Quantcast

Legal Shuttle area.

wheelchaser

Chimp
Apr 11, 2005
Renton, Wa
Looking for a legal shuttle area? Like roots, rocks, and dirt?

Reiter Trails by goldbar has existing trails that are shuttle ready. The land is owned by DNR and is an Orv area. The dirt is good but usually gets blown away leaving techy roots and rocks.

When you run into dirtbikers don't be rude, they are our allies and build maintain clean up the area.:thumb:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
wheelchaser said:
We can't even hear other dirtbikers, head ons sucks.
That's definitely the scary part about leading on the trail. Even in 2nd in line I've almost had a collison with some mx bikes while on my atv!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
LumberJack said they used to shuttle Walker Valley (South of Mt Vernon) but for the life of me I have difficulty figuring out how they could drive efficiently to where they could drop off riders.....at least now. I think some access/logging roads have been blocked since they shuttled Walker Valley.

Maybe there is a "special way" to get up on that ridge without a long ride/drive?

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
How far are these places from seattle. I have been looking for somthing to shuttle since I moved here, went to 38 but that was so short barley worth shuttling and now I heard you could get a big fine.
If you would be willing to show me that would be sweet, guess have to wait untell summer. Also been looking for a place to build.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I'm still trying to figure out how you can decently shuttle Reiter without a Unimog or just hauling the bikes up on a quad.
The "roads" out there are not for the faint of heart.

If you could get on the the Wallace Lake Road, you could shuttle all the way up to the falls and come dowm that crazy trail from the top into Rieter. But, we've always just ridden up it. Plus, the river crossing can be sketchy.

To get there, head for the Wallace Falls State Park off Hwy 2 and stay on May Creek road past the trailer park....

wheelchaser

Chimp
Apr 11, 2005
Renton, Wa
Borneo said:
I'm still trying to figure out how you can decently shuttle Reiter without a Unimog or just hauling the bikes up on a quad.

If you could get on the the Wallace Lake Road, you could shuttle all the way up to the falls and come dowm that crazy trail from the top into Rieter. But, we've always just ridden up it. Plus, the river crossing can be sketchy.

To get there, head for the Wallace Falls State Park off Hwy 2 and stay on May Creek road past the trailer park....
There are some pretty new trails up there that would lend themselves to shuttling and the road you would use is in good shape. There is more vert than Duval and the drive to get there is paved.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
About half of the trails in the Cascade Mountains open to mt. bikes have relatively close road access, but many times to get to the goods you gotta still climb a little bit. Some trails more than others, but 3 to 15 miles of downhill is pretty fun when you drop an average of 2000 to 4000 ft. Plus the variety is pretty good ranging from groomed smooth to steep gnarl kinda like Rieter, but of course in many ways, way better than Reiter.

But of course most all of em are buried in snow most of the year.

i see alot of moto's on the trails, a good tip when riding a place with alot of moto's is to turn your head to blind corners so the wind isn't making it hard to hear. What we like bombing down at mad speeds is boring to them, but fun for them to climb at speeds, deadly combo. i've had an encounter at a blind corner at Green Mt. and i just high sided right off the trail, only thing you can do sometimes.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
My uncle and I re-opened the "Mossy Rock" @ Rieter after they had a timber sale that ruined most of it, that was well over 7 or 8 years ago, haven't been up in over 6 years to that area though. Was a fun trail, it's shuttleable but its a long shuttle. We managed to do it at the time with his little 2 wheel drive mazda pickup with almost no ground clearance. It was a heck of a drive but do-able in a decent rig. Not sure if any riders are familiar with the trail. Maybe I'll see if he wants to head out and check the trail conditions sometime. Awesome rooty/rocky terrain, more technical then most trails around here. It'll put good riders on their head quick if they arent careful.

And yes, shuttling isn't easy. I dunno, maybe a lame idea but a laminated sign on a steak that someone placed at both ends of a trail might be a decent safety heads up. Won't stop head ons but would at least worn anyone there are other users there to watch out. Pick them up when you leave type of thing. Then again for most downhillers lifting a finger might be too much work.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
mplutodh1 said:
And yes, shuttling isn't easy. I dunno, maybe a lame idea but a laminated sign on a steak that someone placed at both ends of a trail might be a decent safety heads up. Won't stop head ons but would at least worn anyone there are other users there to watch out. Pick them up when you leave type of thing. Then again for most downhillers lifting a finger might be too much work.
We should always assume we aren't the only rider out on trails. Be it multi use or only MTB's. We need to look out for one and another.

When I ride in a moto area, I know I can hear them before they can see me. I pull over. My day isn't ruined.

When I ride moto and see MTBr's (Like in Tahuya/Bellfair) I try and stop and give them a heads up to trail conditions and other riders in my group. Trail courtesy. ONce again my trail ride isn't ruined and I continue on after a 30 second conversation.

Trail respect, I guess.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Borneo said:

The main road above the pond going to the (edit) Relay Tower (/edit) isn't bad really....my 2wd get me stuck in wet grass dakota does it without hesitation. :D there are a couple spots were you need to be weary of where you are driving but overall the road is driven by all cars and even my buddies lowered Chev S-10. :thumb:

Never been stuck driving the main dirt road to the top....well I stop short of going to the Idex wall because those extreme 4x4 guys (you know where the only thing Toyota on their roll cage extreme machine is the engine) go there to play and sometimes get towed out. I am not taking my truck back in there. :D

Edit: Water tower...I meant Relay towers :rolleyes: Sorry. Also the look out over teh Idex rock wall is awsome if you get a chance.

Mut

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Renton, WA
I did some scouting on the dirt bike a month and half ago, past the pond is a freeway of a shuttle road. little bumpy, but in good shape. I found a shorter section of trail that'd be good for short shuttles that's pretty steep in a couple spots, no up hills or anything that I recall, with roots and good dirt. the trail would probly be 2 mins at race pace. maybe. I ran out of gas by the time i found the good shuttle road. But that place could be the next area to dh in western wa.

Jun 18, 2004
If the rain lets up some I think I will drive out there and scope it out... maybe stop off at another place to ride on the way back...

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
gooch said:
anyone interested in a day of scouting on gas powered rigs?
I have a quad and would like to check out the area for DH.....
I'm sure you could convince Jason and I to head on up there with ya as it would be a good excuse to get out there for a ride :D

gooch

Monkey
May 16, 2002
Outside Seattle
Velocity Girl said:
I'm sure you could convince Jason and I to head on up there with ya as it would be a good excuse to get out there for a ride :D
Sounds good. I'll try and make sure no family emergencies come up again..

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
And there's always Cap4 in Oly. $5 for the Peak bike shop to shuttle you to the top on Sunday mornings. Killer deal and lots of terrain to cover!!

Jabuttri

Monkey
Sep 16, 2005
Bellingham & Portland
Where to shuttle in the PNW?
anybody thought of seymore on the North Shore?
CBC is pretty armored now so it should be winter rideable between snow periods and the lower sruff will always be clear.