Quantcast

Lightening up my M3

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Any weight info for the Howitzer setup? The spec sheet on the truvativ website does not show any.
...when SRAM originally updated the Truvativ website, they posted some pdf.'s with ALL of the crank and BB weights, including the new Howitzer. Then, mysteriously those PDF's disappeared and were replaced by new spec sheets that had the parts weights either deleted or replaced with N/A...

I have copies of the original spec sheets and according to them, the Howitzer BB is 365g.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Main things to change are the wheels for sure.
823s on I9 and a Gamut P40 also.
But really you could spend 2000$ and the bike feels the same.
Dont go crazy and spend the extra money on uplift,races.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Get a Gamut P40 guide, Altas or Middleburn cranks, and lighter wheels.

Stem and bar would shave a bit too. Otherwise it looks good.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
coma13 said:
The coolest thing is that Middleburns are expressely warrantied against DH, jumping, racing, etc... Not to mention they're light as hell...
Too bad that warranty doesn't include splines, tapers, or threads. So basically if you snap the middle of the arm it's warrantied.

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
those DT rims are a joke!
Yeah they roll really fast but one run and it was flatspotted like crazy.

I didnt flat though.....

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
Bicyclist said:
Too bad that warranty doesn't include splines, tapers, or threads. So basically if you snap the middle of the arm it's warrantied.
thats exactly what i was thinking, not a whole lot is covered, the stuff you actually mess up is not covered

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That said I think they're good cranks but people push the warranty as a major selling point even though it's a joke.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
konastab01 said:
Main things to change are the wheels for sure.
823s on I9 and a Gamut P40 also.
But really you could spend 2000$ and the bike feels the same.
Dont go crazy and spend the extra money on uplift,races.
An LG1 guide is 60 grams lighter than any other guide on the market, and he could just get a conversion kit for short $$ from his SRS if he wanted. I am with you, work on the stuff that will make a difference and not compromise the performance of the bike, and spend the rest riding and having fun with the bike. Any bike between 39-45 lbs is going to be awesome. You dont need a sub-40 bike to tear it up.

Dave

sickbullit

Chimp
Feb 23, 2006
In addition to the cranks/wheels you can shave a pretty good amount by getting rid of the PC 970 cassette and going with a 9 speed road cassette...if you want ultra bling go with dura ace, but i got a 11-23 Ultegra (cost around 40 on ebay), and it is WAY lighter than the 970 i was running before...not sure how much lighter but significant.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
you should have put on a dorado like your brother did
*joking*
but fox 40>world cup

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
At less you have a ton of money, or race at a pro level, i dont see the point of replaceing perfectly good parts just to save some grams.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I'm trying to bring the weight of my 43lb M3 down too, but I think the only area I could save any reasonable weight without spending much are my crank arms from ISIS v-drives to Gravity Lites as shown. I bet my tubes are heavy too.

Any ideas for shaving weight for cheap?

Attachments

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
jake 133- at a highly competitive level of racing you need a highly competitive bike. i don't spend my money i earn at work on crap, i save for my bike.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I'm trying to bring the weight of my 43lb M3 down too, but I think the only area I could save any reasonable weight without spending much are my crank arms from ISIS v-drives to Gravity Lites as shown. I bet my tubes are heavy too.

Any ideas for shaving weight for cheap?
yah tubes are heavy, but i went to tubeless for a while and had way too many problems, now i ride tubes, i may go back to tubeless, but only if the technology improves on the tires. as far as cranks i kinda like those new holzfeller octs. sounds like a decent crank. anyways since i started this thread i've got some deemax wheels, and 07 internals in my fork and a couple other little things, ditched the X.0 and hollow pin chain, not reliable. my bike is now 42lbs. i am happy with it.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
ditched the X.0 and hollow pin chain,
I have been running the same hollow pin and drilled plate chain for 3 years(too lazy to replace my drivetrain). I honestly can't believe it is still working. The chain has held up through all kinds of abuse, a ton of DH, and a lot of climbing on the DH bike. Most the ways I have seen a chain fail, having a hollow pin would not make it more prone to failure. Having the drilled plate concerned me but I am not torquing a chain like I did when I rode trials.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
thats weird, aren't m3s a hair lighter then v10s? which are 11.5 ish lbs, which is maybe .5lbs heavier then my commencal frame. i got mine down to 41 with out any silly light parts... could make it sub 40 easy..

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Im about to replace my seat, post, pedals and stem and I calculated that it will shave 1.24 lbs. I have a stans No tubes kit, but i cannot get it to inflate, I might take it to the LBS and let them try. Anyone know how much an IRC 2.1-2.5 tube weighs? Im hoping to lose another lb between the two tubes.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
id go, Ti kit
single tracks (with no tubes kit) or mavic usts
no bigger than 2.5's and maxxis (unless its real rocky then a 2.7 front)
i was looking into hubs and im pretty sure proII's are the lightest avaliable if there not its only a few grams in it and id bet you there more affordable anyway. and some lighter spokes
ibeam(you didnt mention seat) im not sure on the weight of your post but i its lighter than an ibeam then get a sel italia slr seat.(just make sure its cut down, dont go to the lengths of drilling it tat will make fkall difference.
If theres allot of ecess material on your bash then lathe that
bar and stem wise, e-13 may save alittle but the bolt on setup will be lighter than a bolt on stem because of the sterer.
bar will only be about 25g
shock wise, i wouldnt do it, its a big sacrifice in proformance and tbh theres probably not a huge difference between that and a ti dhx
cranks, xt or atlas will be the biggest saving, also middleburns wil be a big save, the first two sacrifice strength but some guys get away with it, the later will sacrifice in durability that is untill somone comes up with an external bb set up for isis cranks thats compatibal with all cranks. hozfeller isnt a huge saving realy so its prbably not worth your hard earned cash.if you cant see saving more that 1.5-2lbs then its probably not worht doing, tubeless is deffinately worth a go though

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
xt cranks
mavic 721s with pro 2 hubs.
E13 LG1

Those 3 things will make the biggest difference and defenitly the most cost effective way of lightening up your bike. Anything else is just gonna be about shaving grams here and there and make not much noticeable difference.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
721's pro2 and compettition spokes, maybe alu nipples, they dont cost more....

the lg1 doesn't save that much weight... maybe 50 grams?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
LG1 weighs 195 grams, or 0.43 lbs.

Superdeft, I noticed in the build listed you showed a 32T ring. That's pretty small for DH use, even with a road cassette. Heck, 34T is pushing it. At whistler I can spin out a 34T all over the place. You may want to consider a 36T. Just a suggestion.

Good luck and have fun!

Dave

Bernard

Chimp
Nov 13, 2004
The Netherlands

This the way I set my M3 up... The weight is a stunning 17.1 kg... don't know how much pound that is... (I believe under 38 pounds)

I'll change the tires when racing by switching to full on tubeless downhill tires, adding 1 pound together.

Some things which I consider changing are:
Seatpost --> thomson elite, because the setback isn't needed
Spring --> Using a Ti-spring, will save some wheight
Cranks --> they're light but f*cking ugly
E13 bashring --> a black one for better looks

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com

This the way I set my M3 up... The weight is a stunning 17.1 kg... don't know how much pound that is... (I believe under 38 pounds)

I'll change the tires when racing by switching to full on tubeless downhill tires, adding 1 pound together.

Some things which I consider changing are:
Seatpost --> thomson elite, because the setback isn't needed
Spring --> Using a Ti-spring, will save some wheight
Cranks --> they're light but f*cking ugly
E13 bashring --> a black one for better looks
Are those Hope Mono Mini brakes?
got a spreadsheet of your build and real weights?

Bernard

Chimp
Nov 13, 2004
The Netherlands
i was wondering too, looks like juicys with m4 rotors.

isn't your shox upside down?
somehow I knew this question was comming....

Juicy ultimate brakelevers, lightened with alu bolts
Juicy 7 calipers, lightened with titanium bolts
225 hope front rotor, 200 hope rear rotor making a light but powerfull system

Shock isn't in upsite down, this is a 06 frame which doesn't have the new upper swinglink (with is milled out, where the shocks comes by)

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
is the contact surface of the rotors sufficeint for the juicy pads? i am thinking about getting some floating rotors for my jucies too, should save quite a bit from my galfers.

Bernard

Chimp
Nov 13, 2004
The Netherlands
Well, would not really want to recommend it for every one. But it works for me.
Friend of my used a simular setup last year, delivering lot's of brake power and it held up pretty well. But I don't know how fast it wears if you're riding races every weekend...

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
what i mean is the the rotor contact area deep enough to that the whole of the juicy pad has contact with the rotor.

Bernard

Chimp
Nov 13, 2004
The Netherlands
Are those Hope Mono Mini brakes?
got a spreadsheet of your build and real weights?
Frame Intense M3 '06 frame medium
Shock Fox DHX 5.0 shock - 350 spring
Fork Boxxer WC 07
Fork crown Romic upper
Stem FSA gravity light
Handlebar FSA k-force DH
Seatpost FSA SLK
Brakes Juicy ultimate / 7 combination
Shifter X0 trigger
Derailler XO short cage
Hubs Front hugi FR, rear Hadley 150
Spokes Some DB Dt's
Rims X893
Cassette cheap Sram road cassette 12-25
Chain DA
Chanring FSA 38th
Cranks XT 175mm
Changuide E-thirteen 38th
Seat Fysik Gobi Ti rails
Tires Maxxis Highroller singleply
Innertires Some XC ones
Pedals Some cheap ones , but light…
Headset King, using a small spacer instead of the original bearing cap - lowering rideheight by 4 mm
Hardware Used as much as possible Ti bolts - everywhere ( a lot!!!!!)
Hollow rearhub through axle
Campa Record carbon headset thing

Weight 37.7 pounds….