Quantcast

let's talk herbs

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
just for SS.

fresh herbs are the only way to roll. dried stuff in a glass jar? you might as well use cat litter.

top 5:

basil (nothing beats the smell of fresh basil)
parsley (flat leaf, please)
cilantro
rosemary
sage

oregano is nice too, as is marjoram. not a big dill fan, nor do i find myself using tarragon all that much.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I'd switch up the order, but narlus's list is spot on. Like ito, I'd also add bay. It grows wild all over here and I seem to end up with another jar full of leaves after every backpacking trip. All my thyme died :( and the mint is struggling along. And I'm like, "wtf mint? I have neighbors who can't get rid of you, why do you have to languish in such pitiful mediocrity?"

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I tried growing a bay plant once too. No dice. I'd really like to get rosemary going because fresh rosemary is sooooooooo good.
we had a bush of rosemary growing in our front yard in ireland. came in very handy for the roasted lamb dishes.

you are probably in an area too dry to grow it, w/o a lot of diligent watering.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
OG, i forgot thyme...i use that a lot, def more so than sage. mint, here and there, and i think i want to use it more. chives, not so much.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Mint, apple mint in particular. Just make sure to plant it within a pot in the garden otherwise it'll take over. Also love rosemary, lemon verbena, thai basil, dill, etc. Summer is here!:clapping:

toby

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Wild peppermint works as a decent Basil substitute when you are making pasta, pizza, or calzones deep in the Tetons on the trail from all sorts of dehydrated nasty camping food stuffs. The hard part is baking them on a camp stove with only one setting.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
we had a bush of rosemary growing in our front yard in ireland. came in very handy for the roasted lamb dishes.

I think it was the cold that did it in... I don't think it's built for subzero conditions.

Our friends had a friggin' rosemary *hedge* growing in their place down near La Spezia. Good stuff... :drool:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Maybe I overwatered it:

Since it is attractive and tolerates some degree of drought, it is also used in landscaping, especially in areas having a Mediterranean climate. It can in fact die in over-watered soil, but is otherwise quite easy to grow for beginner gardeners.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I've got rosemary, thyme, flat leaf parsley, basil, and chives growing out front. Those seem to be the ones I use the most, so that's what I planted...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have two massive rosemary plants in my garden, plus I just planted mint about 2 months back and it's going nuts. Also have chives, basil, parsley, thyme and oregano, all doing great. Also my lettice is going nuts, cabbage and broccoli not so much. Leeks are doing OK. Lemon tree is going all out too.

Nov 8, 2006
Del Mar
garlic, basil, butter, and olive oil, simmered on a pan for a few minutes makes for the best pasta sauce i've ever tasted. I like to cut some fresh tomatoes into that too.

I also have a nice rosemary plant growing in my yard, i use it on chicken, lamb, steak, and pork chops all the time, and it's great.

don't find myself using much bayleaves, mint or oregano...

sage is nice, used wisely and conservatively.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
just for SS.

fresh herbs are the only way to roll. dried stuff in a glass jar? you might as well use cat litter.

top 5:

basil (nothing beats the smell of fresh basil)
parsley (flat leaf, please)
cilantro
rosemary
sage

oregano is nice too, as is marjoram. not a big dill fan, nor do i find myself using tarragon all that much.
Hmmm...I don't use sage nearly enough for it to be in my top 5 so I would switch it out with thyme or chives. I do like bay leaves too :think:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I think it was the cold that did it in... I don't think it's built for subzero conditions.

Our friends had a friggin' rosemary *hedge* growing in their place down near La Spezia. Good stuff... :drool:
Rosemary grows like a freakin' weed over in California. I remember going to Safeway for some rosemary and finding it overly expensive. I walked across the street and picked as much as I wanted from the giant hedge of it that grew along the campus walkway.

Grew up with a full herb garden outside my front door and what I didn't have there could be found on the trails down the street (bay, mint, a few others I forget). That and stolen avocados and oranges made the summer days so much better.

The Ito

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I got growing in the garden....
Rosemary
thyme
Oregano
Basil
Mint
Parsley (flat and curly)

One my wish list to grow is Lemon grass (will have to grow that indoors though as it's too cold here) and Sage.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Dude....there's already a thread about herbs....

oh wait...THOSE kind of herbs....gotcha

Basil, rosemary, oregano are my favs. I hate cilantro in most stuff. My mom used to grow them I don't think she has an herb garden at our new house yet though.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Rosemary grows like a freakin' weed over in California. I remember going to Safeway for some rosemary and finding it overly expensive. I walked across the street and picked as much as I wanted from the giant hedge of it that grew along the campus walkway.

Grew up with a full herb garden outside my front door and what I didn't have there could be found on the trails down the street (bay, mint, a few others I forget). That and stolen avocados and oranges made the summer days so much better.

The Ito
I've crashed off of a trail in Orange County and came out smelling like rosemary. Prickly as hell in the summer when it's dry though...