Quantcast

local organic bacon

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
It doesn't get much better than that.

My wife and I have been trying to aim for as much organic produce and meat as we can these days. Wegmen's has a descent supply, but just recently we found this farm literally 5 miles down the road from us - http://www.kingbirdfarm.com/

All organic meat - beef, pork, chicken. The place is totally cool...the chickens run "free", lots of horses, cows, pigs, ducks, peacocks, cats, and dogs. Our 1-yr old loves checking out all the animals. The do everything by hand or with animals, no tractors or anything. So that's just a bonus when we go - last time we went we got beef, bacon, and eggs. Crazy how fresh and tasty it all is. The bacon and eggs are extraordinary, they taste so much better than the stuff from the grocery store. Only a tiny bit more expensive, but definitely worth it.

sperkins

Monkey
Feb 26, 2008
it sounds great! i have always heard that organic food has a better flavor and is healthier for you than food from the store.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
There are few things as good as super fresh local eggs. So much better than the typical supermarket crap. Texture, flavor, color, everything.
I would have called BS on this until I tried them myself. I've had lots of organic foods from the big chain grocery stores, and didn't notice too much of a difference in taste, though I'm sure its better for you without all the additives. But local organic eggs and meat is just crazy fresh and good. The difference is very noticible, even by a slob like me who just wolfs down his food. Makes you wonder how long it takes those supermarket eggs to actually get to the shelves for sale...

PS - props to me and my "hippy" wife on this, my 420 post. ;-)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I would have called BS on this until I tried them myself. I've had lots of organic foods from the big chain grocery stores, and didn't notice too much of a difference in taste, though I'm sure its better for you without all the additives. But local organic eggs and meat is just crazy fresh and good. The difference is very noticible, even by a slob like me who just wolfs down his food. Makes you wonder how long it takes those supermarket eggs to actually get to the shelves for sale...

PS - props to me and my "hippy" wife on this, my 420 post. ;-)
Freshness is key but there is more to it. Similarly, being "organic" is great but it's only a start. What the hens eat has a huge impact on the flavor. If they eat nothing but bland grains, you get bland eggs. If they can truly roam and eat a variety of foods (grains, grasses, bugs, etc.), you get more flavor.

A great illustration is Matt Romero at Romero Farms in New Mexico who feeds chili peppers to his hens and gets red, peppery yolks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Freshness is key but there is more to it. Similarly, being "organic" is great but it's only a start. What the hens eat has a huge impact on the flavor. If they eat nothing but bland grains, you get bland eggs. If they can truly roam and eat a variety of foods (grains, grasses, bugs, etc.), you get more flavor.

A great illustration is Matt Romero at Romero Farms in New Mexico who feeds chili peppers to his hens and gets red, peppery yolks.

Maybe I am a little crazy but I swear most milk, chicken and egg products just taste like corn anymore.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
We have something of a wild boar problem on the public lands here in TN. Im thinking of going and getting me some "organic" bacon this fall.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
anyone in the north nj area or southern ny area should check out my girlfriends organic farm. they have organic meat for sale, even UNSLICED BACON!!! pm me for details if your interested.