Quantcast

Living the dream - road trip style.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good

Next Tuesday (June 10) my roommate, girlfriend, and I will depart on a two month long road trip of epic proportions. We're going everywhere, doing everything, and it's going to be a blast. The jeep is loaded with our fishing poles, bikes (of course!), cameras, camping gear, and hiking boots. We've got a list of places to visit but no real agenda, leaving ample time and flexibility which equals mucho fun. We may hit up a BC Cup race or a Whistler Dh event if we're in the area at the right time.

Possible destinations:
1: Yellowstone NP, WY
2: Big Sky, MT
3: Calgary, AB
4: Canada Olympic Park, AB
5: Banff NP, AB/BC
6: Panorama Resort
7: Golden, BC
8: Kicking Horse Resort
9: Glacier NP, BC
10: Silver Star Resort
11: Kelwona, BC
12: Sun Peaks Resort
13: Kamloops, BC
14:: Mission, BC
15: Whistler, BC
16: Vancouver, BC
17: Seymour
18: Fromme
19: Cypress
20: Vancouver Island, BC
21: Seattle, WA
22: Portland, OR
23: Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP, CA
24: Tahoe, CA
25: Reno, NV
26: Las Vegas, NV (To win all of our money back! Well, maybe.)
27: Home (Just in time for school to start)

While in BC, we'll moving moving west to a new location every few days or so, but will likely stay at Whistler and Vancouver for longer.

So stoked.

If you're in one of the locations above and wouldn't mind showing a few like minded riders around for an afternoon, we'd really appreciate it! (or if you know of any amazing trails, rivers to tube down, mountains to hike, lakes/streams to fish, etc)

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm very very very jealous.

On your way through Yellowstone, stop in Jackson Hole/Wilson and go ride the Teton Pass trails. Soooooooo worth it.

Jun 11, 2004
If you're in one of the locations above and wouldn't mind showing a few like minded riders around for an afternoon, we'd really appreciate it! (or if you know of any amazing trails, rivers to tube down, mountains to hike, lakes/streams to fish, etc)
While in BC hook up with Johnny Smoke: http://bushpilotbiking.com/

He knows where ALL "the goods" are...............

BTW, your trip sounds awesome!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Super-cool. Make sure to get to a net cafe every few days and give us some photos and an update on your trip! This is the sort of thing blogs are meant for, not the normal **** people fill them up with :)

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
god you're doing what i feel like doing every single day! (except i live in Virginia)...blah.

may be innapropriate to ask, but how much is this trip going to cost you? i mean lift tickets at all those places.... I guess camping is your lodging (for the most part). But gas as well, that's ridiculous here, i KNOW it's gotta be worse out there....?
What about fishing licenses in all of the other states and Canada?

it's making my brain hurt just thinking about all the little details. how long did it take you to plan everything out?

have fun and be safe!! you're doing something that (i bet) every member here would love to do. drink some good west coast microbrews for us!

S

seespotendo

sounds kinda "into the wild"ish. if you've ever read that book, or seen the movie.
but hopefully without the same ending...

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Brandon, when I read your title, all I could do was laugh and think of the movie "Wedding Crashers".

"...Damn look at you, just living the dream." :rofl:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
We're in Seattle depending on the sort of riding you do. Some fun in town XC, and then there's Seatac... Drop a line, bastard.

springfish

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Hood River, Oregon
DEFINITELY stop in Hood River, Oregon (about 60 miles east of Portland) to ride the Post Canyon trails. Do a search on Youtube (or Pinkbike) for "Post Canyon" to find pics and videos of the trails. They're SICK! You can camp right up in the middle of the trail network, awesome fishing and great tubing on the local rivers. Hit me up with a PM if you want a tour guide.

Sounds like a great trip.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
let me know when your in mt brandon. if im around you guys are welcome to crash at my place and i can show you all the fun local spots

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Part of me is jealous, and the other part cringes at how much gas is going to cost you

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
I'm very very very jealous.

On your way through Yellowstone, stop in Jackson Hole/Wilson and go ride the Teton Pass trails. Soooooooo worth it.
We're seriously considering this option, and will likely add it to the list. Turns out most of the resorts don't open 'til late June, so we'll need to take our time getting to Canada. May as well ride some epic high country stuff.

- seb said:
Super-cool. Make sure to get to a net cafe every few days and give us some photos and an update on your trip! This is the sort of thing blogs are meant for, not the normal **** people fill them up with
Deal. http://bturman.blogspot.com

Eren said:
depending on what days your in whistler and seattle i can show you some trails.
We'll likely be in Whistler during late July. Seattle will be a bit later, prolly around Aug 5 ish. Thanks for the offer. I'll hit you up later in the trip!

bizutch said:
just don't camp in the Magic Bus...no matter what!!!
I'm guessing there is a story behind this . . . do tell.

AlmostHeaven said:
may be innapropriate to ask, but how much is this trip going to cost you? i mean lift tickets at all those places.... I guess camping is your lodging (for the most part). But gas as well, that's ridiculous here, i KNOW it's gotta be worse out there....?
What about fishing licenses in all of the other states and Canada?

it's making my brain hurt just thinking about all the little details. how long did it take you to plan everything out?
We've budgeted what we think most of the trip will cost. Between gas (priced at $4.20+ a gallon), food, fishing licenses, misc expenses, camp ground fees, lift tickets, vegas, etc, it will likely cost each person ~$2400. We're not paying rent during the summer, so that adds to our cash pile, which is a big plus.

Honestly, getting all of the gear together took the longest. Planning locations and things to do has been pretty easy. We just going to go for it and see where we end up.

Kidwoo said:
Keep that video camera battery charged.
We're hoping you'll star in part of the tahoe footage ;)

DirtMcGirk said:
We're in Seattle depending on the sort of riding you do. Some fun in town XC, and then there's Seatac... Drop a line, bastard.
We plan to ride some XC and some other gnarl I've ridden in the past when in the Seattle area. I'll send you a pm later in the summer :cheers:

springfish said:
DEFINITELY stop in Hood River, Oregon (about 60 miles east of Portland) to ride the Post Canyon trails. Do a search on Youtube (or Pinkbike) for "Post Canyon" to find pics and videos of the trails. They're SICK! You can camp right up in the middle of the trail network, awesome fishing and great tubing on the local rivers. Hit me up with a PM if you want a tour guide.
Looks dope. I like big jumps. We're in, and we love tour guides. Likely rolling through around Aug 7.

dexter said:
let me know when your in mt brandon. if im around you guys are welcome to crash at my place and i can show you all the fun local spots
Sounds great buddy. We'll be stopping by Yellowstone, then the Teton area, then heading to MT. You gonna be there around June 17ish?

springfish

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Hood River, Oregon
Sweet. Early August should work perfectly for me. We'll have a blast! My wife is really getting decent at riding. I just picked her up a Transition Syren for the trails around here which should definitely help.

Drop me a PM when the date gets closer and I'll provide you with my cell #.

wil_e123

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
London, England
Got any pics of your jeep fully loaded? 2 years ago i did a road trip with a friend in the world's smallest road-trip car (renault twingo, hehe)...went to France, Switzerland etc...

Anyway, my dream is to do exactly what you guys are doing, might get some cahs together and orgaise this in a year or two, will be cool to have some real feedback/experienced info for everyone!

Enjoy!!

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Anyone want to lay odds on which relationship bites the dust first? Girlfriend or roommate??

Just kidding. Have fun! I'll be in Whistler in late July, too, so look for a bald dude on a army green Shocker who's dead-sailoring all the jumps.

--JP

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I wish I could ride with you guys today but I work 9-9. Have fun on Spencer Mountain. There are a ton of hidden trails up there. Look for a guy and girl on Transitions. They ride there everyday. The guys name is Jordon. His chick, Katie, is probably the best girl biker in the state of Montana and only 19 or 20. They will be up there. RJ should be able to show you later in the day. Check out the DJ park. Its pretty small but fun for a little session. Call me if you need directions when you are on the trails.

I see you used my buddy's Glacier picture on your website.

You have to ride Fernie next. There are some sick trails in Fernie.

http://crankfernie.com/

Have fun.

Last edited:

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
I wish I could ride with you guys today but I work 9-9. Have fun on Spencer Mountain. There are a ton of hidden trails up there. Look for a guy and girl on Transitions. They ride there everyday. The guys name is Jordon. His chick, Katie, is probably the best girl biker in the state of Montana and only 19 or 20. They will be up there. RJ should be able to show you later in the day. Check out the DJ park. Its pretty small but fun for a little session. Call me if you need directions when you are on the trails.

I see you used my buddy's Glacier picture on your website.

You have to ride Fernie next. There are some sick trails in Fernie.

http://crankfernie.com/

Have fun.
Thanks for all the help. The djs and skatepark were fun. Spencer was rad. You have some really fun trails. We stumbled on quite a few of them ...

Because the pass through glacier np was closed and the fact that everyone recommended Fernie so highly, we decided to go for it. After a solid day of rdng there we are now in Calgary.

More pics and a solid update to follow in the next few days.

Last edited:

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I just moved to Tahoe two weeks ago, so I'm slowly learning all the fun places to ride. Let me know when you make your way through my area. We can maybe do some trail riding or some DH at Northstar. Either way, should be fun.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
ENJOY! That is all i can say because i took a month long trip across the country to whistler after my freshman year at college. To this day it is by far my favorite riding memory, and memory in general. I need to get back whistler and the shore because i was in heaven....at least it was AlmostHeaven.