Quantcast

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Here's the scene on the front range in Colorado -- The snow started at 7 or 8 this morning and has been going steady since. The pictures were taken at about 1:00 -- I'd imagine another 5-8" has fallen since then. I think it's supposed to keep going until about noon tomorrow, so we should have a good 2 feet at least by then. Anyway, here are the pictures:

Huzzah!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, it seems as if there will indeed be some powder at the slopes. Too bad all the roads are closed. Haha, this vacation rocks.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
There was 17" on the deck about 30 minutes ago. Funny thing is most of this snow is not making it into the mountains. I heard Summit County has only seen 4" today.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I drove home from work at 2pm, major roads were 'usable'. Got to within two blocks of my house before I had to abandon my car as the residential streets are jacked up. Sure hope they don't find a way to tow my car.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I'm stuck down in La Junta. The only thing open is Walmart. Looks like a lunchable and Chili Chese Fritos for dinner. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow morning.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The snow down here goes up to the hood of my Civic, and there's easily 4-5 drifts in a lot of spots. Roads are definitely impassible to most.
Just took the Urabus out on the culdesac to make sure I can get out in the morning. Made 4 passes up & down the street to plow things out.

If we get another foot I might have my work cut out for me... but as of this point in time it's H-hour minus 8. :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
They said it might be as bad as the 03 storm. That is three days of my life spent with my boss and her husband I would like back.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
The ruler stuck in the snow on the table on the deck is reading 22" right now. The two piles of snow at the end of the driveway are both 7'+. We had to shovel part of the street to get them that big but damn they look cool.

I think we were a little bored tonight.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
We made it to winter park tuesday before the snow and spent most of the day yesterday trying to snowboard. It was badass. But now we are stuck here, and if we make it back to Denver we will be stuck there. I'm starting too think snow isn't all its cracked up to be.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Due to the strength and duration of Wednesday's winter storm, Mayor John Hickenlooper has extended the closure of most city offices through Thursday, December 21, 2006. The directive effects all City Agency non-emergency personnel. Employees involved in emergency operations, including, but not limited to the City's snow response, travel operations and public safety will continue to be schedule for duty.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i hear its a state of emergency now

is this true
yes.

It's not like a hurricane SoE with death and destruction, but the greater denver and colorado springs areas are basically shut down.

We've got ~2feet of snow at our house in the last 24 hours and it's still coming down :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
We just finished an hour's worth of shoveling.

I also knocked the snow from my neighbor's tree, but only our side of the property line so if the fvcker falls, it's going to hit their house, not ours :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
mighty neighborly of ya :disgust:
well, it is HIS tree on HIS property and he never cared that the branches and debris lean over and fall onto our property that we have to clean up cuz his lazy ass does nothing about eventho he specifically acknowledged that it's HIS responsibility.

So, uhh, who's the neighborly one?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
yes.

It's not like a hurricane SoE with death and destruction, but the greater denver and colorado springs areas are basically shut down.

We've got ~2feet of snow at our house in the last 24 hours and it's still coming down :D
There's easily 2-3ft almost everywhere down at my house, with 4-6ft drifts near houses/fences. And it's still coming down, except not with as much wind now...

We just got done shoveling about an hour, and thankfully our north facing house got the best of the storm this time, and only half our driveway even had snow on it from all the blowing. Of course it was knee deep, but the neighbors across the street have 3-4ft blown up across their entire driveway. :clapping: Although we did shovel part of the street to unbury my car and move it into the driveway, so if a snowplow actually comes I'm not stuck for the next week. I mean...the snow already was up to the hood all the way around. :p

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
What I want to know is, does the city of Denver still use garbage trucks to pack the snow down, in lieu of real plows? Yes, I'm dating myself, I sure was glad to live in Jeffco back then, where they actually did use plows...

gg

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Just finished shoveling the drive and three neighbors driveways. I went got my truck stuck about 100 yards from the house(somewhat on purpose) called into work said I can't get out of the neighborhood. Now we are eating lunch then jumping into the roomates Jeep and going to go play in the snow.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Alright, got shoveled out! Laura, FT, Opie, TN anyone else.......beer tomorrow night, perhaps? I'll chech dis thread later

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Last night was the first time I've ever skied to work. Kicked ass! Skiing home this morning rocked; empty streets, and super quiet.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I WANT SNOW!
Overnight: A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low around 46. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Friday: Periods of rain, mainly after 1pm. High near 57. Southeast wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Friday Night: Periods of rain. Low around 55. Southeast wind between 8 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

Saturday: Showers likely, mainly before 2pm. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 64. East wind 7 to 9 mph becoming west. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between one and two inches possible.
Stupid freakin 60+ degree weather with rain at the END OF DECEMBER!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Naw. It ain't gonna be that bad. We got 40+ inches out of that one. I don't think we've even gotten 20 yet. :D
My brother left me a message, 32 inches in Boulder.

He had no problems getting around in his Landcruiser.

Did you get to ski?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My brother left me a message, 32 inches in Boulder.

He had no problems getting around in his Landcruiser.

Did you get to ski?
Yup. This storm was *much* easier than the '03 storm. The snow was lighter and as a result a bunch easier to get through.

It wasn't a cakewalk, though - I got stuck twice on my way out to meet my buddy Thursday a.m. to go skiing & our other buddy got denied because they shut down 93 between Boulder & Golden.

Built a snow cave in the front yard today. :thumb:

Edit: Out in our neck of the woods we were rumored to have gotten ~28 inches.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Ha, yeah, no kidding -- it has been at least 5 or 6 years since we've had one. It snowed here in Boulder for a couple of hours -- got an inch or two more, but that's about it.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Here we go again...

My area in CSprings is forecasted to receive 8-14" as of this morning. My driveway's already covered and it's only been snowing like 45minutes.

I just hope I can get out to go skiing tomorrow. :D

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Well it is to warm here for snow, if the temps do not start falling all we are going to get is this rain snow mix.