Quantcast

Light weight cranks and BB for DH

D.B

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Pennsylvania
I'm looking for light weight cranks for my DH bike. Most that I looked into don't have the weight listed. I think I saw Saints listed at around 1100 grams(with BB) but have no idea how these compare to others. For the last couple years I ran Race Face North Shore. I had no problems with them, but I want to go lighter. I'll need an 83mm BB and I weigh about 165. Any suggestions?

brittmtb

Chimp
Jan 17, 2005
Go to www.bti-usa.com. They have most of the weights listed. The new Truvativ Holzfeller cranks with bottom bracket are about the same weight as the Saints with bb.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What size BB do you have?

There are lots and lots of threads on this topic, you could search and find lots of good info.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
lighter cranks with 83mm BB are hard to find, unless you go with ISIS, FSA has the gravity lights and you can get a ti BB i think in 83mm.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
deity cranks are only 2.3 lbs a set, so about 900 grams. This includes the BB and everything.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i've got a set and i like them. i'm not doing dh racing, but more like agressive trail riding (not much here in SoCal). they are a bit heavy, and they take a bit of playing with to get set up, but nothing that is excessive. you can fine tune your crank width and chainline with the spacers they provide. if you have any questions, you can call eric and get great customer service.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I've had a set of Deitys on my bike for the past 2 years now (Imperial and now 7point). I love them! And I'm planning on getting another pair for a second bike. Plus their customer service is great. I run them with an e-13 Super Spider and guide.

toby

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
my bad on the deity cranks, i had my calculations waaaaaaay off, for some reason i was assuming 400 grams=1lb. they are a little hefty i guess, o well. my hardtail is pretty damn heavy i guess.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Deity's are great. Eric is a fantastic guy to deal with. He is more than helpful. The cranks are pretty typical steel three-piece affairs. You can theoretically use a Profile or FSA ti spindle on them to drop the weight a lot, but it gets pretty pricey. As well, according to Eric at Deity, you can permanently stretch and deform the crankarm spline interface because the Ti spindles are slightly larger in diameter than the stock Deity steel spindle.

Getting the chainline set up is a little trickier than ISIS and you don't get fat bearings like you do with Saints or Race Face outboards. You'll also probably need to space the cranks out farther away from your BB because the arms don't bend outwards the way aluminum cranks do. The pedal thread is very long, too. Much longer than most pedal spindles I have.

It's not life-changing, but steel cranks are certainly different. To the original poster, if you really want to go light, see if you can get a longer Ti spindle (BMX retailers sometimes have them) and some lighter Profile-compatible 853 steel arms. There are Ti end-bolt kits and aluminum spacers that can leave you with a really strong, fairly light set-up. It will take a lot of searching and fiddling, though. Beware.

mache

Chimp
Jun 16, 2006
According to weightweenies.starbike.com,
Middleburn RS7's weigh around 470-480g.. so just pick any decent ISIS bb and your set. (For example the 230g FSA Platinum Pro).

So that would give you a ~700g crankset including spider.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
yea, MegaExo Quad BB
Right, but the Gap crank in 83mm configuration is OEM only at this point.

Gravity Light and ISIS is identical if not a few grams lighter than Middleburn.

This doesn't help anyone right now. There is a "normal" size external bearing, hollow forged crank in the works which will be 83mm compatible. Fully integrated setup with only a small weight penalty over the above ISIS option.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i like the gap cranks a lot, the quad bb is just massive and very durable so far. they're nice a cheap too, so if you happen to completely thrash a set, you can pick up another at a small cost.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
i like the gap cranks a lot, the quad bb is just massive and very durable so far. they're nice a cheap too, so if you happen to completely thrash a set, you can pick up another at a small cost.
yea but he needs 83mm bb, and that was said to be oem only, like on sundays... where can the ti spindles be ordered from besides used, and websites?