Quantcast

Little Bits you Keep in your Pack...

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
The purpose of the device is to prevent the pistons from extending in the first place. One comes with each caliper. They're neither better nor worse than other tools for prying calipers apart.
Plastic is far less abusive than metal on brake pads. It is designed to spread them open as well.

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
It's also more susceptable to contamination with brake fluid. "Designed to spread [pads] open" - want to substantiate that?
How so??? Metal is as capable of contamination as plastic is. If you get fluid on it, alcohol will clean it anyway. I'm not saying that a screwdriver won't work, but I would rather carry the little piece of plastic. Screwdrivers will destroy most pads though. They will specifically tell you not to pry on car pads with anything metal.

Meh - I need to dig one out of the toolbox before carrying this too much further.

My thoughts:
- The Hayes wedges, anyway, have a bunch of slots that are contamination traps.
- Brake fluids probably (I'm winging it here) adhere to hydrocarbons like plastics better than they do to metal.

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
Meh - I need to dig one out of the toolbox before carrying this too much further.

My thoughts:
- The Hayes wedges, anyway, have a bunch of slots that are contamination traps.
- Brake fluids probably (I'm winging it here) adhere to hydrocarbons like plastics better than they do to metal.
I see your point, but it just pushes between the pads. If you are pushing it in and get fluid on it, your pads are already contaminated. Soaking it in alchol will heal any fluid on it. I agree that the little slits in it are stupid. I am sure there is some function, but I can't find it. The one I sent stosh was cut from a hoof pad, and it is solid. Worked pretty well. I should cut more.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Crank Brothers Multi-tool w/ chain tool
Gerber multi tool
Quick link
electrical tape
crescent hammer
various zip ties
velcro straps
pump
tube/Park Patch
spare hanger
shop rag
MRE matches
LED flashlight
2 power-type bars

I don't carry any bolts, I don't know if i should and of what type. I used a bottle cage bolt and some tape to replace a missing caliper bolt.

loco said:
I see your point, but it just pushes between the pads. If you are pushing it in and get fluid on it, your pads are already contaminated. Soaking it in alchol will heal any fluid on it. I agree that the little slits in it are stupid. I am sure there is some function, but I can't find it. The one I sent stosh was cut from a hoof pad, and it is solid. Worked pretty well. I should cut more.
The slots provide for a spring that prevents the wedge from vibrating out in shipping. It was designed as packing material, not, I think, as a tool.

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
The slots provide for a spring that prevents the wedge from vibrating out in shipping. It was designed as packing material, not, I think, as a tool.
I have seen Hayes refer to it as a spreader, and state to use it as such.

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
OK, you win.
I wasn't even trying to. I was just stating what I had interpreted it was to be used for. I think the Avid and Magura ones are best, as they are red and yellow, respectively, and don't hide in the tool box. I have hell keeping up with the Hayes one.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
loco said:
I wasn't even trying to. I was just stating what I had interpreted it was to be used for. I think the Avid and Magura ones are best, as they are red and yellow, respectively, and don't hide in the tool box. I have hell keeping up with the Hayes one.
Way to whup on the old man, loco! :thumb:

He's probably over crying in a corner.

You bully. :eviltongu

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Way to whup on the old man, loco! :thumb:

He's probably over crying in a corner.

You bully. :eviltongu
Yeah - he didn't even lock the thread. :trophy_br

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
some multi-tool
spare tube & tire levers
pump
cleat screw
zip ties
duct tape
lighter
mini black diamond headlamp
condom (you just never know, do you?)
sawzall

J

JRB

It turns out that Hayes doesn't list the spreader in the instructions and say to use a screw driver. JBP is just as much, if not more right than I am, so I must graciously hand over the trophy. Good play, JBP.:trophy_br

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
chapstick
tissues
zipties
powerlink & a few spare chain links
bandaids & little neosporine (sp.?) packet
powerbar/gu
multi-tool & tire levers
tube
pump
cash (usually $5-10)

Edit: ibuprophine & benadryl

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Dakine Nomad

-crank brothers multi tool
-pedros tire levers
-7" pump
-small first aid
-brave soldier stuff for when someone sees some blood
-a tube (I like to have 2)
-sram chain links
-small pocket knife
-needle nose multi knife
-purple extreme chain lube
-self adhering patches
-2 bells
-zip ties
-disposable camera
-few $
-electrical tape
-2 der. hangars
-uhh, ...water

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
loco said:
It turns out that Hayes doesn't list the spreader in the instructions and say to use a screw driver. JBP is just as much, if not more right than I am, so I must graciously hand over the trophy. Good play, JBP.:trophy_br
Wow I didn't mean to start a poop storm over this fellas........:o:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
loco said:
I think Rob meant sanitary napkins.

don't laugh, these are a great item for the first aid kit. They are excellent for bloody wounds, duh.

other tidbits I keep in my pack - spare derailler hanger, spare cleat bolts,

J

JRB

geargrrl said:
don't laugh, these are a great item for the first aid kit. They are excellent for bloody wounds, duh.

other tidbits I keep in my pack - spare derailler hanger, spare cleat bolts,
I don't think that is the bleeding Rob is trying to stop. :think:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
ziploc bag with: 2 spare chain links, 2 chainring bolts
zipties & ~20' duct tape, small superglue
spare m5 & m6 bolts/nuts in a few lengths
1 pair avid disc pads/pad seperator thingy
1 precut shift cable

ziploc bag with: 1-2 tubes, 2 tire levers, bunch of glueless patches
spare 6mm allen for the through axle
2 oz. teflon lube

small thing of sunblock
mini camera tripod
fairly honkin' big & comprehensive first aid kitbag
cannon a-520 digicam-bag on left shoulder strap
chapstick, leatherman squirt, micromag lite-right shoulder strap
multi tool in pouch-bottom of right shoulder strap
bunch of random granola bars & energy spooge gels
100 oz. camelbak bladder
thin Pearl Izumi shell

all stuffed into a Wingnut Gear Hyper 3.0 pack (great pack! stays nice an low/stable, doesn't shift around much). extra clothing/food gets added depending on the ride. 9 pounds as is, more with extra crap. i've used all the above at one time or another on myself/my bike, or others. i prefer to have it along and carry the weight, than not have it and need it. i don't even notice it any longer, i've gotten so used to it.

got a Camelbak Rimrunner (old bag) if needed for really big/long hauls.

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
stinkyboy said:
Where's the headset press?
Hehe.... i forgot it on the pic :D

I tend to adjust the stuff in my CB, after various riding conditions... longer hauls means more stuff, sometimes even a spare derailliur, somehow... Murphy's law is after me, so i've learned the hard way...:wonky2:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
TreeSaw said:
One of the guys we used to ride with had a couple of McDonald's cheeseburgers in his pack on a long ride. He busted that out when everyone else was eating powerbars...too funny!!!!

That's funny! I'm gonna have to use that. I wonder if a Happy Meal will fit in my pack?