Quantcast

Little Bits you Keep in your Pack...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
When riding, what kinds of little extra parts do you keep in your hydro pack in case of emergencies. Other than stuff like tubes and CO2, I mean.

I keep:

Zip Ties
3 safety pins
1 set of Thomson Post hardware
SRAM Powerlink
Little bit of duct tape

J

JRB

Post hardware??? WTF???

I carry circlips for Avid juicy worm gears. I also keep links. Other than that, tubes, every tool known to man, and shock pumps. I am about to ditch the low pressure pump, once I know the Z1 is dialed in.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
Post hardware??? WTF???

I carry circlips for Avid juicy worm gears. I also keep links. Other than that, tubes, every tool known to man, and shock pumps. I am about to ditch the low pressure pump, once I know the Z1 is dialed in.
I have ass-bombed enough seats that yes, I carry an extra thompson cyclindrical nut and bolt when I ride.

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
Tissues. Thats a GREAT idea. I wont hold it next time I have to spackle out there.
I think Rob meant sanitary napkins.

* I used to carry 2 der hangers, after several crapped out rides. Never blasted a post, but that's not a bad idea to carry them. :thumb:

I am going to add 1 crank bolt as well.

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
Crank bolt is a good idea. I may add one to the sack as well.
Since you got Hones, that won't work, but you may be able to get an extra little adjustment bolt. I would think that they could get loose, but you wouldn't trash anything besides a bearing. I could be wrong though.

Maybe Rob could tell us, so we would know for sure.

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
A hanger
Tube and patch kit
Cleat screw
Zip tie(s)
Paper towel
Five dollars
Space blanket
Matches
Holy crap - you must really fly on the trail. :trophy_br

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I carry..........

Ziplock with baby wipes for the mid ride poo

Small single AAA LED flashlight

zipties

chain tool

6" x 6" peice of tyvek as a tire boot

cell phone

Small allen wrench tool

Hayes disc pad spacer (in the unlikely event I squeeze my brake lever with the wheel off)

Small 1st aid kit for long rides

For my "marathon rides" (60 miles or 5+ hours) I'll fold up a tire and carry that as well.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
loco said:
Since you got Hones, that won't work, but you may be able to get an extra little adjustment bolt. I would think that they could get loose, but you wouldn't trash anything besides a bearing. I could be wrong though.

Maybe Rob could tell us, so we would know for sure.
Mr. Know-it-all says it would just damage a bearing.

Kthxbi.

:D

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
1. pump
2. tube
3. patch kit
4. ID and loose cash...
5. chain tool
6. multi-tool
7. Ankle brace.
8. some sort of food stuff
9. Zip ties that haven't been used in 4+ years :o:

The ankle brace has come in handy in at least very crucial two times.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Tube
Bandaids and alcohol wipes
Tissues
Clif Bars
Car keys and/or cell phone if I'm riding alone
Multi-tool
Spare D-hanger
Ibuprofen/Excedrin
Camera
Windbreaker (depending on the season)

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I carry the standard tools with me, especially going on long backcountry rides. I've been building up a first-aid kit as well. The one thing that I have not seen mentioned is extra cleat bolts/cleats. I found out that a cleat bolt is the same size/thread count as the water bottle cage bolts. So, I now have an extra cleat bolt everywhere I go both on my roady and my mt bike.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Ahhhhhahahahhaha. I didn't even know they made a disc pad spacer. :D
Yes you did. There was a thread where I told stosh I would send him one. How dare you forget one of my posts???

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Morryjg said:
I carry the standard tools with me, especially going on long backcountry rides. I've been building up a first-aid kit as well. The one thing that I have not seen mentioned is extra cleat bolts/cleats.
Good call. I've never needed one myself, but have assisted a couple riding companions with my stash of extra cleat bolts.

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
Loco, don't you carry some extra spent cliff bar wrappers to smother small animals with along the side of the trail??
Nope - but I do have clif shot packets for tire boots.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
BigMike said:
You mean....... flathead screwdriver? :confused:
johnbryanpeters said:
Or a pocket knife...
Nope, I'm not a fan of gouging my pads........Hayes makes this little credit card thing that you can work in between your pads and push them apart..........most LBS's around here have them you just have to ask most of the time they'll give them away for free.

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
I seem to pack my Camelbak for different riding occasions, the picture below shows some of the stuff i carry around, and yes.... there's a lot of stuff lying around, i tend to get most of it with me on long epic rides, and carry less when i'm riding ine the urbanised forests around my hometown of Copenhagen!

Up untill now, i've never been in a situation where i haven't been able to fix & repair stuff...:D

click on the link to se it up close :wonky2:

http://mtb.dk/gallery/albums/albun29/Camelbak_008.jpg

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Steen Good Legs said:
I seem to pack my Camelbak for different riding occasions, the picture below shows some of the stuff i carry around, and yes.... there's a lot of stuff lying around, i tend to get most of it with me on long epic rides, and carry less when i'm riding ine the urbanised forests around my hometown of Copenhagen!

Up untill now, i've never been in a situation where i haven't been able to fix & repair stuff...:D

click on the link to se it up close :wonky2:

http://mtb.dk/gallery/albums/albun29/Camelbak_008.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't carry that much stuff even on a 50-miler. That's quite a load! :thumb:

Andyman_1970 said:
Nope, I'm not a fan of gouging my pads........Hayes makes this little credit card thing that you can work in between your pads and push them apart..........most LBS's around here have them you just have to ask most of the time they'll give them away for free.
The purpose of the device is to prevent the pistons from extending in the first place. One comes with each caliper. They're neither better nor worse than other tools for prying calipers apart.