Quantcast

Lisboa-Dakar 2006

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Not sure how many of you guys state-side follow the Dakar, but it is a sight to behold!

My main interest is in the bikes, but I always keep an eye on the cars(especially seen as WRC World Champ Carlos Sainz is leading), Frenchman Cyrille Despres is the main man in the bikes(winner last two years) and he is a good friend of Cedric Gracia, according to Gracia Despres is a killer DH rider too and if you look hard enough you can see Commencal stickers on Despres' KTM.

The bike race is hotting up at the moment, Despres won yesterday's stage closing the gap to current leader Mark Coma to 1min. But he had a heavy high speed crash today at 247km of the 444km stage and suffered what is now known to be a dislocated coller bone! He is going to continue though and try and ride out the dakar, although when he hits the big dunes of Mauritania it is gonna be hell for him!

Anyway just thought I'd share my passion for the Dakar(and all things two wheels) with you guys and lend a bit of support to Frenchman Despres!

Check out
www.eurosport.com
www.dakar.com
For some live updates and killer videos!

the Dakar is defientely on my list of things to do!

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!

Not so sure whats going on here!

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Cyril Despres givin' 'er welly!
That's a heavy bike to be drifiting!

Isidre Esteve Pujol

And for all the Yanks..................................Robbie Gordon, I have to say he is a great driver and racer, but holy fcuk that Hummer is an ugly beast, and is probably leaving a trail of clubbed baby seals in it's wake!

Romic tech

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
cal.
Chris Blais works next to our shop. He has some great stories about the rally. I raced a San felipe 250 with Alfe Cox back in 1991. He is not in the race this year but has done well in the past.

Roger
Romic Tech

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
thats a helluva race for sure. awesome pics
check out the rear fenders on the atv, look like gas tanks maybe?

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
actually i kind of forgot i have some pictures, that kind of show how special this racers are...

this is my Friend and coach mister Jimmy lewis, One of the best american dakar racers ever..

here Jimmy is testing the HPN build bike with the R900GS/RR BMW logos on top..
$260.000 each hand made machines. (only five bikes were ever made and 3 more spare engines)

they were pushing the bike as hard as they can to see if she will fail, exept for the tyres that keep melting (running "Mosse foam" tubes" and 3 rim locks ) do to the 140Hp transmited to the ground the rest of the bike work just fine

guys like Jimmy will say,,,, "that nothing even a Pig can fly if you give him a big enogh engine" I also kind of agree..

that makes my head spin is stuff like this.

this is Totally Stock KTM 950 Adventure, exactlly the same bike i have,, well actually mine is all thick out and you know what it makes absolutlly no diference because i don't have the B^lls and for sure the skill to acomplish something like this..
10 feet runoff that is all.

after a good Wash Jimmy's bike looks inmaculate...
Ours... well you get the idea.

this guys are not only really fast, but also ride with so little efford they can do it for 10/14hours per day at a incredible level of speed and response

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Hey Pantineto, what is the story with that KTM 950 in those last pictures ( the orange one)? It has its drive chain on the left hand side like most bikes, all the KTM's here in Europe have the chain on the right!

Is that a US thing?

Edit: Never mind I used the magical Interweb to answer my Q, seems it is just some of the SX and Supermoto bikes that are lefthand
chain drive!
Beautiful bike though trying to convince my aul fella to buy one and give me the Africa Twin!

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Akula_7 said:
Hey Pantineto, what is the story with that KTM 950 in those last pictures ( the orange one)? It has its drive chain on the left hand side like most bikes, all the KTM's here in Europe have the chain on the right!

Is that a US thing?

Edit: Never mind I used the magical Interweb to answer my Q, seems it is just some of the SX and Supermoto bikes that are lefthand
chain drive!
Beautiful bike though trying to convince my aul fella to buy one and give me the Africa Twin!
First a little Africa twin magic,,, areal dakar racer from a decade ago

Personally i think for ONLY Dirt dutty having a 100something horses is more of a liavility (unless you are jimmy) than a advantage, the tyres are prone to dig in to the surface actually making the bike slower, plus to gain & tamme that horsepower that bike end up being heavier and longer, believe when it comes time to slow her down in a hurry, you are in big trouble, not only because of the braking but because the traction is just not there for such a heavy bike, in fact the dakar organizers actually made Ilegal any twin cilinder(or more)with a engine bigger than 450CC since a few guys got kill and a few really bad accidents happend for the super fast speed..

currentlly the KTM Singles are putting about 80/90 horses at the wheel and they have about a undisclose 700cc maybe bigger, with all the tricks inside makes kind of pointlless to have a twin (much better low end response, but those not matter since the races are done with the engine at the really high RPMs)even if you can get 140Horses...

actually a 140 Hp engine consume a incredible amount oif gazoline and that can also be a handicap since you need to transported on the bike or if not be dependent to find a re-fuel station , beleive me is kind of a pain to push your bike in the desert i don't it and it suck really bad.

well i will tell you more later, i can talk about this for hours, for now I'm going riding....

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
"Death of Andy Caldecott

The organisers of the 28th edition of the Dakar have learnt today, Monday the 9th of January 2006, the death of KTM rider n°10 Andy Caldecott.

At km 250 of stage 9 between Nouakchott and Kiffa, on a fast portion, the Australian biker suffered a bad crash. and died.

Aware of the accident at 11:31AM, the rally headquarters immediately sent a medical helicopter that landed at 11:55 AM on the scene of the accident. The doctors unfortunately could only note the death of the biker that according to them struck immediately.

Andy Caldecott, 41 years of age, was competing in his third Dakar. He had finished 6th of the 2005 edition and was currently 10th overall of this edition after having won stage 5 between Nador and Er-Rachidia in Morocco.

To his family that was immediately contacted, the Dakar wishes to express its sincere condolences"

http://www.dakar.com/2006/DAK/LIVE/us/900/index.html

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/v4/l0/s239/e11728/sport_lng0_spo239_evt11728_sto811257.shtml

sad thing, 28 victim so far on dakar rally

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Downhiller said:
"Death of Andy Caldecott

The organisers of the 28th edition of the Dakar have learnt today, Monday the 9th of January 2006, the death of KTM rider n°10 Andy Caldecott.

At km 250 of stage 9 between Nouakchott and Kiffa, on a fast portion, the Australian biker suffered a bad crash. and died.

Aware of the accident at 11:31AM, the rally headquarters immediately sent a medical helicopter that landed at 11:55 AM on the scene of the accident. The doctors unfortunately could only note the death of the biker that according to them struck immediately.

Andy Caldecott, 41 years of age, was competing in his third Dakar. He had finished 6th of the 2005 edition and was currently 10th overall of this edition after having won stage 5 between Nador and Er-Rachidia in Morocco.

To his family that was immediately contacted, the Dakar wishes to express its sincere condolences"

http://www.dakar.com/2006/DAK/LIVE/us/900/index.html

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/v4/l0/s239/e11728/sport_lng0_spo239_evt11728_sto811257.shtml

sad thing, 28 victim so far on dakar rally
You see this is why guys like Nani Roma currentlly race on cars as oppose to bikes, not only they get far more money they also get a lot less tyred plus they are not risking their lifes in every turn or jump...

Is pretty sad to see Andy go last year 3 guys day including the super fast Richard saint...

actually for kicks and giggles, i was suppose to be the "Monkey" (counter weight) for this little monster for the Barcelona-Dakar last year, but we never got the money togheter (about a $100,000 just for the basic entry) to cover all the entry fees and transportation..
here is Scott and his monkey racing and winning at pikes peak...what ever the name is,,actually scott won that race for the last 5 years on diferent sidecars.

beleive me this thing is evil....the platform i was soppose to be standing (Seats as for lazzypigs) Is "adorn" with about 200 snow tyre spikes and a bunch of cut outs on the aluminum to add traction, no wonder some people call it the "meatgrinder"

a water cool engine from a harley Davidson V-Rod(design by Porche) putting about a 160Hps at the ground..

some stuff will break and/or fail from time to time

Gazzilopolly My A^^, this is what you call a tyre and also a pretty nice "salad Plate" for a sproket..

and for the sand "a little" extra help.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
patineto said:
and for the sand "a little" extra help.

thats a michie rally tire.

i have some for my rally car project.

i just got a new shell, but its prety bad

the glass and subframes is all i can use.