Quantcast

Local Slalom/MX series

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
TO: Anybody who rides DHish stuff
REGARDING: New local DS/MX series

This is an idea for 2005. I know Big Crank used to put on the Thunder Valley slalom series, and without that I know I wouldn't be racing DH/DS/4x...anything. The events were always well run and lots of fun, most importantly if promoted right, bring new people (like me) into the sport.

I know that venue is clapped out and Big Crank is over it, but if there was some way we (Team Bikesource Gravity) could secure a venue and build a good course, run races on non-MSC/NCS race weekends, (Primerly in the Spring/Fall) and most importantly have it cheap and close would you guys attend?

Trying to build a general concensus.

-Jeff-

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
If you build it...they will come! Did they ever have attendance issues? I think if you put it together and spread the word, you will have people there. I will even come and take pictures (if it is on a Saturday)

big boy

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
boulder CO.
I would definately go. The thunder valley race is what got me into the sport. It would be sweet if you could build a 4x and dual course then alternate weeks. If you do decide to do this, I would be glad to help out with construstion.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Motionboy2 said:
Did they ever have attendance issues?
Once the MSC got pretty big, with quite a few events, attendance really dropped off quite a bit. However, an early season series would be the ticket for sure, much like Nathrop was supposed to be. Plus, there are TONS more riders, many of them Juniors, that would be stoked I'd bet.

Oh and as for me, you know I'm down for getting my @ss handed to me any old day! :thumb:

stringcheese

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Golden, CO
Great idea! It would be rad to have a (fairly frequent) local ds/mtx series. It probably won't be too hard to acquire some land to do it on, and if somebody hooked the racers up with free beer I'm sure attendance wouldn't be an issue.

I'd be willing to help out with things if many people are interested.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
thunder valley is gonna have an outdoor national next summer and that part of the track/hillside is gonna be used, so no bike track...they have bigger fish to fry in prep for ricky and bubba.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
neversummersnow said:
I know TV moto track is out.
Where are you thinking? Is there any other Moto tracks that have a pitch and space for a MTNx track, Berthod, Milikin?

Soon The Fix is going to have a flat MTN-X track which will be great for training.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Try contacting the guy on MTBR who posted "need feedback on Denver area freeride park" under the CO locals section recently - he closed on land in Idaho Springs last sunday and might be stoked on the exposure.