Quantcast

Lockout Not Working On Fox Float

ccoutts

Chimp
Mar 9, 2010
Hi,

This is one for anyone familiar with the internals of Fox forks...

I've got a 07 Fox Float RL fork. The lockout kinda works, but the forks slowly compress.

I traced it to an o-ring halfway down the damper assembly inside the damper leg. With the bottom of assembly sitting in a cup of oil, I cycled it a few times to fill the insides with oil. Then I closed the Lockout lever, and pressed down. Oil stops flowing from the top of the assembly, so the lockout mech seems to work. But oil now comes from behind an o-ring halfway down the assembly. I guess this acts as a "blow-off" valve, but I'm thinking the 0ring may have relaxed over time, and allowing oil flow at too low pressure.

Does anyone know what I'm on about? Any recommendations? I guess I could replace the o-ring with a new one from an o-ring shop, but an worried that if the new one is too tight it won't blow-off when needed.

Cheers
Chris

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You've got it, just replace the o-ring. Bust out the calipers, size it up, and hit the hardware store.

reblace

Chimp
Jun 11, 2010
Did you ever figure out what was going on? I just bought one of these forks off of EBay and it slowly compresses when the lockout's on. Was wondering if this behavior went away after rebuilding it...

ccoutts

Chimp
Mar 9, 2010
Nah, not really. Watching the damping piston compressing under lockout, oil seeps from under the o-ring halfway down. Not sure if this is by design, or sign of a stretched o-ring. I never replaced the oring, I just put it back together. Its not really an issue, as the lockout effect is still there... its solid-as when riding normally, it just slowly compresses when load is constant.

I wrote on another forum, and some guy mentioned worn pink glide ring (internals of the damper system), which freaked me out a bit. http://www.vorb.org.nz/lockout-not-working-fox-float-t105145.html