Quantcast

Lightest 888 direct mount stem available

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
just like it says, what is the cheapest 888 mount stem availbale WITH bolts. no manufacturer weights either, real world

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
The cro mag is so unbeilevably pimp just get it.

i want a 888 just so i can have one.

Ive hefted one and it felt svelt, dont really know how it compares but **** it cant be more than a few grams more than anything else

its sexier in real life

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'd check Sunline and Burgtec. They make the lightest Boxxer integrated stems so their 888 versions should be similar.

On that note, would it kill companies to agree on one damn mounting standard.

*edit* sunline - 170g, burgtec - 196g

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Straitline (can be mounted as a DM stem!)
25.4: 55mm: 260g, 70mm: 295g
31.8: 50mm: 224g, 65mm:268g

Funn MZX2 : 251g
Danger Boy 888 DM : 244g
Chromag 88 : 234g
Burgtec 888 DM: 196g (but probably costs like $400USD) :rolleyes:
Marz. 888 DM (new 06' - 07' version): 190g

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Whoops -

...forgot to post the Sunline weight!

Yep, its definitley the lightest - and comes in 45mm.

If you want something longer - the Marz stem is 53mm.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Explain, please . . . Is the stem drilled and tapped for the crown bolts? Interesting.

toby
nope. The existing direct mount holes for the Boxxer are just a shade wider than the width of the Thomson X.4. He just ran two bolts DOWN into the crown and dremeled one edge of the heads of the bolts down. They act as perfect stops for the X.4. Consider them tiny little "fork bumpers" that won't let your stem turn.

Don't know how much the two little bolts weigh...but to a guy with an X.4 stem, it's pretty useful info if they're thinking of blowing more money just for a bolt on.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
nope. The existing direct mount holes for the Boxxer are just a shade wider than the width of the Thomson X.4. He just ran two bolts DOWN into the crown and dremeled one edge of the heads of the bolts down. They act as perfect stops for the X.4. Consider them tiny little "fork bumpers" that won't let your stem turn.

Don't know how much the two little bolts weigh...but to a guy with an X.4 stem, it's pretty useful info if they're thinking of blowing more money just for a bolt on.

this can be done on 888s with RF diabolus stems too, probably other stems also but ive seen it done with the diabolus.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Anything made stronger/stiffer will just transferre forces elsewhere. I'm not worried about it,it was just a retort to the twisting statement.
If you're running lightweight bars to save weight it may be something to concider.All in all not really an issue as my stem rarelly twists in the biggest of crashes. I snapped carbon bars and my brake mount around the bar with my Thomson,cant remember if it twisted or not(don't think so).