Quantcast

leg armor

ridingdown

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
just looking for a little help in the leg armor category. i have never worn it before but now i have entered a local race and was thinking it would be wise to wear some since i am going to be pushin it. all i am really concerned about is my knees, but am having a hard time finding stuff to try on. so far i have tried 661 race which felt huge, fox launch which seemed like overkill, and fox racing systems which felt the least obtrusive of all of them. what are other people's recommendations in this category. i am almost thinking i would be fine with just kneepads and no shin protection. thanks for your help

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Roach/Raceface Dh model = Ultimate Protection. Since I'm using them (1.5 year) not even a scratch on my legs. Much better from 661's, deinese, fox

Massive

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
My personal favorite: Rockgardn LZMX

I wear the Large. The top fishnet-type stuff goes around your lower thigh (w/ strap) and keeps the guards in place up top.

A week ago, I yardsaled at ~25mph at Whistler, pretty much hosed the right plastic knee cup with the initial impact and resultant slide. When I got up, the guard hadn't moved at all. Next day, only a few little areas where the top couple layers of skin had be slightly abraided...It was one of the most violent crashes I've had. And I walked away.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I use roach fr/dh pads now...IMO way to bulky for racing switchin to TLD lopes and sixsixone strait pads.
I'm only starting racing but I always can't understand why racers hate bigger protectors (well I don't even mind wearing a full face helmet on a xc trip[forgot xc one] so my friends think I'm kinda strange ;)). Does this realy slows you down in some reasonable way or you just want to feel confortable at the moment of the race?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I'm only starting racing but I always can't understand why racers hate bigger protectors (well I don't even mind wearing a full face helmet on a xc trip[forgot xc one] so my friends think I'm kinda strange ;)). Does this realy slows you down in some reasonable way or you just want to feel confortable at the moment of the race?
It's a trade-off. Bigger pads, more heat, (sometimes) less flexibility....

The other rockgardn knee/shin combo I have are the full sized ones...they work almost as well and obviously offer more protection. I use them when I'm dinkin' around with flat pedals and on some of the hairier free ride stuff...but for pure dh trails, the smaller ones are all I need...they're far more comfortable to me when putting in lots and lots of runs at Teh Whizgnar.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Well the roaches came to me me first impression after my deinese was WTF? I don't have dino legs. But now I feel super confortable in them. And if you buy the correct size the Roach/Raceface shouldn't be to hot as they have very good ventilation(compared to my old protector at least). Maybe I'm just awkward but it suits me as I live far away from the nearest dh trail and I have to catch up with the guys living in the mountains so I risk quite often.