Quantcast

Light frame ideas

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Does it have to be a single speed frame? You could pick up a light hardtail and use a chain tensioner. That said, I have a friend that runs a Scott Scale singlespeed and it is super light

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
How much does your Kona weigh? Is it the frame that is heavy or the parts you have on it?
Good question - I should have put this in my first post. It's steel - around 27 lbs.

My buddy just got an 08 Gary Fisher Rig 29er and that thing is SICK light - full build 21lbs.

I want to stick with 26er - just not just if I want to lighten up parts or look at a new frame

thoughts

Fish777

Chimp
Aug 26, 2007
Well, my Soma 4one5 is 23 lbs and I didn't use any light bling parts on it. It does have the Surly 1x1 fork so I don't have the weight of a suspension fork.

The frame (17") weights ~4.5 lbs

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'd say surround the Kona frame with lighter components. Those aren't porky steel frames - relatively light for steel I would guess. Certainly not Evil Soveriegn or Surly Instigator like weight. Right?

Maybe try a lighter wheelset? Carbon bits here and there? Tubeless? Titanium?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I'd say surround the Kona frame with lighter components. Those aren't porky steel frames - relatively light for steel I would guess. Certainly not Evil Soveriegn or Surly Instigator like weight. Right?

Maybe try a lighter wheelset? Carbon bits here and there? Tubeless? Titanium?
I would say the same thing. What frame is it exactly? Tubeset?

A good steel frame can weigh in the 4.5 lb area and a light aluminum frame can be approaching 3 lbs...not a huge difference for us mortals. I have a fairly inexpensive aluminum frame (Kona) as an SS and it probably weighs in the low 20s because the build is light.

If you are looking for a new, lighter frame then there are lots of options. Salsa makes some good ones- scandium/carbon near 3lbs. Not too expensive either. Kona and Voodoo also sell light hardtails at cheap prices (ebay is nice here). Cannondale and Scott have nice carbon frames, but I'm not sure if you can get those frame only and how much they'd cost (probably more than any of the other options).

Does the frame need to be SS specific?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Take a look at the Unit (Heheee, I said Unit!). Nothin fancy, but with a Spot/Mavic rear wheel, a King/Mavic ceramic front and some RF bits, mines weighing in at about 23 lbs.
I love it...

(Although I weighed the damn thing by weighing myself, then standing on the scale holding the bike. I gotta lose some weight myself. Before the bikes start looking for a new rider.)

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
Soul cycles has A couple of new frames out.The hooligan and the dylan.The dylan is a 29er,both have eccentric b.b. and they are both under $250.Easton aluminum and they look nice.I have a kona steel 29er with a reba fork and big tires and it is at 25#.

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
My Surly 1x1 is 23.5 lbs. The frame isn't the lightest in the world, but I cut weight off it via components. Probably the biggest bang for the buck was rim brakes instead of disc (I really don't need disc brakes on this bike and I have my rim brakes tuned so well they are phenomenal). Maybe the second was a light-weight stem and carbon handlebars (combo on sale for under $100).

Other components include: Fox F100 fork, lighter-weight chain (not for everyone but I'm not too hard on chains), cut excess off seatpost, Time ATAC XE pedals (eggbeaters would be lighter), Specialized carbon-sole shoes (light and great efficiency because of the stiff sole--I know it's not a component, but well worth considering carbon sole shoes if you want light weight and efficiency), Mavic Crosslink wheels.

day42

Chimp
Aug 31, 2005
Bloomfield, NJ
I have the Soul Cycles Hooligan. In its current build, with no outrageously light stuff on it, it's a little over 24 pounds for a 19 inch frame. My wheelset is really heavy...Sun Rhyno Lites with Surly hubs. Get some light wheels, and you could be at 22 pounds, or just under that?!?

P.S. I tried to upload a pic of the bike, but it said there was a error. It doesn't specify the error. Any ideas...what am I doing wrong? I scaled the pic down to comply with the size restriction.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The Dillinger is Soul's 29er and with the right build it can come out pretty damned light. Not sure of the weight on this thing, but it is definitely sub 25 pounds.

Note: these are ebb frames and can be run SS or geary.

Here's a shot of it in SS mode with a Reba in front from this past winter:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Ride more - you'll get stronger and then you won't notice the weight. My SS is pushing 30lbs, but it rides great and I love it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Steel frame, solid parts including cranks, pedals and wheelset. I'm not sure the actual weight, but my Yeti is all but 30lbs and the 2 bikes feel the same when I pick them up. Very unscientific I know, but...