Limewire thread deleted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
binary visions said:
Uh, you know there's more that's taken into account when deleting a thread than your own personal feelings, right? There are advertisers and other business considerations for the content of this site.

So do these advertisers have lawyers that write explicit lists of what can and can not be discussed? Seriously. Like in contract form?

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Dennis: Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Dennis: Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.

Dennis: Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

King Arthur: Bloody peasant!

Dennis: Oh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see him repressing me? You saw him, Didn't you?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
jdschall said:
So do these advertisers have lawyers that write explicit lists of what can and can not be discussed? Seriously. Like in contract form?
Seriously. This place feels like corporate America/MBA more and more all the time.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
blue said:
Seriously. This place feels like corporate America/MBA more and more all the time.

I wouldn't go that far. And I would say that this place is far cooler than most places, except maybe a dark smokey bar where you can discuss anything you want. It's just that I wish we could see the "list" sometimes.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
GumbaFish said:
Dennis: Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Dennis: Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.

Dennis: Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

King Arthur: Bloody peasant!

Dennis: Oh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see him repressing me? You saw him, Didn't you?
What the hell are you talking about. My god son........ are you from earth ?

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
You guys are all lucky that there is even a forum like this to discuss all things biking. Don't act like you are entitled to everything, its a privilege. Heaven forbid we can't talk about limewire on ridemonkey, whatever will be done? Whats next, we won't be able to use the word suxors because we found out it was copyrighted by pinkbike...man that is a world I don't want to live in...lets get serious and grow up kids.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
GumbaFish said:
You guys are all lucky that there is even a forum like this to discuss all things biking. Don't act like you are entitled to everything, its a privilege.
Except, we, the patrons, are the reason it's still running. It's a two way street. Are you trying to tell me RM is just some free service to us peasants of the lower class, and that nobody makes money off of it?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jdschall said:
Now you're just being nitpicky.

They have policies regarding the acceptable content of the site. It is up to the site owners to interpret the policies as it applies to the specific site content, and they need to err on the side of being more stringent, otherwise you take the risk of losing the advertiser.

Seriously, I understand why someone might be a little put off at their thread getting deleted, but this whole whiney "I'm being oppressed" thread-starting deal is stupid. If you need to get some rationale, well, we've got PMs for a reason. PM a mod and ask why your thread got deleted - I'm sure they can help you out.

If you start a thread on a file sharing service that is primarily used for illegal activity, I don't see why it's some huge shock when it gets deleted - you should have known from the outset that it might get pulled. If the only value you find in this site is in the occasional thread that gets deleted, then go somewhere else - there's a lot more content than that.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
binary visions said:
If the only value you find in this site is in the occasional thread that gets deleted, then go somewhere else - there's a lot more content than that.
A lot more idle, apathetic, bull****. Like this thread. :help:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
binary visions said:
PM a mod and ask why your thread got deleted - I'm sure they can help you out.
And if you do that, don't argue with the mod like a jackass when he tries to explain it.

And don't always assume it's a mod that deleted the thread.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
binary visions said:
Now you're just being nitpicky.

They have policies regarding the acceptable content of the site. It is up to the site owners to interpret the policies as it applies to the specific site content, and they need to err on the side of being more stringent, otherwise you take the risk of losing the advertiser.
Sorry I wasn't trying to be inflammatory. I really just wanted to know how it works and that makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
blue said:
A lot more idle, apathetic, bull****. Like this thread. :help:
I guess we all see what we want to see.

I've learned almost everything I know about suspension and suspension designs almost exclusively from the people & content of this website. One of the many, many topics I've been educated on since joining here.

Not to mention all of the people here who I enjoy talking to and interacting with on a daily basis.

Are you unable or just unwilling to absorb the good content? Or are you just trying to be a smartass and attempt to illustrate a point?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jdschall said:
Sorry I wasn't trying to be inflammatory.
:o:

Sorry, I was trying to be inflammatory, but only 'cause I thought you were ;)

Yep, just like an acceptable use policy, the advertisers have acceptable content policies.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
binary visions said:
:o:

Sorry, I was trying to be inflammatory, but only 'cause I thought you were ;)

Yep, just like an acceptable use policy, the advertisers have acceptable content policies.

The point I was trying to make was that it seems like people would be more amenable to the rules if they knew what the rules were and why they were instituted.

Not that that would matter to some people.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Why is this always so difficult to understand? Sites are supported by advertisers, and advertisers have strict content policies. Discussing topics like stealing music and software go against nearly every advertiser policy out there.

Blue, if you want to cut me a cheque to keep the site up indefinitely then I'll let you talk about Limewire as much as you want, until then suck it up. :nopity:

Status
Not open for further replies.