with and without the straps and the brace worked just how it was supposed to each time.

I am still not using the straps today.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
My helmet bumps the rear no matter how low I set it; helmet options are limitef for my enormous cranium (No, not a single fulle face MTB helmet will fit me, dont bother suggesting one - I use an HJC CLX-5 XXXL)

I think I can get used to it because Im at a comfortable position, but sometimes they are touching -- I figure the straps will help it stay settled a little better.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I have friends that run them without the straps and seem to get along just fine, most of them are bigger guys, I'm average size 150lbs so the straps help keep it where it is supposed to be.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
These are straps for my LB I made with rubber straps/bands, pieces of velcro and some buckles. There work nearly perfectly and are more comfy that oricinal, reversed T-like straps.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
frango i have made my own straps to,not with buckels but only with velcro straps from my old pressure suit & shins guards.They feel allot better now than with the origional straps.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
so do you guys run the chest straps with your leatt or other neck protection?

I do, and I hate them...seeing quite a few ppl running them without the straps...wondering if they are really necessary...I mean they have to do something...

is this the same as running you're protec helmet un buckled?
I've never run a strap with mine, but I am interested in trying it. So far I've had no problems.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Does anyone who wears their Leatt with a backbrace, wear straps too?
If so, how on earth do you do it without having your backbrace over your clothes?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
If so, how on earth do you do it without having your backbrace over your clothes?
I did. But I stopped using back protection, which appeared to be stupid idea, recently ;)
How I did that...? It was a bit tricky ;)
1st layer - thin thermo tank
2nd layer - LB with straps
3rd layer - back protection
4th layer - jersey... but, front of the jersey used to go under front LB membrane. Front LB straps used to go under jersey through little, vertical holes in the jersey made on the sides, 10-15cm under armpits
The collar of the jersey was a bit stretched, but it haven't been choking me ;)

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I took one plastic piece off my back protector and cut another piece a little to make room for the Leatt's thoracic member and the strap. I also had to cut the chest protector pieces to be able to use the Leatt.
I have a Sinisalo protection jacket, similar to this:

After the modifications it works very well with the Leatt.

I wear the protection jacket underneath, then a jersey or a t-shirt, and the Leatt on top of that.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Hmm, cant say Im a fan of the Method Frango, I tried something similar... but was too much hassle.

Verkis, I cannot stand to wear the Leatt over any sort of armour, even if the mods you made to it.

I reckon I'll just try it without straps in stead.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Here are my own made straps for my Leatt,very easy to use and it holds the brace perfect in place.It's also pretty comfortable too imo

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
I tried mine the first time I rode with it with the straps on and hated it.It felt like when the brace did ride up,it stayed there.Took them off the next run and have never looked back since.