Quantcast

Light crankset?

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Okay this season is the season I finally decide to give a serious look at the weight of my bike. Apart from the obvious upgrades: no tubes, tires, seatpost, etc. I'm thinking of going with Shimano XT crankset. I'm a very light rider (135lbs) So I'm pretty sure they'll do okay, I'd just like some advice from people who are running them or have ran them. Just tell me the pros and cons, and how I can fix the cons. Thanks!

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the only problem I have heard is the arm/spyder interface creaks after a while. at your weight they will be stronger than you need.

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
You'll be just fine with a lightweight crankset, last year, I used a Race Face Atlas all mountain system in both my 4X and DH rigs with no problems. It's not that often that you see someone coming down the hill saying "Damn, if only my cranks were stiffer..." This year I'm going to be trying some Stylo GXP stuff, I used it before and it was awesome. Give it a go if you can, I think they will stay tighter than the XT setup, as I've seen some XT's come really loose, possibly because they rely on three bolts to hold tight. Truvativ's setup relies on just one, so as long as that's good, you are all set. Also, I would not run any of the standard chainrings, I used some aftermarket singlespeed rings and that worked awesome. The teeth are taller, the rings are light, and don't have any shift ramps so they hold the chain better.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Dirtjumper999 said:
Okay this season is the season I finally decide to give a serious look at the weight of my bike. Apart from the obvious upgrades: no tubes, tires, seatpost, etc. I'm thinking of going with Shimano XT crankset. I'm a very light rider (135lbs) So I'm pretty sure they'll do okay, I'd just like some advice from people who are running them or have ran them. Just tell me the pros and cons, and how I can fix the cons. Thanks!

They should hold up just fine for you, they're pretty strong cranks.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
joelsman said:
the only problem I have heard is the arm/spyder interface creaks after a while. at your weight they will be stronger than you need.
and yet that is all you have heard. unless every set of shimano hollowtech 2 cranks have creaked in the arm/spider area then dont say that they will creak. ive had a set of saints and i have a set of lxs and neither of them creaked nor did they come loose on me.

oz

Chimp
Nov 11, 2003
I have middleburns and theyre baller. Sorry to jack your thread if this is but does anyone know how the truvative stylo x's are w/ the outboard bearing bb? I heard they flex a lot.... thats a really light option for you

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
middleburns are funny. they look like they should be super flexy like Cook Bros would be, but they have a reputation for being extremely stiff.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i run super cheap race face prodigy xc cranks for dh and they work. unless you're a hucker, stupid thick cranks or chromo boat anchors are just unnecessary. just watch for hairline cracks like on any bike part, and you should be fine.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Hmm. Why does everyone trash the aluminum axle on the Hone set? Maybe the XTs have a better (still alu) axle?

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
gnurider1080 said:
and yet that is all you have heard. unless every set of shimano hollowtech 2 cranks have creaked in the arm/spider area then dont say that they will creak. ive had a set of saints and i have a set of lxs and neither of them creaked nor did they come loose on me.
Ditto. I have never had a problem w/ my saints and I weigh 200 lbs. Had them for almost a year and they are rock solid. Same goes for all the test bikes in the shop that have the hollowtech systems. (trust me they get the S#$! kicked out of them)

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
well, i am 99% sure they are steel. 1, coz they rust 2, because i know the xtr uses steel for sure. so i am pretty sure xt will too. apperently steel makes it stiffer and lighter.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
oh yea, i have seen a few shimano cranks come loose. but thats just coz they dont check it once in a while. just simple maintenance. 07 they are supposed to have a new system, no more pinch bolts. but seriously, for cranks.. nothing beats shimano, they are light stiff, bb last forever.
race face have bearing problems, middleburns use isis. although i cant wait for the x type from them.

L

luelling

go with 1993 XTR square taper cranks :) Really bro, don't be a tool...if you want light cranks then look at what the pro XC guys are running. The 2007 XTR is super light and way stiff. Your other light/stiff option is the FSA carbon cranks.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i dont think epoxy will be a good idea, the fit between the shaft and bb is pretty tight. some well spread thick grease works fine. most of the time the spline is the first part to rust.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
bjanga said:
Thanks guys. Anybody coat the inside with something (epoxy maybe?) to ward off corrosion?
I've been riding mine for a year and a half in all sorts of crap with no signs of corrosion at all...It does have a little plastic sheath the spindle slides throud during install.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Shimano LX and the 3-ring Hones have aluminum BB spindles (2 ring Hones are steel).

I was talking about coating the inside of the spindle and not the outside, but it makes sense that the spline would be hit the hardest with rust, so no need to worry about the inside . . .

grease it is

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
bjanga said:
Shimano LX and the 3-ring Hones have aluminum BB spindles (2 ring Hones are steel).

I was talking about coating the inside of the spindle and not the outside, but it makes sense that the spline would be hit the hardest with rust, so no need to worry about the inside . . .

grease it is
oh yea, some anti rust or clear coat will do the job for inside the spindle. but the out side of the spindle still rusts.