Quantcast

let's talk spices

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
what are your top 5 used dry spices, not counting salt and pepper?

cumin
coriander
dry mustard
fennel seeds
allspice

the 1st two are far and away the top, but garlic/onion powder, turmeric, chili powder (regular, ancho and chipotle), cayenne pepper, and others get regular use.

last night i used the mortar and pestle and mashed together a clove, some cinnamon bark, fenugreek, cumin seeds and star anise.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hard to put them in order. We definitely use crushed red pepper, paprika, saffron, different chili powders, star anise, cinammon, coriander, fennel seed, mustard, cumin, curry, ginger, and turmeric. I pretty much never use dried green spices like oregano or whatever or dried garlic or onion powder.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
my spice list top five reads as....>

Chilli powder
Cummin
Coriander
Curry
Cayanne

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Let's refine the definition of spice for the sake of reducing pedantry. ahahah. seriously, though.

1] from wiki

A spice is a dried seed, fruit, root, bark or vegetative substance used in nutritionally insignificant quantities as a food additive for the purpose of flavoring.
2] from Princeton University:

(n1) spice (aromatic substances of vegetable origin used as a preservative)
(n2) spice (any of a variety of pungent aromatic vegetable substances used for flavoring food)
3] from Merriam-Webster:

1 : any of various aromatic vegetable products (as pepper or nutmeg) used to season or flavor foods
I would have checked with the OED, but I won't pay for the privilege.

So.

I partially disagree on the Rosemary not being a spice.

It IS a vegetative substance. In my mind, dried and ground it is a spice, . Fresh it's an herb.

Garlic is not referred to as either a spice or an herb, but dried and ground it is...usually...a spice. [it's a lily bulb root, if you wanna know!]

Properly dried herbs and spices can have concentrated flavors. They can also have NO flavor. Saying that 'Dried Spices are Crap' is - to my mind, silly as hell.

No, no one actually said 'Dried Spices' but the topic was 'Spices' and then the statements were 'dried is crap'.

Now, being a total pedant, I disclude any 'spice mixtures' as a 'spice' - that means garam masala, italian seasoning, curry powder etc. Once special exception I'll make is 'chili powder' - essentially just mixed, smoked and roasted medium capsicum peppers of various species.

One that I've noticed missing is Mustard Powder. It's in the top ten for me.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's just a preference thing, personally I don't like the taste of dried herbs like oregano, basil, rosemary. It works for some people and I can surely see advantages in a high-volume, professional context.

And mustard is on Narlus' list you friggin pedant.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I should try mustard powder. I don't think I've ever used it. Use actual mustard all the time.

Besides the obvious garlic, onion, s&p that everyone uses.

cumin
paprika
thyme
sage
ginger
various chili powders - usually cayanne

And although it's not really a spice, I really like Lemon Pepper - especially on fish.

I only use dried herbs (rosemary) for color/texture sometimes. I can rarely taste it. I also use poppy seeds for the same reason.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
It's just a preference thing, personally I don't like the taste of dried herbs like oregano, basil, rosemary. It works for some people and I can surely see advantages in a high-volume, professional context.

And mustard is on Narlus' list you friggin pedant.
heh.

thanks.

:busted:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Oooh, do pepercorns count?

Not dried ones, jarred/pickled. I used it for the first time making a roast the other day and am now a fan.
I'd count them, but they're so modified that they could be considered a 'flavoring agent' like preserved lemons or peanuts or such...

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen.

...who encompasses his doom! ahhahahahahhahahah!

I used to have the sound track to that film. Styx, wasn't it? no, wait a minute...Toto! yeah, that was it.

Off to beddybye.

g'night, y'all.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
In no particular oorder...

white pepper
balck pepper
cumin
hungarian paprika
five spice mix (does this count)
my homemade smoked habanero powder

we use much more but these are the tops.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
cumin
coriander
dry mustard
fennel seeds
allspice
Because of their versatility I'd have to say:
Cumin (Latin, middle eastern, and asian)
Corriander (Latin, middle eastern, asian)
Oregano (Latin and Middle eastern
Anatto (a ground red seed from Mexico used in the Yucatan)
Tumeric (middle eastern and asian)
Lemongrass

Rounding out the list are:
Sumac
Smoked paprika
Toasted sesame seeds
Thyme
Sage

That's is for the dry spices...

I also always have the following on hand.
Garlic
Fresh ginger
Thai yellow curry paste
Cilantro
Fresh Thai basil (the purple stuff)
Yuzu sauce (a lemon like citrus from Japan)
Kafir Lime leaves

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
What?

You are in Cali, right?
How can you kill Rosemary? Was it outdoors in the ground?
I've tried to kill rosemary, but it fought back and took over the whole herb garden. then it started stealing food from the cats dish, pulled the rims off my old MBZ, murdered the lawn and some of the garden furniture disappeared.

So Cal: The Land that Rosemary Owned.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
How do you make it? what do you use to grind them into powder? do you remove the seeds, etc..?
I put 'em in my smoker until they are done then I de-seed them & put them in my grinder, an old coffee grinder, & whir away (beware of flying dust when you open/pour this.....it is like being pepper sprayed).

We have a normal spice shaker sized container half full now from the batch I made in 2005. It is hot (not as hot as raw hab) & has that great fruity flavor with an awesome smokiness. We put it on everything just about.

Narlus...I use it in conjuction with balck pepper pretty much laways & especially on most seafood, in lieu of BP. I really like it in sauces & in potato potage & well just about everything really. It has a great depth & muskiness to it. The heat is on the back of the palate unlike black pepper where the heat is all up front.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Anatto (a ground red seed from Mexico used in the Yucatan)
I havent seen this anywhere other than the yucatan, altough I am sure Penzey's prolly has it.
We love Tikin Xic...a Mayan recipe with grilled snapper with an annato/chili paste. damn, I am hungry now.

Have you got any recipes to use with it?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
What?

You are in Cali, right?
How can you kill Rosemary? Was it outdoors in the ground?
No - it was in a pot. I'm in Colorado. I'm pretty sure I overwatered it. I'm not sure it will survive -20 degree temps so I didn't put it outside...

Edit: found my problem, I think:

Some varieties claim survival to -15 degrees if grown sheltered and near an outside wall. However, don't count on this. In cold climates, plan on bringing it inside in early fall, or treat it as an annual and replace it each year.

Bringing rosemary inside during the winter is a little tricky. You don't want to over water it, but at the same time it shouldn't become bone dry either. Water when the section of the soil is dry and then only water a small amount. Don't drench it. Keep it in a southern window where it will get plenty of sunshine. It also needs good air circulation--no stuffy rooms.