Quantcast

Literally blew fox shock body

Dasquriel

Chimp
Jan 25, 2008

Thats the Drop that blew out my shock. How do i blow a shock? seriously it blew and cracked the aluminum shock body rendering the vanilla rc useless should i stay with fox and get a dhx 5 i need something to handle bigger drops than this

p.s. drop is 14 feet

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Hey "Dasquriel": 1999 called; they want their drop back.

Not sure what knucklehead decided it would be fun to build a "14-foot" drop to flat, but there aren't a lot of shocks in the world that are going to hold up to that kind of repeated abuse. Either brake-check so you catch the transition, skip the drop completely, or prepare to spend a lot of time off your bike while you save up dough for a new shock.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
FWIW if you pause the vid you can see that it's about 12ft or so, maybe more, so I for one wouldn't question 14. And to be fair it's not a drop to flat - he went off of it a bit fast maybe, but there's plenty of downslope to hit. In fact (again, if you pause it) he DOES catch the tail-end of the downslope, no-where near flat where he lands.

Dasquriel

Chimp
Jan 25, 2008
actually i paused it exactly where both my tires landed and i actually landed my front tire on the monster can that was down there so my front tire was flat and my back tire landed on the downslope about 10" higher than the front tire and i know i was going to fast but wtv i just want a shock that can handle it wats an avy

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
actually i paused it exactly where both my tires landed and i actually landed my front tire on the monster can that was down there so my front tire was flat and my back tire landed on the downslope about 10" higher than the front tire and i know i was going to fast but wtv i just want a shock that can handle it wats an avy
Try this shock.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin

Thats the Drop that blew out my shock. How do i blow a shock? seriously it blew and cracked the aluminum shock body rendering the vanilla rc useless should i stay with fox and get a dhx 5 i need something to handle bigger drops than this

p.s. drop is 14 feet
Which raises the question; is down a hill downhill?

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
i heard bender doesn't even do chucks to flat anymore, you should invest in a karpiel and a super monster or something along those lines, circa 2001, it would be cooler than anything! check ebay or pinkbike.

Dasquriel

Chimp
Jan 25, 2008
lol wtv be an asshole i really dont care i had a simple questions whats a good shock for big hits.....god damn

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
i just made a legit suggestion, the karpiel will probably come with an avalanche or something of that nature, remember the heavier your bike, the more durable it will be, you should probably get 24'' wheels too.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
:monkeydance:
MUST SPREAD REP... Buy yourself a Karpiel and you will only have to worry about blowing yourself up from now on. Especially on those heinous super gnargnar stuntastic drops.
Edit: Hamsterpedal- adj. A type of pedalling common amongst "freeriders" in which the rider hammers the pedals but fails to gain speed. See also Steve Romaniuk.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Dude if you dont wana buy an avy(hucktasick) shock
you should just buy another vanilla an put the money youll save towards a leatt brace to save your neck from all the headslapping when you land those totaly sick 8ft(woops i mean 14ft)drops au

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
MEMO: Everyone on Ridemonkey needs to quit riding bikes immediately and take up knitting. We will never be as gnargnar as DASQUIRREL. I bet the 14 yr. old girls think "Dasquirrel is so gnargnar OMG just watching that youtube vid makes me moist". True story

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
I can't believe I read all three pages of this nonsense. Makes me feel glad I've never typed in pinkbike.com.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Huckerific thread moved to super-hucktastic forum.

If you don't land like a ton of bricks, your shock will be fine. If the shock body broke, you probably had coil bind. You may want to look into that as that won't be fox's problem.