Quantcast

little help...dj and freeride

wishihadmoney

Monkey
Dec 1, 2005
Boone, NC
edit...lookin now for hardtail dj/freeride frames..my price range is 250..also would like suggestions for good dj and 4x cranks..i have about 350 to spend on both

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
how bout some more info? IE complete or frame, singlespeed or geared, how much u wanna spend, hardtail or full squishy? Give us some more info and we'l help ya out

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Concentric pivits pedal like crap. For a hardtail I would check out .243's offerings or an Evil DOC:

For a complete bike a Specialized P. 3 might be a good option, but it's more on the DJ side of things.:
A .243 seems to be a great all-around HT. For a dual suspension bike I would look nowhere but towards the Specialized SX Trail. It's a sick bike that's decently light and super beefy. The frame has a lifetime warranty and it's got proven FSR suspension.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I just rode my DOC for the first time today and it blows the P. 3 out of the water. Yes, I've ridden both (and it was the new P. 3). The DOC is so sick with a short travel fork!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Bicyclist said:
I just rode my DOC for the first time today and it blows the P. 3 out of the water. Yes, I've ridden both (and it was the new P. 3). The DOC is so sick with a short travel fork!
As a DOC owner meself and someone who's ridden many of the p bikes although not the new ones...........what the hell are you talking about?:p

What's the beef with the new p.3s?

As far as an sx trail goes........that's the last bike I'd ever want to be dirtjumping on.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Why would you ever ride a SX Trail dirt jumping?

Look at a cdale chase they are handmade in the usa, decent part spec but the frame is amazing w/ a lifetime warranty too. The Specialized P3s are real nice.

One thing id check is the BB height depends what you want, i like a lower BB so i wouldn't touch a DOC.

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
wishihadmoney said:
hey im lookin into new bikes...sumthin for dj and freeride but more on tha dirtjump side, geared setup...i got about 1200 to spend, htail, would like to buy complete but lookin at frames too, ne suggestions
Call Chad at Soul Cycles.

My loki has proven stable and sturdy at both the park and the trails.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Don't get a crank'n'fail. :p

Seriously, a P3 or whatever the P bike you can afford for your cash is probably the way to go.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
wishihadmoney said:
ya all u soul riders...a guy is sponsered by them at my school, so he can get frames fer dirt cheap...hows the titan ride?
Only dj'ed mine so I can't give you a real review. Once I get out and do some more riding I will let you know.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
kidwoo said:
As a DOC owner meself and someone who's ridden many of the p bikes although not the new ones...........what the hell are you talking about?:p

What's the beef with the new p.3s?

As far as an sx trail goes........that's the last bike I'd ever want to be dirtjumping on.
The P series bikes are just so short. I can't really ride them.

I think a short travel fork helps the DOC a lot. It steepens it up and lowers it a bit.

He said he'll be doing some freeride, hence the SX trail and .243.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Some people complain about the DOC because it's a bit more of an all-rounder rather than a pure DJ/Street bike. It depends what you like. Putting too short a fork on it can make the BB too low for some I think...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well someone mentioned a high BB, so with a 3" fork it gets dropped and the angles get a little steeper. It works really well for me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jeez...........I love the doc hate from people who have never ridden one.

Mine is a small with 26s, arrow tires and an 80mm manipoo fork. BB sits at 12.8. Head angle is 70. Tell me that's a horrible dj bike.

I sold a chase frame to get the doc I've got. The bb is lower on the chase which gave me a hernia trying to manual it. The medium was also way too long both in the chainstay and the front end. Jumps I had to pump on with that bike, I just cruise with the evil.

I whined about the bb height a bit too but then I just rode it and concluded it's irrelevant. It's on par with most other bikes in handling.

I haven't seen any of the new p frames yet but the smaller ones are pretty tiny.

Keep in mind that shorter wheelbases follow transitions better will almost always result in a faster bike between jumps.

haggis

Chimp
Jun 22, 2003
Daegu, S.Korea
What's this I hear about Evil DOC geos being crap... Was thinking that on paper it would be a buttery dirt jumper with stable trail manners on a 4" fork... Any owners to testify to this claim?

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
for dj h-core get the soul cycles roscoe

for all around soul cycles titan

for more hard core freeride id go w/ the soul cycles sluggo, its basically an imperial

those r the ways id go SC wise, most of these other bikes, except maybve the sx trail, would suit ur needs.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
I personally feel that if you go with Soul Cycles the Loki would be your best bet. The frame is incredible. I used mine for street, park, dj and trails/light freeride. It handled everything and wanted more. I think that soul missed the mark with the roscoe the only thing it has going for itself is the fact that it steel.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Giant STP 1 would be a good choice (not sure on if the 1,2,3 models still exist for 06' though). It's only downfalls (for freeriding) is a.) being especially stiff and unforgiving and b.) is that the stays seem to be particularly short as it is designed largely for street and some trials purposes....but you may like that setup.

wishihadmoney

Monkey
Dec 1, 2005
Boone, NC
ya nebody got pictures of the roscoe and sluggo...i just sold my frame and need another one..also any1 know when souls site is going to b up and when u can buy frames, or even if you can order them over the phone

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
wishihadmoney said:
ya nebody got pictures of the roscoe and sluggo...i just sold my frame and need another one..also any1 know when souls site is going to b up and when u can buy frames, or even if you can order them over the phone
Might find a few pics on www.unrealcycles.com
Soul Cycles does have a phone # listed, so I guess you can try to call it and see what they say about the new frames.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
ufdff15 said:
I personally feel that if you go with Soul Cycles the Loki would be your best bet. The frame is incredible. I used mine for street, park, dj and trails/light freeride. It handled everything and wanted more. I think that soul missed the mark with the roscoe the only thing it has going for itself is the fact that it steel.
have u ridden one...????

here ur pics for the SCS roscoe

me for size comparison (im 6'), they only make one size frame and i love it

wishihadmoney

Monkey
Dec 1, 2005
Boone, NC
ya i tried calling soul...like 5 times...i guess they arent to quick to get to tha phone, ive been thinkin about racin sum 4x so i think the loki'll b my best bet if i go w/ soul, i reckon i couldnt quite go all out 4x on a titan

wishihadmoney

Monkey
Dec 1, 2005
Boone, NC
ya sorta tryin to bump this up and become a monkey:) but im tryin to decide b/t the loki and titan... i think ide b better off racin and djin the titan than tryin to freeride a loki...and what do yall think...shiver sc or z150?

huckjunkie

Chimp
Feb 8, 2006
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
ufdff15 said:
I was wondering if the Loki has horizontal dropouts and also how many different sizes does the loki come in.

huckjunkie

Chimp
Feb 8, 2006
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
I wonder what size I should get, I am 5'10" 160 and I will be using it for mostly dirtjumps and a little bit of freeride, but not much, that is what the Switch is for. Any recomendations??