Quantcast

Light fork help

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Well I heard from a reliable source that the Manitou Gold Label forks are only being shipped out in very small amounts. So now I'm looking for a fork which is stiff, short, 80mm of travel, 20mm axle, and under 5 pounds, and not a Marzocchi WC 4X. It needs to be simple, comparable to the Manitou Gold Label.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
08 marz dj 1, nemesis tuned w/ air cartridges. it will be identical to last years 4x that i ran on my street bike

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
$125 plus shipping to tune your existing fork, otherwise a Dj-1 from him goes for $350. I've been talking to Brad about the same forks. He's been amazing answering my questions and I look forward to getting one of his forks. He posts under Evil4BC.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
the awesome thing with a nem pro fork is that its custom tuned to your weight, riding style and bike. plus the internals get a good polishing and upgrade

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Can you get me hooked up with Nemisis if I decide to do that? How much do they charge for that stuff?
The new DJ 1's are $350 tuned , i have a bunch here in stock tuned to 70-mm , this is set up with the stock coil spring and the adjustable nitrogen cart.
The cool thing is the new DJ-1 has a Nitrogen filled damping cartridge , which handles the majority of the damping duties , and has it own internal Nitrogen charge so if you wanted to run the new DJ-1 with a straight rate air cart in the other leg this could be a sub 5lbs fork with adjustable damping and a nice feel that could be plush or ran stiff .

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
not trying to discredit that product, it sounds good...but in general why do people bother with a tuned fork for jumping? Is this a racing bike as well?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
because... there super hardcore and the best, and everyone wants the best... right???
not always. i don't ever want to adjust my fork. i don't want to pump it up with air or screw with the rebound/ compression settings. just want the travel to be stiff all the time.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
not always. i don't ever want to adjust my fork. i don't want to pump it up with air or screw with the rebound/ compression settings. just want the travel to be stiff all the time.
my 4x is stiff and holds air. its actualy quite solid.

to original poster - check my sherman jumper in classifieds. 80mm travel, 20mm axel, custom springs.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
ya thats kinda my point, personally all I want/need is very little travel and very stiff, doesn't need special/any rebound or compression really

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Tuned forks will react differently to jumping and street , this means they will function differently than stock Marzocchi's when jumped or ridden at skate-parks. Longer travel forks have a tendency to bottom out at the lip or tend to wallow in the travel when your pedaling across the flat bottom.

Tuned forks move-when you land or when you hit something big , other than that there basically solid with little movement .
Not as active to supple as the stock offerings from the major suspension manufactories.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
The new DJ 1's are $350 tuned , i have a bunch here in stock tuned to 70-mm , this is set up with the stock coil spring and the adjustable nitrogen cart.
The cool thing is the new DJ-1 has a Nitrogen filled damping cartridge , which handles the majority of the damping duties , and has it own internal Nitrogen charge so if you wanted to run the new DJ-1 with a straight rate air cart in the other leg this could be a sub 5lbs fork with adjustable damping and a nice feel that could be plush or ran stiff .
Hey brad.. I'm just curious here. These are the 20mil D/O's correct? What's the standing weight of one of these bad boys after the tune?

Thanks.

EDIT:: Nevermind... I didnt read the last sentence... All that mumbo jumbo basically means it would now be strictly an air fork VS. a coil-air? How will that hold up to the abuse one rider could dish out?

csr1

Chimp
Apr 14, 2004
beergarden/bathroom/beergarden
Well I heard from a reliable source that the Manitou Gold Label forks are only being shipped out in very small amounts. So now I'm looking for a fork which is stiff, short, 80mm of travel, 20mm axle, and under 5 pounds, and not a Marzocchi WC 4X. It needs to be simple, comparable to the Manitou Gold Label.
Now is your source really that reliable? Be careful.