Quantcast

Liberals who secretly support high gas prices are screwing over their buddies...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
A lot of libs are secretly joyful that gas prices are on the rise because, in their eyes, it spells doom for the hated SUV and their wealthy drivers.

But....

High gas prices widen divide between rich and poor
Tue Aug 16, 7:49 AM ET

Though the price of gasoline has risen by more than 60 cents a gallon in the past year, economists have been quick to note that the impact has been limited. That's because the role of energy in today's high-tech, high-finance, health care economy is much smaller than it was in the 1970s, when surging energy costs wreaked economic havoc.

But though the current price spike is unlikely to generate stagflation or bring back WIN (Whip Inflation Now) buttons, it is being keenly felt by low-income workers, who spend a larger portion of their income on necessities such as food and fuel. For someone who drives 15,000 miles a year and gets 20 miles per gallon, a 60-cent jump means an extra $450 a year at the gas pump.

Though that might not seem like such a big deal to those in the more comfortable classes, it's far from trivial for workers already struggling with soaring costs for housing and health care.

Consider the cruel calculus of rising fuel prices faced by low- and moderate-income workers in high-priced communities. Many have been forced in recent years to commute longer distances because of rising housing costs. Now, they have to pay more to commute.

Adding to the misery is a undeniable fact: Oil prices are rising because of economic growth both at home and abroad that many workers are not benefiting from. The recovery in the United States has done wonders for corporate profits and upper-income pay, but it has hardly budged hourly wages. Explosive growth in countries such as China and India means that workers here not only have to compete against workers in these countries for jobs but also for natural resources such as oil.

Rising fuel prices will have some impact on overall spending patterns. Money that goes into tanking up is money not spent at Best Buy, Wal-Mart or Starbucks. Energy-consuming industries such as airlines and trucking will suffer.

But the biggest impact of rising costs might be social rather than economic. They will accentuate the growing divisions between those eking out a living and those who find themselves well-off.

The good news from today's oil price spike is that overall pain might be limited. The bad news is that it will be felt principally by those least equipped to handle it.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I didn't even read the article, just the headline, but I will say absolutely I support higher gasoline prices. Of course, I wish it were because we weer taxing the sh!t out of it, and putting that money towards paying off the defecit and supporting renewable energy research, rather than going to energy cos.

It's funny how a year or two ago, at the hint of an additional gas tax (25 cents incrementally over 5 years I think was the Clinton plan) conservatives warned it would bankrupt the working american... they seem to be getting along okay, even at $2.75 a gallon. Now at 60 cents in a year, we're finally starting to see hints of stress at the bottom of the economy. Yeah, I'm sure that's much tougher on low income families than healthcare costs... :rolleyes:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Anyone with half a brain can figure out how to use less gas.

Archslater

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Indianapolis
N8 said:
A lot of libs are secretly joyful that gas prices are on the rise because, in their eyes, it spells doom for the hated SUV and their wealthy drivers.

But....

Interesting, the premise of this article is exactly the same reason that a flat tax will never work......... but I digress.......

I'm with Ohio, I wish we taxed gas more heavily, and hope the prices stay high. It stings a little in the short term, but long term it will lead to more efficient vehicles, and it will motivate people to search harder for alternative fuels. Also taxing gas higher could relieve property and income taxes, which would help the poor.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Archslater said:
Also taxing gas higher could relieve property and income taxes, which would help the poor.
Relieving property taxes helps the poor...what, indirectly?

Poor people have no property to tax.

:think:

I think vehicles should be proportionally taxed as well as fuel. Passenger vehicles with high curb weight and low mpg should get nailed.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
H8R said:
Relieving property taxes helps the poor...what, indirectly?

Poor people have no property to tax.

:think:

I think vehicles should be proportionally taxed as well as fuel. Passenger vehicles with high curb weight and low mpg should get nailed.

Yet the laws of supply and demand would raise the prices of more efficient vehicles and drop the prices of less efficient used ones...

Wanna guess what kind of cars the 'poor' will be driving...?

Way to screw them!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
N8 said:
Yet the laws of supply and demand would raise the prices of more efficient vehicles and drop the prices of less efficient used ones...

Way to screw them!
At first.

There used to be a demand for bigg ass gass guzzlers. Wait, "demand" is not the right word, because that's all there was. Rich and oor people drove those.

Then we had the wave of smaller, fuel efficient cars in the 70's and 80's. Guess what used cars the poor were driving in the late 80's and 90's?

Ever been to the ghetto? A few big cars, mostly little beat up four bangers.

If we get another wave of fuel efficient vehicles there will be a lag of a decade or so, but eventually the poor will be driving those too. We just need to wait until all the H2's start hitting the junkyards and the hybrids mature.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
N8 said:

Way to screw them!
By the way, what is your solution? Keep all the big gas guzzlers and drill the f8ck out of Alaska? Invade Venezuela?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
N8 said:

Way to screw them!
LOL professor! Yeah those unfortunate poor people are going to have to drive 15k Hondas now that get great mileage and are cheap to own! They won't be able to own 40k Image Utility Vehicles anymore! OH THE HUMANITY!!!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Don't count on this cost increase resulting in the end of Hummers and their ilk.

When I was in high school gas rose from $0.45/gal to $1.30/gal over 4 years. Guess what? We have the H2 today.

Once people get used to the price increase, old habits will return.

Archslater

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Indianapolis
N8 said:

Way to screw them!
Ever been to Europe? Somehow I doubt that the 'poor' will be forced to drive "devalued" Escalades and H2's. My college car was a $1600 85' Civic that got 40 mpg. There are plenty of cheap economical cars out there, and I don't think high gas prices will change this. Europe has been dealing with high gas prices (relative to us) for a while now. Trust me, the rich still drive gas guzzling luxury sedans while the poor drive Vespa's and take public transportation.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Hey, when I used to work for Amoco, I was estatic when oil prices surged. Especially since I lived a mile from work, and I rode most of the time (put only 10,000 miles on my new car in the first two years).

Of course I lost my job when the price of a barrel was $12 (now it is $65)....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Anything that results in us all using less oil has got to be pretty good. If that means a price hike, then fair enough.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
I must say, I am mixed too about the price of gas. I am a Well Completions & Production design engineer, so the jack up of the price means I have a lot of work to do.............about 7 sh!tloads, and that pays the bills. On the other hand, it costs me out of my pocket more to go ride and to the races. Soooooooo, I'm torn

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We need to just give the oil companies more tax breaks. If they become even more profitable their success will trickle down to their poor stockholder and gas station attendants.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
H8R said:

they kinda do already, they use more gas and therefore pay more tax. this kind of tax thought is scary...whats next should tax fat people for eating fast food?

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
Archslater said:
Ever been to Europe? Somehow I doubt that the 'poor' will be forced to drive "devalued" Escalades and H2's. My college car was a $1600 85' Civic that got 40 mpg. There are plenty of cheap economical cars out there, and I don't think high gas prices will change this. Europe has been dealing with high gas prices (relative to us) for a while now. Trust me, the rich still drive gas guzzling luxury sedans while the poor drive Vespa's and take public transportation.

True but their gas is expensive because of taxes...and trust me taxes only screw the poor. The rich will always find a way around it with slick accountants and other methods.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
beestiboy said:
they kinda do already, they use more gas and therefore pay more tax. this kind of tax thought is scary...whats next should tax fat people for eating fast food?
F8ck yeah.