Quantcast

Let the trash talking begin

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
From Cyclingnews:

Lance Armstrong will not take the start of the fourth stage of Paris-Nice, as the cold, snowy weather and fatigue from jetlag has caught up with him. Discovery Channel press spokesman Jogi Muller told Cyclingnews on Wednesday evening that Armstrong will return to his home base in Girona tomorrow and will re-evaluate his race program based on how he feels.

Armstrong had a lacklustre start to his European season and was lying in 62nd place after today's stage. In comparison, he last raced Paris-Nice in 1999, when he finished 61st overall. But that year marked the first of his record six Tour de France wins.

Lance looking a bit tired.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
BikeGeek said:
or is it acting to inflate the competion's confidence?

Well, that has happened in prior years. I think it's so funny how much stock everyone puts in every little thing he does and says. Even before today's drop out, people were saying he wasn't going to start, he isn't on form, Kloden is gonna win... yadda yadda yadda

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Heidi said:
Well, that has happened in prior years. I think it's so funny how much stock everyone puts in every little thing he does and says. Even before today's drop out, people were saying he wasn't going to start, he isn't on form, Kloden is gonna win... yadda yadda yadda
Is it me or does the road community sometimes act like it's in a giant soap opera?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i still say he will not win this year's tour.

basing an opinion on him by a picture has already been proven to be a bad idea. what year did he embarass Jan with "The Look"? was that 3yrs ago?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Keep in mind that 2 of the 3 stages have been cut in distance due to bad weather (one even to just 53km). In a race which means absolutely nothing in terms of preparation for the TdF, dropping out as opposed to racing in horrible conditions seems like a good idea.

If Lance dropped out of one of the TdF prep races, like the Tour De Romandie, then he has a big problem...

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Its frickin March fer crissake! Being out of shape now is good if peaking in July is your target. He's probably still riding base miles.

:)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
wooglin said:
Its frickin March fer crissake! Being out of shape now is good if peaking in July is your target. He's probably still riding base miles.

:)
base
ahhahahahha
base.....
HAHAHAHAHAHA

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I don;t think him pulling out of that race makes any difference. It's the smart thing to do rather than make him self sicker in the cold. He doesn;t need to race in the cold for training. I'd be very surprised if he does win this year, simply because last year he prolly had the most motivation he's had since his first win. HE's already made history and the fact he doesn;t seem sure of what he's doing would hake it hard to focus on training.

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
-2 is nothing, I'll go out in that and once I am warmed up, wearing a t-shirt and shorts would be ideal.

For the past few days during the night(which is when I am usually out) it has been anywhere from -10 to -25 which is cold at first, maybe the first 5 minutes, but then I need to roll up my sleeves or I'll cook.

I guess that's what I get for living in Toronto, where half the year is freezing and the other half is boiling.

The weather conditions that they are having for the paris-nice race would be a bit scary to ride in.

On sharp corners if you hit a little patch of ice you're down, but I'm sure that they have a crew to take care of all that.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
chriskaiser said:
-2 is nothing, I'll go out in that and once I am warmed up, wearing a t-shirt and shorts would be ideal.

For the past few days during the night(which is when I am usually out) it has been anywhere from -10 to -25 which is cold at first, maybe the first 5 minutes, but then I need to roll up my sleeves or I'll cook.

I guess that's what I get for living in Toronto, where half the year is freezing and the other half is boiling.

The weather conditions that they are having for the paris-nice race would be a bit scary to ride in.

On sharp corners if you hit a little patch of ice you're down, but I'm sure that they have a crew to take care of all that.
You must have a different motabolism or more fat. I know that I could never ride in that temp with anything less than full body coverage and many top layers. I jsut freeze in the cold. I can imagine LAnce isn;t used to the cold because he's been training in warmer climates i believe.
It would be stupid for him to risk an injury, I think thats part of his success in the TdF is he never seems to get injured or sick.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Cold temps don't bother these guys, but they were racing in wet conditions. I think anyone who has trained in winter conditions knows that rain or snow is time for the indoor trainer.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
sanjuro said:
Cold temps don't bother these guys, but they were racing in wet conditions. I think anyone who has trained in winter conditions knows that rain or snow is time for the indoor trainer.

says who?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
sanjuro said:
Sure they do, they;re just tough and go out in it. Doesn;t mean that they don't chatch colds from it. If you're used to racing and training in warm weather, which i believe lance is, it's not good to suddenly jump into cold like that.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
JMAC said:
Sure they do, they;re just tough and go out in it. Doesn;t mean that they don't chatch colds from it. If you're used to racing and training in warm weather, which i believe lance is, it's not good to suddenly jump into cold like that.
Since you want to be a doctor, you do not catch a cold from being out in the wet and cold. Colds are viruses, and you must come in contact with the virus to get a cold.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Wumpus said:
Since you want to be a doctor, you do not catch a cold from being out in the wet and cold. Colds are viruses, and you must come in contact with the virus to get a cold.
Yeah wise ass. Cold and wet lowers you're immune system. SOOOOO when you do come in contact with a person who has a cold you're more likely to get it.
I learned that in grade 2..... ;)