Quantcast

London Police Shoot Man on Underground Train

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
LONDON, England (CNN) -- Police in London are reported to have shot a man dead at a subway station, a day after bombers apprarently failed to repeat the carnage of the July 7 blasts.

Unconfirmed media reports said the man shot at Stockwell station -- close to the Oval, one of four sites targeted by suspected bombers on Thursday -- was a suicide bomber.

One witness, Mark Whitby told the BBC on Friday the man appeared not to be carrying anything but was wearing a thick coat that looked padded.

Whitby said an Asian man was shot five times at close range after he had jumped on a train "They pushed him onto the floor and unloaded five shots into him. He's dead," witness Mark Whitby told the BBC. "He looked like a cornered fox. He looked petrified."

Police confirmed to CNN Friday that "armed officers shot a male at Stockwell Underground station." They would not say if the man was dead.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/22/london.tube/index.html

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
DRB said:
"They pushed him onto the floor and unloaded five shots into him. He's dead," witness Mark Whitby told the BBC. "He looked like a cornered fox. He looked petrified."
That's what I'm talking about :thumb:

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Here's the whole quote, I pulled it off of the BBC

Mark Whitby said: "I was sitting on the train... I heard a load of noise, people saying, 'Get out, get down'.

"I saw an Asian guy. He ran on to the train, he was hotly pursued by three plain clothes officers, one of them was wielding a black handgun.

"He half tripped... they pushed him to the floor and basically unloaded five shots into him," he told BBC News 24.

"As [the suspect] got onto the train I looked at his face, he looked sort of left and right, but he basically looked like a cornered rabbit, a cornered fox.

"He looked absolutely petrified and then he sort of tripped, but they were hotly pursuing him, [they] couldn't have been any more than two or three feet behind him at this time and he half tripped and was half pushed to the floor and the policeman nearest to me had the black automatic pistol in his left hand.

"He held it down to the guy and unloaded five shots into him.

"He [the suspect] had a baseball cap on and quite a sort of thickish coat - it was a coat you'd wear in winter, sort of like a padded jacket.

"He might have had something concealed under there, I don't know. But it looked sort of out of place with the sort of weather we've been having, the sort of hot humid weather.

"He was largely built, he was quite a chubby sort of guy.

"I didn't see any guns or anything like that - I didn't see him carrying anything. I didn't even see a bag to be quite honest.

"I got into the ticket hall. I was approached by a policeman and London Underground staff asking me if I needed counselling.

"I was just basically saying I've just seen a man shot dead. I've seen a man shot dead. I was distraught, totally distraught. It was no less than five yards away from where I was sitting. I actually saw it with my own eyes."

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
ALEXIS_DH said:
was the dead guy strapped with explosives??????
you gotta love extrajudicial executions!!!!
I think he had been under surveillance since yesterday after the failed bombings.

Just a blurb I heard on either SkyTV or BBC FWIW.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Yea, when you wear a big bulky coat in the middle of summer after bombings yesterday, are looking shady and acting jumpy, and then bolt when the cops tell you to stop, its no wonder he ate lead for dinner. Oh well, shoulda saw it coming.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
LONDON — Police on Friday shot and killed a man believed to be one of the people responsible for attempted bombings in the city just a day earlier.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Ian Blair and London Mayor Ken Livingstone were expected to give a live news conference around 9 a.m. EDT.

Sky News reporter Martin Brunt at Scotland Yard said police were telling him unofficially that the man shot appears to be one of Thursday's unsuccessful suicide bombers. That news network later reported that there were no explosives found on the man.
From Foxnews

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Cooter Brown said:
so are the Police Commissioner, Ian Blair, and the Prime Minister, Tony Blair brothers?

how convienient, total control of the police, and the nation's government
Hahaha! No but that's pretty funny. Have you seen this guys mugshot?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
"I got into the ticket hall. I was approached by a policeman and London Underground staff asking me if I needed counselling.

"I was just basically saying I've just seen a man shot dead. I've seen a man shot dead. I was distraught, totally distraught. It was no less than five yards away from where I was sitting. I actually saw it with my own eyes."

I'll take that as a yes then.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
I wouldn't need anything but the number to all the media outlets so I could see who would give me the most cashola for the pics I snapped off. OK, I might need a clean set of underwear too, but that's it.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
manhattanprjkt83 said:
could you imagine that shot no punn intended :sneaky:

5 cops on top of a guy gun to his back, blood and a big old "PWN3D!!!1!1" text in arial black.
I heard the guy yelled "I'm 31337 h0x0r" before they shot.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
Fox News said:
That news network later reported that there were no explosives found on the man.
Not that it really means much if he really was the guy from yesterday, but an interesting thing to consider. The london police *did* shoot an unarmed man five times in the head. To me this seems a lot like incidents in the past around here where police emptyed something like 45 bullets into a car in which they thought the driver was holding a gun. I wont comment on whether it truly is justified or not since I was not there, but I don't want to live in a world where police are allowed to use the harshest of pre-emptive punishments casually. Again, I'm not saying thats what this is, but it smells just a little bit funky to me.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Chutney said:
Not that it really means much if he really was the guy from yesterday, but an interesting thing to consider. The london police *did* shoot an unarmed man five times in the head. To me this seems a lot like incidents in the past around here where police emptyed something like 45 bullets into a car in which they thought the driver was holding a gun. I wont comment on whether it truly is justified or not since I was not there, but I don't want to live in a world where police are allowed to use the harshest of pre-emptive punishments casually. Again, I'm not saying thats what this is, but it smells just a little bit funky to me.

What's odd about it is, police in Britan are usually quite level headed. They don't as a matter of course carry firearms.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
I guess what bothers me most about it is the "got what he deserved" comments. Who knows whether he really was guilty from yesterday? Aparantly the british police knew, but does that make it okay to kill him without an investigation? In this case, I think they did the right thing by killing him *if* they really thought he had a bomb under the coat (a pretty reasonable assumption I guess). What worries me is that this situation is being viewed as a complete success on the part of the london police. To me, if the use of deadly force is necesary regardless of the context, someone f-ed up. If they had been monitoring him since yesterday, why didnt they get him on the street when he came out with a coat on? Why did they let him get into a crowd?

All things considered though, I'm glad I didn't wake up this morning to news of another subway blowing up.

J

JRB

Chutney said:
<snip>If they had been monitoring him since yesterday, why didnt they get him on the street when he came out with a coat on? Why did they let him get into a crowd?

All things considered though, I'm glad I didn't wake up this morning to news of another subway blowing up.
uhhh - let me point out David Koresh, the ATF, OK City, and the Branch Davidians. :think:

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
Alright, so he's probably a pretty high profile suspect right? thats why they have been monitoring him. In my opinion, the police f-ed up by giving him even an inch with which to escape (I'm assuming they confronted him and he took off). They gotta assume he's gonna run and take precautions for it. thus its (at least partly) the police's fault that he is dead, and they don't have a suspect in custody.

If he wasn't a high profile suspect and he took the police by surprise by running, doesnt it seem a little over-zealous to cap him in the head?

Jonathan