Quantcast

Leave as it is, or strip paint, or get a respray?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well my DHi is looking a bit tatty these days, the paint is wearing through so you can see blue where there should be black (where they've sprayed it in layers to make up the graphics) etc.

Initially i was thinking a nice respray, but I think resprayed bikes tend to look really amateurish unless you reapply some decals. So I need to get some decals made, and get it painted and the decals applied where I want then lacquered over. Sounds like a lot of effort and money.

Second thought was just to leave it as it is, after all, it's only a bike, who cares.

Third thought was one that I've been putting off for a while: stripping the paint. Some of you may remember I did this to a 222 years ago, and I liked the result. I think raw frames look really nice, and seem to work even without any decals?

Plus raw frames you never have to worry about uplift damage (not that I really do anyway). And if the frame develops a crack you can spot it sooner instead of going "maybe it's just the paint cracking...)

And yes, ALSO it saves some weight, about 1/3lb off of a 222, probably a little less off of a DHi.

But then everyone takes the piss at this "extreme" measure (even though it's free and only takes an afternoon...)

Hmmm, what to do what to do :)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah, I like white decals with a black outline on raw frames, GT logo should work well.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Strip it and you'll find its already cracked.
Maybe you should just ride it in ignorance and save up for a new frame ;)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Strip it and you'll find its already cracked.
Maybe you should just ride it in ignorance and save up for a new frame ;)
Well aren't you a cheery chappy :P

FWIW I think the swingarm probably is cracking, paint is flaking off around a weld. Plenty more of them on ebay etc though, I'll crack a few more yet before I buy a different frame :P

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007

I stripped it originally and sprayed it with duplicolor spray on bedliner but i noticed it would scratch easily because i scratched it with a coin and the paint chipped. I said screw this and since I already bought new raw MTX rims I stripped it again and went with a theme. I think it looks good.