Quantcast

list your set up-tubeless

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i wanna know everything about your set ups. what tires, rims, rim strip, riding style, rider weight, tire pressures and anythign else that can be usefull. have you burped any air before? bottom line is i wanna know why it just works perfect for some ppl and others just hate it...

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Michelin Comp32 fr, Comp24.1/16 rear, Mavic Ex823's, no sealant or strip, easy on components riding style, 170lbs with gear, 29 psi fr/29-32 psi rear. Never burped any air. Only one flat last year which was a 1/2" slice in the thread that would have taken out any tire/tube combo, didn't even realize the tire was going flat until I came to a stop.

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
dhkid said:
i wanna know everything about your set ups. what tires, rims, rim strip, riding style, rider weight, tire pressures and anythign else that can be usefull. have you burped any air before? bottom line is i wanna know why it just works perfect for some ppl and others just hate it...
older deemax rims, Maxxis mobster and highroller tires, BMX tubes as rim strips and stans sealant. Worked 1.5 seasons without fail. Only issue was one tire puncture. Patched the tire and put a tube in for the weekend and later remounted tubless

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
2004 Deemax Rims with 2.5 Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR UST Tubeless tires. I weigh about 140 and am pretty smooth, but I've had crappy luck with this combo. After Whistler, where I got numerous flats (ask Salami, he saw me attempting to change my tires at the top of the lift with a plastic tire lever) I have had no sucess getting them to hold air. I just put tubes in because I am cheap, but new tires are in the works eventually.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dhkid said:
what tires, rims, rim strip, riding style, rider weight, tire pressures and anythign else that can be usefull. have you burped any air before?
Michelin Comp 24.1 2.3", Sun Rhyno Lite XL, Stan's, urban/DH, 160, ~20-25psi, on a hardtail. No, I've never burped air.

Rafael-DH

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Brazil
azonic outlaws, NoTubes rim strip, no tubes sealant.
Michelin comp 24 2.5 tires.
Used it only twice. BTW it was a 4x race and i used 45psi. eheheh

Oct 19, 2001
Mavic EX823 with various Maxxis UST DH tires. I had a lot of problems at first puncturing the tires. It seemed with all the rock I typically ride, I would put at least one puncture in a tire each weekend. After a month I started running half a scoop of stans in each and have not had a problem since then. As far as burping, if I run anything less than 25 psi I start burping the rear way too often. At least with the stans if you burp it, you can usually ride it out. I now run about 24-25 psi in the front and 26-28 in the rear.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Mavic 729, Stans stip and liquid, 2.5 Kenda Nevegal, 28 psi.

Weight 155 lbs and ride in mostly rocky terrain.

No problems to report.

I also had good experience with Maxxis High Roller 2.5s but not good experience with Michelin 24.1 in 2.5 (keept cutting holes in the tires that were to big for the stans to seal).

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Mavic EX729 rims, Stan's rim strips, Stan's sealant, Michelin 2.5" DH tires, 30 psi front/35 psi rear for a 200 lb rider on rocky, rough terrain. Never burped, but I have dented rims before.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Most sealants will eat away at Kenda tires. If you go through Kendas pretty fast you probably wont have a problem. If you run the same Kenda tires the entire season the sealant will start to eat at the inside of the tire and eventually kill your tire. I wouldn't run sealant in Kendas.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Kanter, have you actually experienced this yourself? I have had the same nevegas on my DH bike since june or so with stans w/o any probs at all..

As farr am my set ups..

Rims
321/729's with stans strips and sealant never burped a tire ever, in fact after a day or so i have to pry the strip off the tire to change the tire, they seem to semi-vulcanize together...no way at all for air to
get out

Tires
mich 32, mich 16.1, mich 24.1, mich 24.1 lite (no longer made and not tubeless specefic). any where from 2.1 -2.8 inches depending
kenda nevegals 2.5 in pressures about 30 - 35 for DH and 40ish for little biking.

Have several times had small puncture from glass or thorns and the tire spits stans for a coupl of minutes then stops just kept on riding. The only real flat i have had was hitting a cinder block sized rock at about 40mph on the fire road off the top at whistler. Both front and rear mich 2.8/2.5 had ~1 in gashes in the sidewalls they had zero air before i could even stop.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
davep said:
Kanter, have you actually experienced this yourself? I have had the same nevegas on my DH bike since june or so with stans w/o any probs at all..

As farr am my set ups..

Rims
321/729's with stans strips and sealant never burped a tire ever, in fact after a day or so i have to pry the strip off the tire to change the tire, they seem to semi-vulcanize together...no way at all for air to
get out

Tires
mich 32, mich 16.1, mich 24.1, mich 24.1 lite (no longer made and not tubeless specefic). any where from 2.1 -2.8 inches depending
kenda nevegals 2.5 in pressures about 30 - 35 for DH and 40ish for little biking.

Have several times had small puncture from glass or thorns and the tire spits stans for a coupl of minutes then stops just kept on riding. The only real flat i have had was hitting a cinder block sized rock at about 40mph on the fire road off the top at whistler. Both front and rear mich 2.8/2.5 had ~1 in gashes in the sidewalls they had zero air before i could even stop.
I have not had this happen to me but I have heard of it happening to a lot of guys that have tired Kenda and sealants. I really dont care. Run it. See what happens.
The vulcanization you are talking about is probably your tire starting to break down and adhearing to your rim.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Sun Singletracks, Maxxis Rim Strips.

Front: 2.7" DHF (non-tubeless) stan's sealent to seal up the tire.
Rear: 2.5" DHR UST or Highroller UST with no sealant.

Both work great. I have also been experienting with some latex tubeless tire sealent from Tractor Supply that is cheap. I will post result with more testing.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
2.7 and 2.5 USt Highroller's on 823's. I run 15-20psi in the front and 20-25 in the back. Freeride and DH, I'm not the smoothest rider, but these have yet to burp on me.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Kanter said:
I have not had this happen to me but I have heard of it happening to a lot of guys that have tired Kenda and sealants. I really dont care. Run it. See what happens.
The vulcanization you are talking about is probably your tire starting to break down and adhearing to your rim.

No the tire is not sticking to the rim and the tire rubber is not changing any way that i can tell. The stans strips stick to the tire. All tires have done the same (mich tubeless and non, kendas, maxis etc) with OR without the sealant liquid. The stans strips are just a very soft and kind of tacky/sticky. So when the tire is inflated it presses against/into the strip and they kind of stick together after a while.

I have just wondered how people possibly burp the stans set up?? If i put a tire on w/o sealant for two days at lets say 30 lbs, i can deflate the the tire to ~5 lbs and pinch the opposng beads together in the center rim grove with out loosing any air.

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
mavic ex823 ust rims 2005's, michelin comp 16 2.5 ust tires, 30psi f/r, 145lbs, smooth-ish. Two flats last season both hitting the rear tire hard on a sharp rock cutting it. Tube patches fixed both cuts, but right after the flats I put in a tube and finished the day. No problems with burbing.

This set-up is easier to mount and inflate than tubes. Without a tube in the way the tire goes on by hand and comes off with a small plastic lever.(you have to pull the beads of the tire back into the center channel of the rim first) The tire will inflate with a floor pump if: the tire's wire bead has no kinks in it, the tire beads start in the center channel of the rim and the tire beads and the inside of the rim have soapy water on it.(use a wet sponge with a drop of dish soap)

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Slight thread hijack:
.:Jeenyus:. said:
2.7 and 2.5 USt Highroller's on 823's. I run 15-20psi in the front and 20-25 in the back. Freeride and DH, I'm not the smoothest rider, but these have yet to burp on me.
Are the 2.7 UST an OEM spec? I think I've seen IH and others spec 2.7 UST tires on some of their bikes. Or does anyone know if Maxxis is planning on releasing 2.7 UST (Minion or HR)to the public this year? What about thier new compound in USTs?

toby

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
davep said:
Kenda warns against using any sealents on their tires and will not warranty any tire that is used with it. They have the info listed on their website.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Salami said:
Kenda warns against using any sealents on their tires and will not warranty any tire that is used with it. They have the info listed on their website.
I am well aware of that. my point is that it does work for me (8 months so far) and i was wondering if anyone has actually had problems or if this is all just hearsay.

The way i look at it, tires are consumables like chain lube, fork oil or grips, cant think of why anyone could claim a warranty (are tires guaranteed to do something?) unless they were obviously messed up out of the mould which would be obvious the first time it was mounted.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
in the trees said:
Slight thread hijack:

Are the 2.7 UST an OEM spec? I think I've seen IH and others spec 2.7 UST tires on some of their bikes. Or does anyone know if Maxxis is planning on releasing 2.7 UST (Minion or HR)to the public this year? What about thier new compound in USTs?

toby
They came with the bike...

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
For me, Tubeless is the way to go. Others have opinions, but my experience has been good. Extremely good. 1 flat in 2 years due to Sliced Tire (DH specific Tire - Maxxis High Roller 26x2.5 60a) No fault of tubeless setup. I use my own sealant that I mix.
I have used the "Ghetto" tubeless setup using 24" and 20" Tubes but my experience is that the stans strips seal much faster with less sealant and their is no need for trimming back excess tube. I have a process where I put the rim strip in and seat the tire.
then inflate the tire without sealant and let it pop into the bead. I then take the core out, put sealant in and reinflate. Within several minutes (literally 1 or 2 minutes, it has sealed and I'm good to go. Plus with my mixture, I spend about 30.00 total for the ingredients + 2 Stans Rim strips = 25.00ea, and get 2-3 years of supply or basically help my team guys with their tubeless setups with sealant. So far, I have not had to replace the Stans Rim Strips because I haven't had any flats. Stan's Mixture is 10.00 per bottle and takes a little longer to seal from my experience.
Good luck.

Here is my mixture:
1 part liquid latex - Mine is Purple
2 parts water
1 part Fix a flat

DH Bike #1
Front:
Tire: 26x2.7 Minion SRY
Rim: Mavic Disk 321
Strip: Stans DH/FR Strip 36mm - 39mm
Style: DH Race Bike / Freeride Bike
Rider Weight: 215
Pressure: 25lbs

Rear:
Tire: 26x2.5 High Roller 60a
Rim: Mavic Disk 321
Pressure: 35lbs or less depending

Freeride Bike
Front:
Tire: 26x2.5 Minion SRY
Rim: Azonic Outlaw
Style: Freeride Bike
Pressure: 30lbs or less depending

Rear:
Tire: 26x2.5 High Roller 60a
Pressure: 35lbs or less depending

DH Bike #2 - Still being built (Yeti 303)
Front:
Tire: 26x2.7 Maxxis Minion ST
Style: DH Race Bike

Rear:
Tire: 26x2.5 Maxxis Minion 60a

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
danm, everyone who has good experiences with tubeless has rim which have bead locks like the 729, singletrack and 823. anyone run 521 or 721? coz that what i have and was wondering weather anyone has had any luck with that rim or any other rim that doesn't have any kind of bead lock?

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
dhkid said:
danm, everyone who has good experiences with tubeless has rim which have bead locks like the 729, singletrack and 823. anyone run 521 or 721? coz that what i have and was wondering weather anyone has had any luck with that rim or any other rim that doesn't have any kind of bead lock?

Yes, the 521 does great with ghetto tubeless.

Dufault01

Chimp
Nov 10, 2005
I used deemax wheels with hutchinson octipus tires. No sealant just air. Sometimes Id run them as low as 15 for the double side wall versions, high as 25 with the single wall.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
2.35 Kenda Cortez single ply tires mounted to Azonic Outlaw wheels using stans and Maxxis rim strips. So far no problems.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Front:
Azonic Evolution Rim- about same width as double wides.
BMX tube
Slime
Maxxis HighRoller ST 2.5

Rear:
Mavic F519 very skinny/deep (don't ask)
BMX tube
High Roller ST 2.5
Slime

J

JRB

Performance Loco wheels, which are Alex something or anothers, with Maxxis rhyno lite strips, stans, and WTB motoraptor 2.4 front and Tioga Yellow Kirin back. No idea how much air, but I didn't love them on my first ride on them today. It is dry and loose as hell here though.

happhazard

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
i'm running stans rim strips/sealant in sun mtx rims. the tire rim combo seems to be key. i have the right width strip for the rim;can't get kenda nevegals(2.7,wire bead) to mount up even with a compressor. wtb timberwolf(2.7 dh casing,wire) is alright, but burps alot. arrow 2.5 ramped bite tubeless went on really easy and doesnt burp even at 25 psi or less.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
sun mtx wheels non ust tubeless (ghetto tubeless)minion fr. the high roller rear both tires were ust. 40-60 psi then w\once it got down bellow 15 it started to burp air but thats b/c it was ghetto tubeless