Quantcast

Leg/shin protection

Mar 21, 2007
I am in the market for some new leg protection, I want something that isnt going to be slipping down all the time like the 661's i currently use.

Is there any peticular set that is better than the rest?

It doesnt matter which brand, I just got my pay check from work and I am going to spend whatever it takes to get a good set.

if you guys have any recomendations that would be awsome

thanks

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I love the Roach/Raceface FR pads, but the damn straps ain't worth a flip.

the Fox Launch Knee pads seem to be ok, I need more time in them to tell, but they're real comfortable..

kevkor

Chimp
May 24, 2007
PNW
I just got some of these. Only one ride so far - HOT and a pain in the ass to take off when yer all sweaty. When they get worked in, seem like they'll be really comfy though. Good movement.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I just got some of these. Only one ride so far - HOT and a pain in the ass to take off when yer all sweaty. When they get worked in, seem like they'll be really comfy though. Good movement.

If you think these are comfy, your on crack...

I've had the model before these for 2-3 years...I dont like them. I keep them though because I have better things to spend my money on, and they cover my whole leg...which is important in my nettles infested trails.

kevkor

Chimp
May 24, 2007
PNW
If you think these are comfy, your on crack...

I've had the model before these for 2-3 years...I dont like them. I keep them though because I have better things to spend my money on, and they cover my whole leg...which is important in my nettles infested trails.
Notice I said when they get worked in. Right now they are not all that comfy but bearable. I guess your response means they won't get more comfortable.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
get the fox launch pads..there around $70.00
How do the straps hold up? While I love the roach/Raceface's, and they're REAL comfortable, the straps tear away (stitches) from the shin gaurds themselves. I mean for no reason, not even a wreck or anything.....

So I got the Launch. Now, they feel real comfortable, so I just hope they last.

mntbiker2

Monkey
Jun 30, 2007
How do the straps hold up? While I love the roach/Raceface's, and they're REAL comfortable, the straps tear away (stitches) from the shin gaurds themselves. I mean for no reason, not even a wreck or anything.....

So I got the Launch. Now, they feel real comfortable, so I just hope they last.
they have been really good for me so far...havent torn and are very comfortable!

Mar 21, 2007
what about the new troy lee ones?? i was with Tara Llanes the other weekend and she had a pair, they looked pretty nice, at least i think hers were the new ones, i think ther the lopes ones???

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i love my fox launch pads, they're awesome. they stay a little cooler than other pads i've tried, and i've beat them pretty bad with no signs of wear other than gouges in the plastic. the memory foam knee thing is nice too.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Mar 21, 2007

those are the ones i ride with now, they are always slipping down, but now that i think about it, i might try a medium, i have always worn a large, i really wished i had them on today, i was out screwwing around in town, started pogoing and slipped my right pedal and it went strait into my shin

ohh well, live and learn

thanks for all the help guys

Carn75

Chimp
May 10, 2007
South Jersey
I went with the 661 Race knee/shin combo.They a seperate sock/strap for the knee that prevents slipping.I've had them on for about 9-10 rides and love em.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
I've always been a fan of the Roach Rallys. I had a set of the DHs which I had that perfect fit but got a bit warm and recently got a sweet deal on the FRs from JensenUSA.

Never encountered slippage and they arent too restrictive.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
any tall guys tried the lopes guards? Are they big enough? what about the THE storms. I've been using the launch for a few years now, but they are kind of moving a lot when i crash and doing little

Jun 20, 2007
I have been using the Raceface (same as Roach) FR leg shin for years, and they do not slip. Excellent protection, fairly comfortable, and they do not slip. I have not had any problems with the straps. Highly recommended.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
i have the same raceface/roach pads and shattered them on a bail. I am buying the 661 race or race lites. They stay put and the knee moves easy without moving the shin section.

Mar 21, 2007
ironic, i just slipped a pedal last night, close to needing stitches, probably could use them but i just used those butterfly bandaids, and today i slipped same pedal and the pins went right into the same cuts and dug them way deeper, woulda gone for stitches but i have plans do ride some street with some guys tonight,

im thinking about going for the launches or the roach/raceface ones

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
ironic, i just slipped a pedal last night, close to needing stitches, probably could use them but i just used those butterfly bandaids, and today i slipped same pedal and the pins went right into the same cuts and dug them way deeper, woulda gone for stitches but i have plans do ride some street with some guys tonight,

im thinking about going for the launches or the roach/raceface ones
Those seem to be the best two choices.

bsphere

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
i'm currently using lizard skins knee/shin combo,
they were good to me for about 2 years until 2 days ago my knee hit a rock and that combo slipped :(

i'm looking for new protection gear, thought about 661 or some other knee guards but i'm afraid of pedal slipping. what should i get ?

teamcurtis

Chimp
May 29, 2008
so i see everyone recommending all the 661 stuff but no mention of the 661 race. are they any good?

As for slipping a pedal on an urban ride I'd look into old school BMX style shin gurads. way more comforable.

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
I have the Fox Launch. They're awesome. The X-up straps keeps them in place and everything. Never slipped once. And I don't think the straps will break anytime soon. They're held to the pads by a plastic loop thingy, they're not actually stitched into the pads themselves.