Quantcast

Lighest DH cranks

fishbait

Chimp
Jul 18, 2007
New York
I am running a pair of 07' saint cranks now and looking to drop some weight. What are the strongest lightest cranks on the market? 09'Saint's? any info is great!

Nov 27, 2006
CA, San Jose
what width bottom bracket do you have? if u have 83mm then the atlas fr is the strongest lightest crank for that width, but if u have 73mm then a hone or slx or atlas is your lightest choice

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Rode Shimano XT M770's this season and they worked great... 853 grams with BB and 3 chainrings, get a nice guide ring and it'll be even lighter.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I had glites of the 83mm variety and found them to be too flexy. They are lighter then all the other 83mm options though.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Any word on an external BB version? Me no likey ISIS.
Maybe I got the golden ISIS BB, its held for over a year bashing it. I have had buddies with more issues with the bearings on external BBs. My bearings are still intact and running good (not great :D). But thats in wet weather, drops to flat, dusty hot etc.... 110 degrees to 5 degrees. My crank arms are still straight and the BB is still SOLID! Ill be changing it this season before Otter but Ill keep it around as a spare!.

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Headset...designed in the 70s and 100% unchanged with the advent of threadless. The threadless version is a very poor design from an engineering standpoint and proves this over and over when used on current forks.

1.5 headset shares the same poor design (with a band-aid headlock to try to cover) and takes away one huge benefit of 1.5 due to the massive stack height.

150 rear hub has incorrect spacing on drive side...ring drive system has excess drag...hard use requires 'upgrading' to the HD axle and steel freehub shell or they dont last long. Only the very latest version of hubs do not continually self-loosen...incompatibility with shimano cassettes because of non chamfered freehub..

promised ISIS bb for 5+ years????

external bb....$130 for two bearings and two cups??? still using a 25mm ID bearing with plastic spacer rather than larger 24mm ID...greasing (the only possible advance feature) requires you to purchase (as yet unavailable) propriatary king greas tool for $??....

for that price of the bb, you could buy 7 sets of repalacement bearings for the bb you already own...and keep the $$ from the grease tool.

bad63lac

Chimp
Dec 22, 2008
North Jersey
Headset...designed in the 70s and 100% unchanged with the advent of threadless. The threadless version is a very poor design from an engineering standpoint and proves this over and over when used on current forks.

1.5 headset shares the same poor design (with a band-aid headlock to try to cover) and takes away one huge benefit of 1.5 due to the massive stack height.

150 rear hub has incorrect spacing on drive side...ring drive system has excess drag...hard use requires 'upgrading' to the HD axle and steel freehub shell or they dont last long. Only the very latest version of hubs do not continually self-loosen...incompatibility with shimano cassettes because of non chamfered freehub..

external bb....$130 for two bearings and two cups??? still using a 25mm ID bearing with plastic spacer rather than larger 24mm ID...greasing (the only possible advance feature) requires you to purchase (as yet unavailable) propriatary king greas tool for $??....

for that price of the bb, you could buy 7 sets of repalacement bearings for the bb you already own...and keep the $$ from the grease tool.
:clapping:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006

while we are on the subject, we can talk about how terrible their hubs are considering you need to rebuild the rears with several hundred dollars worth of parts/tools and it takes an hour+ for someone who has done it several hundred times, where most other similar hub designs (dt/hugi in particular) take maybe 5 minutes and if you need to replace the star drive parts its like $50.

Dec 11, 2007
Lawn Dart Training Center
I also stripped a set of slx cranks. Shimano promptly sent me a new set, I sold them as new, and went back to saints.
I have also bent gravity lights, so have many others. ISIS is a hassle to work on, shimano's are on and off with hardly any effort, and it does not wear the splines to remove them. I like to remove my cranks every month or two to get a good cleaning, so race face is out (splines wear quickly).
I will switch from my old style saints to the new style, but only for weight purposes. My 07 saints are still running strong on all 3 of my bikes.

I have seen Hones on many bikes, never heard anything bad, seems like a good alternative to saints.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just out of curiosity in regards to the SLX, what frames were these bikes on, and how much do you guys weigh? I was considering putting a set of these on my sxt in place of saints.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
and dietys with Ti spindle (there lighter than gravity lights cause you can run that special LG1 rin)

How do you figure this??

g-lights arms and bb = 794g http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4303
chainring = 44g
http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=765
chainring bolts = 26g http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4305

total = 864g total

Deity vendetta (deitys own claimed weights) http://www.deitycomponents.com/vendetta_specs.htm
arms and ti spindle = 754g
euro bb = 207
spider and ring ~ 150g (superspider and e-13 ring)
or deity ring when avialable = 102g (claimed)
bolts = 26g

total = 1137 - 1089g

posted pics on mtbr from several people lean toward actual weight being more than claimed, and the ti spindle is not exactly a hard use item...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I also stripped a set of slx cranks. Shimano promptly sent me a new set, I sold them as new, and went back to saints.
Interesting. A friend of mine runs SLX on his Socom and hadn't any problem yet. He is normally known for stripping pedal threads fast.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

i have 8 years on the same headset w/ no issue. every bike ive had has had a King headset on it w/ 0 issues.

granted their new 1.5 headset is huge, but i still bought one anyway b/c of my luck with them. i also just bought their external BB, but have yet to install yet since my frame is not ready yet. i agree that $130 is a lot for a BB though. i, thankfully did not pay that

and who still wants isis anyway?