Quantcast

Local Condition in Pisgah

clemsonbiker

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
Well its time again for spring break and I was wondering what the trails are looking like in Pisgah right now. and if the parkway is open? figured it would be since no late season ice storm like last year. But anybody got any info on the trails, which are runnable, etc...(am/dh stuff)

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Its dry and good to go. Parkway is closed for a stretch between 276 and I26. FS 477 is closed at the stables. FS 475 is closed just above the hatchery. Seasonal trails are open until April 15.

Beyond that everything should be normal.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Pisgah Area SORBA sent out a blast last night saying Pink Beds is shut down today for a "prescribed burn". Because, well, swamps caught on fire all the time in 40 degree temps before humans were around right? :rolleyes:

clemsonbiker

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
Thanks for the replys. Any info about greenslick, bennett gap, other fast trails? Heading up there tomorrow morning.

mbrennan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2011
I thought I saw you guys there I recognized the yellow driver 8 I was at the hub getting my trail bike fixed before I rode black. Funny as I had just ridden Bennet yesterday.

mbrennan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2011
You were waiting at the hub and funnily enough I saw you guys leaving after I was on my way to the hatchery to pick up my wife - we take turns while one of us watches our daughter. We will be taking the big bikes to wilsons this weekend but will be back ip here to ride the seasonal stuff one last time the weekend of the 8th hopefully I will bring the big bike then maybe we can all ride together. I would love to check out the driver8 I am a huge santa Cruz nut - I have a vpfree and a bltc

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Since I moved up here I just got a taste of the Appalachians, a local trail at Buffalo mountain. I want more!!! What are some other trails close to me that are am/dh'ish? Preferably between Johnson City and Ashevllie.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Since I moved up here I just got a taste of the Appalachians, a local trail at Buffalo mountain. I want more!!! What are some other trails close to me that are am/dh'ish? Preferably between Johnson City and Ashevllie.
Good lord, nobody has told you about Wilson Creek yet??

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Good lord, nobody has told you about Wilson Creek yet??
haha.. no I've heard about it but was told it was something I'd want to shuttle. How far from JC is it? Trying to get as much riding in before I have to start working again. Taking a long hiatus so wanting to put some miles on the bike before I return to the daily grind.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
haha.. no I've heard about it but was told it was something I'd want to shuttle. How far from JC is it? Trying to get as much riding in before I have to start working again. Taking a long hiatus so wanting to put some miles on the bike before I return to the daily grind.
Me and Kenan can take you on something nearby if we can get Kenan to go. Maybe get Mulestar in on it now that he's haunting this town.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
My fata$$ can climb out of Rasberry in 15-20 minutes, you can too
but you're not climbing it with a 65lb 10 year old on a 37lb bike ;)

i can climb it no problem and the fun to suck ratio is much better than something like kitsuma. noah loved rasberry but hated the climb...would be nice if we could shuttle it 'cause 1 run/climb just about does him in on his dh bike.
we'll probably just start with rasberry and then shuttle headleys a few times to make it worth the 2 hour drive.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Me and Kenan can take you on something nearby if we can get Kenan to go. Maybe get Mulestar in on it now that he's haunting this town.

There is a prescribed burn going on right now that has all of the pink beds area shut down. That includes 1206 from 276 to pilot rock, pink beds, club gap, and a few other things. Other than that the rangers district is in prime shape right now.

Last edited:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i'll be in the wilsons area on sunday afternoon. i managed to talk the wife into being a dedicated shuttle driver for a few hours on the promise that we take the kids to the gorge to explore a bit after shuttles.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Back to Pisgah conditions:

Did buckwheat and all of black+ sycamore Monday. Trails were super dry but a few trees down, one of them on sycamore is a big boy you have to walk around.

Did horse cove gap, squirrel gap, laurel creek, and Bradley creek today. Trails are dry but horse cove was post holed pretty bad from horses using it in the mud. Was not like that three weeks ago, thanks. Squirrel was MONEY, and everyone needs to go see how flow it is since it was reworked. A horse had poached squirrel in the last few days tho, not good on such a narrow trail tread. Bradley creek was as expected... Wet feet.