Quantcast

Lockout or no lockout?

Snickryder

Chimp
Jul 23, 2001
Broomfield, CO
For those that have a front fork with lockout, do you use it? If so, when and why do you like it? If no, why not?

I just ordered a new bike and I am looking for a new front fork. Have been using Marzocchi almost exclusively for 10 years...good strong forks that have never given me any problems. Currently have a '00 Atom 80. Was about to buy a '01 Atom Race last night when I say the new '02 Atom Race specs in the catalog....3.5lbs, new design oil, and ECC with a lockout switch.

That got me thinking....I've never really wanted or needed a lockout. The new fork is much lighter, which is nice, but it will be more $$$ too. Personally, I'd rather save the $$$ and loose an extra half pound myself. However, if there are real advantages to the lockout that I've never expereienced, then I don't want to miss out.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your thoughts. TIA!
Rick

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Snickryder
For those that have a front fork with lockout, do you use it? If so, when and why do you like it? If no, why not?

I just ordered a new bike and I am looking for a new front fork. Have been using Marzocchi almost exclusively for 10 years...good strong forks that have never given me any problems. Currently have a '00 Atom 80. Was about to buy a '01 Atom Race last night when I say the new '02 Atom Race specs in the catalog....3.5lbs, new design oil, and ECC with a lockout switch.

That got me thinking....I've never really wanted or needed a lockout. The new fork is much lighter, which is nice, but it will be more $$$ too. Personally, I'd rather save the $$$ and loose an extra half pound myself. However, if there are real advantages to the lockout that I've never expereienced, then I don't want to miss out.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your thoughts. TIA!
Rick
Good questions. I am looking to get the 2002 Marzoochi Marathon, which also has the lockout. I think it would come in handy on the hills to eliminate any bob. But, I too am interested in hearing from people.
________
Honda Cr250M

Last edited:

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
I have a headshok on my bike with a lockout...
I do use it occasionaly but not very often. The only times I really use it is during long climbs on smooth gravel roads or if part of the ride includes pavement.

It's a feature I could probably live without but I guess it's nice to have on those occasion when you don't need an active front suspension.

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
Originally posted by Heidi

Good questions. I am looking to get the 2002 Marzoochi Marathon, which also has the lockout. I think it would come in handy on the hills to eliminate any bob. But, I too am interested in hearing from people.

Heidi, I wouldn´t get the Marathon. It didn´t turned out as light as they planned, and it´s fu**in expensive for what it offers.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by strakos

Heidi, I wouldn?t get the Marathon. It didn?t turned out as light as they planned, and it?s fu**in expensive for what it offers.
Well, I definitely NEED a new fork, I believe I want an air this time, I do want lightweight since I race XC. I get 20% off at my LBS so stuff is a little cheaper. I hate Manitou shocks and well, that pretty much sums up my dilemna.
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA DOCTOR

Last edited:

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun

Well, I definitely NEED a new fork, I believe I want an air this time, I do want lightweight since I race XC. I get 20% off at my LBS so stuff is a little cheaper. I hate Manitou shocks and well, that pretty much sums up my dilemna.
why do you hate manitou?

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun

Well, I guess I just hate the Manitou fork I have, plus I have heard bad stuff about other manitou forks and want to try something new.
You should make yourself a new opinion about the new manitou´s.
The new manitou´s almost don´t have flex. Try a black.
Have you considered the new stratos single crowns?

I had a chance to jump on one at my LBS which was attached to an Ellsworth Id. The Black Elite Air (I think? The top model one) was plush as hell, very buttery smooth with no stiction right out of the box. I was impressed. Didn't flex at all for me but then again I'm only a buck-twenty so...

I'm itching to jump on a Forx though....may not be as light but if they are as plush and as sensitive to stutter bumps as they say they will be....plus the Vanilla RLC is cheaper than the top Black as well...woo hoo! :D

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
ive been on a lockout bike since 99 and really i dont find it that useful, i previously had an sxcarbon, then a mars cl, now im running a sx-ti with no-bob since i kinda liked the coil action better and since the mars cl was too flexy for my liking.

i think lockouts are good for racing but not really too useful for anything else, plus it adds another complex system to your suspension, so if you race, go lockout, else i dont really see the net benefit when you take into account weight cost and decreased reliability (poll: how many 99mrd lok-outs have you blown?)

oh and heidi you should give the new manitous a try if you havent i found the mars1 a really really nice fork, still like the ti spring better but the tpc is awesome, never fails, light and plush.

v

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I haven't for sure made up my mind, I suppose the Manitou Black Elite Air is a viable option. There are several things I liked about the Marzocchi Marathon after reading the Bike Magazine review. The shock was specifically designed for the Trans Alp challenge. (LONG distance race) I had a lot of problems with my fork seizing up on long training rides this year. That's not what I need when I am tired and weary during those rides! The marathon IS pretty light at 3.1 lbs, a plus for racing. The lockout has 2 settings, middle, and heavily dampened. I like the idea of the middle one for all the long climbs in races around here.

Damn choices, doesn't it suck to have the freedom to choose!:D
________
R171

Last edited:

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
I haven't for sure made up my mind, I suppose the Manitou Black Elite Air is a viable option. There are several things I liked about the Marzocchi Marathon after reading the Bike Magazine review. The shock was specifically designed for the Trans Alp challenge. (LONG distance race) I had a lot of problems with my fork seizing up on long training rides this year. That's not what I need when I am tired and weary during those rides! The marathon IS pretty light at 3.1 lbs, a plus for racing. The lockout has 2 settings, middle, and heavily dampened. I like the idea of the middle one for all the long climbs in races around here.

Damn choices, doesn't it suck to have the freedom to choose!:D
When Marzokie said that they´d launch a new fork for super long distances, I thought...there can´t be any special thing in there.

I know that in cars and motorcycles on races if you use a normal shock oil after some laps it becomes crappy......the oil dissapears and you have an ugly pasta.

There´s nothing so special on that marathon, I think it´s just hype, maybe you should give it a test ride and see how you like it.

it´s always the same, it might suck for me, but it might be good for you. Each one has his own option.

Snickryder

Chimp
Jul 23, 2001
Broomfield, CO

When do you need to get a new fork...soon or anytime? The reason I ask is that my new bike is coming with a '02 Sid Ti Race. Air fork, lockout, 2.5lbs. For my size/weight and riding style I really want to stay away from air forks, in case a seal breaks...which I have done. So, I'm going to pull it right off an sell it. Heidi, email me if you are interested, and I'll make you a screaming deal.... ;)

Based on thoughts from this thread, sounds like lockout is nice, but not necessary, which is what I have always thought. Cool! That helps me make up my mind. I think I'll head to my shop today and pick up a new fork.

Thanks everyone,
Rick

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by strakos

the oil dissapears and you have an ugly pasta.

Mmmm, pasta, I like pasta.:D

Seriously though, I do plan on doing some testing although I don't know that they'd allow me to ride it for as far as I'd like to really "test" it. It's hard to base my opinion on what someone else rode and then wrote an article on! Thank you VERY much Strakos, I appreciate your opinion/advice greatly.
________
Vaporite Solo

Last edited:

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
I ride with a guy who is on a RS w/ lockout, my question to him is always "why bother?" We ride the same stuff, and at the same pace. I have no problems with keeping up on the climbs, and I'm on a 31lb Isis! My take on it is this, I used to ride a rigid bike...USED to! Suspension correctly set up should only aid in the bike's performance, not hinder. I've been on his rig, and it is actually quite odd to not have small bump absorbtion...besides, it is just another thing to break, and I excell at breaking things! (I supose I could be called simple, but hey, it works for me!) :p

Metroid

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
Cary, NC
I can see using the ECC (not really a lockout, more of a lock down) on a 5" Z1 MCR but on an 80mm fork, that's just being anal.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I hardly ever use the lockout. Ocaisionaly I'll use it on road climbs like in the Test of Metal. That has a 15-20 minute climb right at the start on pavement. I locked out both ends this year and I was near the front but I don't know if the lockouts put me there. I know it "feels" better but feels better and is better are two different things. When Giant tested their NRS race bikes for example, they sent riders around a course on both a carbon hardtail and the NRS. Riders had lower heart rates and faster laps on the NRS but felt slower. It makes some sense that bobbing will have a negative affect. Rebound will come back at you a bit and give a little backwards push. How much is the question. No one that I know has actually done any scientific testing of this bob issue. It might be that its all marketing to sell us stuff. Don't know. But the only place that forks bob a lot is on steep climbs where your standing. How often do you do that? And if you race, do the courses allow you to turn it on and off easily. I wouldn't go out of my way to get a fork or shock with the lock out. I don't think it makes enough difference to me.