Quantcast

Lightest DH wheelset?

STS

Chimp
Jul 23, 2007
Hi,
can you tell us price of that fischer hub, where to get it, and if they have webpage

thanks

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
5.1s are like butter. They bend just by looking at them wrong. They are waaaaaaaay to expensive for how soft they are.
I think you got a bad pair then. I've had mine since April, and they're my only wheels, so they cop a fair beating. No flatspots (unlike my 721s) and no cracking around the eyelets (unlike my friend's 721s). I also weigh 120 kilos. And I hit stuff pretty hard.

IMO, I'd be running 5.1s on a 240 front hub, 440 rear (150) with DT Revo's or bladed sapim CX-Rays. I don't see why you couldn't use it for more than racing either (obviously with brass nipples, not aluminium ones).

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I think you got a bad pair then. I've had mine since April, and they're my only wheels, so they cop a fair beating. No flatspots (unlike my 721s) and no cracking around the eyelets (unlike my friend's 721s). I also weigh 120 kilos. And I hit stuff pretty hard.
:brow: that must mean there aren't many rocks where you ride. I've tried FR 2350 and EX 1750 wheelsets and both dented/flat spotted on my first day on them.

Mark W

Chimp
Jan 28, 2004
Canada
I heard a rumor that the World Cup guys go through several 5.1s in a weekend because the rims are intentionaly soft. The rim giving way is supposed to help avoid pinch flats. Just what I heard, I have no idea if that has any truth to it. I have a set of ex 1750s (5.1s), and I'm happy with them. A couple minor dents, but nothing I didn't deserve. I should add, no flats this season so far.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
The Outlaws are a great relatively light weight wheels on a budget. You can go lighter for sure but not for this proce. I have found that the rims are somewhat soft though. They will bend much easier than a Mavic 721 but they hold up pretty well and you can afford 2 sets!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california

IMO, I'd be running 5.1s on a 240 front hub, 440 rear (150) with DT Revo's or bladed sapim CX-Rays. I don't see why you couldn't use it for more than racing either (obviously with brass nipples, not aluminium ones).
I've been battering a pair of 5.1s on my "do-it-all" bike for the past couple months and they haven't had any issues at all, nothing like the buttery-soft 6.1s. I'd not have any problems running them on a full-blown DH bike, they're very light and seemingly pretty strong.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
have never had a problem with engagement or lack thereof with any hope hub i've ever owned
My GF has King hubs on her trail bike. Pink; X-mas gift from me!
She bought the Pro II's to build for her light bike becsue they were so much cheaper than the King's. First ride she was telling me she thought the chain was skipping or that somethig was wrong. I checked and couldn't find anything wrong? After her telling me this a few times I figured out that her complaint was the lack of engagement.
She is not a super mechanical person but she noticed first ride. Maybe I don't give her enough credt?

Dr. Ill

Monkey
Nov 29, 2005
dude, it don't kow about alloy nipples... with all the stress of dh i'd think they would strip. another 20grams for brass might be worth it.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
I heard a rumor that the World Cup guys go through several 5.1s in a weekend because the rims are intentionaly soft. The rim giving way is supposed to help avoid pinch flats. Just what I heard, I have no idea if that has any truth to it. I have a set of ex 1750s (5.1s), and I'm happy with them. A couple minor dents, but nothing I didn't deserve. I should add, no flats this season so far.

Mine really like to dent and pinch flat. I dominated some 5.1s but they're fine for trailriding or dirt jumping, they're on my hardtail now.

Just picked up another set of Industry Nines and I could notice the engagement coming from a hadley. Granted I've been on my other set of I9s for almost two years so I already knew what I was missing.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
dude, it don't kow about alloy nipples... with all the stress of dh i'd think they would strip. another 20grams for brass might be worth it.
Alloy nipples are fine as long as you grease the head of the nipple (where it rests against the inside of the rim) and use anti-seize, blue loc-tite or spoke prep on the spoke threads. You might have to replace one or two nipples every now and again but that's not a big deal. There are a lot of places I'd elect NOT to save weight before NOT choosing alloy nipples. If you're trying to get your bike as light as possible every bit counts. It all adds up....

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you're trying to get your bike as light as possible every bit counts. It all adds up....
Word.

My alloy nips are great after a year of running too-low pressure in SB and around Socal, not prepping them, and occasionally truing the wheels.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Mine really like to dent and pinch flat. I dominated some 5.1s but they're fine for trailriding or dirt jumping, they're on my hardtail now.

Just picked up another set of Industry Nines and I could notice the engagement coming from a hadley. Granted I've been on my other set of I9s for almost two years so I already knew what I was missing.
Trying to understand you on this one, If I assume correctly you think Hadleys have faster engagement then the I9's. If thats the case, no they dont. The I9's are faster than kings and hadleys. I have had 2 sets of kings and rode another set of the 108 hadleys before getting 2 sets of I9's.
I like the I9's hands down, they take a beating (6.1's are a different story). 1 set has the 6.1's and the other has syncros dps 32 whites.

Aside of that have you got your wheels yet and if so congratulations and if so which ones

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Just wieghed a Outlaw rim and its 560grams. WTF
Thanks for the info. I tried to find that a while back and I couldn't. I've got a spare set at home and I think I'm going to use them to build up a FR wheelset. I had issues with the front and rear hubs that came with my outlaws but the rims have always stayed true.

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
Got to agree with bullcrew...the I9's rock. I have both hadley & I9's and the I9's have better engagement plus they are a half pound lighter. Both wheelsets are laced to Mavic 823 rims so the weight savings is purely in the hubs/spokes. Before buying anything else I'd at least do some more research and test ride if possible. Also the dudes at I9 are extremely helpful. http://www.industrynine.net/official/DHFR.html

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
Word.

My alloy nips are great after a year of running too-low pressure in SB and around Socal, not prepping them, and occasionally truing the wheels.
My rear wheel was fine, but the front wheel couldn't take it. After around the 8th nipple that had broken and had to be replaced the first month we just replaced them all with the brass nipples.
Granted, I was around 240 and pushed super hard in corners, but I was amazed that the rear wheel survived a year with no failures.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
Trying to understand you on this one, If I assume correctly you think Hadleys have faster engagement then the I9's. If thats the case, no they dont. The I9's are faster than kings and hadleys.
I just looked at the I9 website and here is what it says:
"Holy 120 engagement points! How strong is your drive mechanism?

The Industry Nine drive mechanism is a fairly simple, tried-and-true pawl arrangement. When engaged, each of the three driving pawls itself has three points, providing nine points of contact to the hardened A2 drive ring. The drive ring has 60 teeth, which would normally allow a 6-degree engagement – among the fastest in the industry. Our proprietary mechanism allows for a second set of three pawls, phased three degrees from the first. This feature cuts engagement time in half, to a mind-blowing three degrees! Our lightning quick take-up has become highly desirable on singlespeeds, twenty-niners, and disciplines with gate starts. We have tested our drive system beyond 700 ft-lbs of torque, which amounts roughly to a super-chipped Ford Power Stroke turbo diesel engine. In over two years of prototyping and testing, we have had zero drive mechanism failures."

On paper that has to be the highest engagement count out there! But I have not ridden them so I have no personal experience. But 120points?!?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
My GF has King hubs on her trail bike. Pink; X-mas gift from me!
She bought the Pro II's to build for her light bike becsue they were so much cheaper than the King's. First ride she was telling me she thought the chain was skipping or that somethig was wrong. I checked and couldn't find anything wrong? After her telling me this a few times I figured out that her complaint was the lack of engagement.
She is not a super mechanical person but she noticed first ride. Maybe I don't give her enough credt?
Maybe?:huh:

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM

The Industry Nine drive mechanism is a fairly simple, tried-and-true pawl arrangement. When engaged, each of the three driving pawls itself has three points, providing nine points of contact to the hardened A2 drive ring. The drive ring has 60 teeth, which would normally allow a 6-degree engagement – among the fastest in the industry. Our proprietary mechanism allows for a second set of three pawls, phased three degrees from the first. This feature cuts engagement time in half, to a mind-blowing three degrees! Our lightning quick take-up has become highly desirable on singlespeeds, twenty-niners, and disciplines with gate starts. We have tested our drive system beyond 700 ft-lbs of torque, which amounts roughly to a super-chipped Ford Power Stroke turbo diesel engine. In over two years of prototyping and testing, we have had zero drive mechanism failures."

On paper that has to be the highest engagement count out there! But I have not ridden them so I have no personal experience. But 120points?!?

i love mine. but i took out 3 of the 6 pawls to reduce friction.
i still have 60 points. they work 3 at a time.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

I shift hard and weigh 230lbs now, I have smashed them, rammed them and just this side of torching them and they are almost instataneous engagement. I rode another persons bike and felt like the drive train was goofy or his chain was stretched out, turns out it was the engagement on the rear. So I would be disappointed to ride anything else. My tubeless set up has all 6 pawls and my DH set up is running 3 and they are both spot on. LOVE I9'S, greatest set up so far.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
i love mine. but i took out 3 of the 6 pawls to reduce friction.
i still have 60 points. they work 3 at a time.
The one complaint (besides price) I have heard about Kings is that they have built in drag. Are the I9's like that with all the pawls?
The Kings and Hadleys are 72pt no? So 60 is still a world better than Hope II's at 36pt?

JK:UK

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
i run:

Mavic EX819

Hope Bulb / Hope XC (ti spindle)

Sapim CX Ray Spokes.

I don't think it gets lighter.

JK:UK

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
oops. guess i shouldn't have ridden north shore and the french alps for weeks, including several avalanche cup courses and some of the gnarliest dh known......

seem alright to me.

tubeless too ;) michelin 16 and 24.

oh ps...

its on an sx trail, with 66 rc2xs up front. was funny to catch up with full on wc dh rigs :P

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
The one complaint (besides price) I have heard about Kings is that they have built in drag. Are the I9's like that with all the pawls?
The Kings and Hadleys are 72pt no? So 60 is still a world better than Hope II's at 36pt?

i have had kings so i will tell you the i9's have less drag with the 6 in.
with 3 they are light drag.

alex

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO

Industry 9 does not have the fastest engagement out there. That title belongs to True Precision Stealth hubs which feature an instantaneous engagement system.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
oops. guess i shouldn't have ridden north shore and the french alps for weeks, including several avalanche cup courses and some of the gnarliest dh known......
seem alright to me.
If you're 110# after 3 pints of beer so yeah the 819 would hold up... May be. The 819 is a great wheel but we got to be realistic here. 90% of the people would smash this wheel in days. Most of the DH courses I saw in the french alps had pretty tame trails rock wise. In Les gets you probably can count rocks on one hand. Even on the Avalanche cup course in Oz en Oisans you rarely hit rocks head on. Ride a place like Schweitzer on the 819 then we'll say yes. they are downhill worthy!

ok for fun a little pic after too many days smashing too many rocks in Whistler last year:

It's a 721.. Really think a 819 would have held up?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
so what's the verdict on the stan's Flow rim? i already have hadley/823s for DH abuse but was thinking of I9 hubs / Flow rim / UST tire like the Barracuda for a light but stiff all mountain wheelset.