Quantcast

Lisbon Downtown 2008

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Damn! 6th or 7th time he's won it now?

"I've got street racing down at that place." - Peat. In some mtb flick I've seen too many times.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
that is awesome peaty 7 times in a row!! greg minnaar second by 0.43 seconds, and filip polc third!! close in the syndicate...again!

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
Heres some pictures I took with Strakar today:

(this is an imminent failure photo, he hit the straw bale, you can see the straw flying, and a half second later he was on top of the others straw bale's and some audience!)

Not much of a story, Peaty nails it again. Cedric really wanted to win, you could see it by the way he ran the final. Greg did a small mistake right at the beginning which cost him the top position.

Strakar will be posting his ubber cool photos later! Sorry for the bandwidth killer post. ;)

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Wouldn't Holyrollers or Hookworms be best for urban downhill? Is there any dirt to the track?

...just surprised that they are all running Minions/etc. on that course.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
Wouldn't Holyrollers or Hookworms be best for urban downhill? Is there any dirt to the track?

...just surprised that they are all running Minions/etc. on that course.

From what I've heard the streets are so old and polished from millions of footsteps that the sticky knobby tyres hook up much better than a street tyre. In previous years people have done their first runs on hookworms etc. but swapped back to minions straight away.

Any word on Leov would be great too...

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
No word on Leov, didn't get my hands on any results this year. But yes, far all I saw he was the only one running a little bike!

As for the tires nothing gets a grip over there. Not even a good pair sneakers, as you my find for yourselves if you ever find your way over here!
So I guess the best change for an extra grip is some Slow Reezay ubber gripy compound and hopping those knobs fitting into the small gaps between rocks!

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
Heres some pictures I took with Strakar today:

Strakar will be posting his ubber cool photos later! Sorry for the bandwidth killer post. ;)
Hey smee!! =D

It's like I'm saying to the rider "so... gonna get it over with or not?"

The guy in the background was staying at a hostel at one of those doors (in the middle of the course). When the guy decided that he had seen enough he got up, went to the door, and rang the bell... no one answered. The guy rang again, but the only sound was from the bikes closing in, the guy got really nervous and started knoking furiously on the door while praying for his life =D me, loki, and the rescue team laughed our asses off :busted:

Oh yeah, I'll post some photos later on tonight =)

Segunda

Chimp
May 7, 2007
From what I've heard the streets are so old and polished from millions of footsteps that the sticky knobby tyres hook up much better than a street tyre. In previous years people have done their first runs on hookworms etc. but swapped back to minions straight away.

Any word on Leov would be great too...
Check Gracia's rear, looks like a semislick...

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Did they not have chicks racing this year? I have seen or heard nothing about their race.
Chicks are getting closer and closer to extinction.
Someone said some of the new features made the course to "difficult" for the ladies! Couple of buddies of mine who where in attendance said it was pretty tricky.
But i'm sure Sabo and some of the quicker ladies would have been able for it. Organisers saving money perhaps? Not an all expenses paid event like in the past?

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
I don't know, but last year only a couple of the ladies did the stairs gap, and a few more the car jump(even though this years seemed smaller).
Being this the most spectacular areas I can get the idea behind the organizers! And since Redbull is behind it, I don't think money is a problem! ;)

Btw, cedric was using a High Roller Semi Slick Tire on the back!

Also, in Peat's run @1:02 I think he almost wins a second in those stairs to everyone!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Someone said some of the new features made the course to "difficult" for the ladies! Couple of buddies of mine who where in attendance said it was pretty tricky.
But i'm sure Sabo and some of the quicker ladies would have been able for it. Organisers saving money perhaps? Not an all expenses paid event like in the past?
So, they did not even have a womens class?

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
I'm glad the guy with the presence of abundant hair between the eyebrows didn't take it. Go Peaty!!