Quantcast

Long Beach area riding?

DFoxracing

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Huntington beach
I just moved to the Long Beach area and need some place to ride. anybody from this area? Where are the nearest trails? any dirt jumps? pm me if you wish to keep the spots secret, i'm good people.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
Immediately around the LBC there are some DJ spots which have been covered in the PM I just sent you. As for trails, Long Beach is relatively flat, so you're gonna have to drive. Your closest rides are going to be in Palos Verdes and Rose Hills.

PV. I'll catch crap for it, but the horsetrails can be fun though it is illegal and carries all the negative stuff that goes with that. Del Cerro is "supposedly" closed to MTB traffic, but I hear there are still folks ridding there. Take the 405 N to Crenshaw, take Crenshaw south through Torrance, and up the hill. There is a small park at the end of Crenshaw at the top of the hill, park there, then ride through the gate to the fire road and explore the area. Maybe another SoBay local will post up or PM you (and while they're at it me) with the dealio on politial issues there. The area has a nice big fire road down to the bottom, and tons of single track criss crossing the fire road. If you find the water tower (you'd have to be blind not to) head down the stuff off the fire road from there. I haven't been up to this spot in over a year and a half (spent a year off with a busted ankle) so who knows how many jumps and obstacles are still around. The place is very shuttleable, or you can just climb back up the fire road. The place will probably be swarming with people this weekend and in the evenings now that its summer. It shouldn't need to be mentioned, but keep you're eyes open for rattlesnakes.

Next up would be Rose Hills or more commonly known as Turnbull Canyon Like Del Cerro, his area has a fire road that takes a fairly direct route up to the top, and then there is single track that runs all over the canyon. Not much in the way of jumps to my knowledge, but I have friends that have ridden there within the last week and have had no problems with LE etc.

Those are your two closest bets for trail stuff. After that, its pretty much down to Whitting Ranch, Laguna Woods, etc. Or up to the Topanga Canyon, Malibu Canyon area.

I hope that helps.

Chris

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
Spooky/SweetPerformance/Super Dave? Yeah its me. I'd love to go, but no brakes would assuredly equal a repeat visit to the ER. I just secured my derailer so just brakes and a cassette and the new ride is done. Let me know how DC goes. I'l see if Wrightnow wants to meet up with you guys. He's got a pretty flexible schedule and I hear his son just got a new full squish rig.

Don't worry, I'll be getting out plenty as soon as the rig is done.

Talk to you later,
Chris

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
ok, I have a set of hayes 6" disk brakes with rotors I'll loan you for as long as you need them. (someday I'll want them back)
I know I have a cassette or 2 laying around too.
It'd be cool to ride with Mark. I did not know he was into it also.

cheeselad

Chimp
May 17, 2006
All this time I thought people would believe I was stupid for asking about riding spots in the Long Beach area. I've been heading out to Fullerton, Anaheim Hills, Aliso Woods to ride. I had heard of trails in PV, I had also heard it was off limits to mountain bikers. I work in downtown Long Beach and I'm surprised there's any dirt left in Long Beach for people to build jumps. I would also like to be enlightened of any DJ spots in or around Long Beach.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
Dave,

Glad you had a good time. I was at home with Emma, then went out for a bite with Ty and Mark. Mark's son got a Kona Coiler from the Path and Mark's talkin like he wants a new rig, but is on the fence because he feels his old GT LTS is just quicker than the Coiler and thinks that all current full squish deals aren't going to pedal that well. Got any ideas on somethin around the 2k range complete that will ride like a cady compared to his old LTS but still pedal as well? I don't know dick about fully frames, but I'm guessing something with a good rear shock with a peadaling platform would probably be qual to his old LTS. Plenty of stuff with 6" out front and back, so any input would be cool.

As for the guys asking about DJ stuff in LB, good news. After talking to a friend of mine, it looks like there are some jumps in Turnbull canyon. I haven't ridden them, so I don't know what they're like, but something's better than nothing, and the worst case scenario is you go for a bike ride and end up looking somewhere else. I'll PM you two with other info.

Chris

DFoxracing

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Huntington beach
who knows the best way to shuttle the del cerro trails? the trails seem too short to ride up each time

and pm me, i will most likely be going out there tomorrow (tues)

Riff Raff

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Back in Boulder ready ta ride
spookydave said:
I rode at PV last night. It's all there just I remembered from a few years ago but more. Fun place to hit once and awhile. If I was closer I would go alot more.
Hey Dave, Hope all is well.

Give me a call or PM next time you head to PV, It's 10min from me. The weekends we don't spend in BB I ride PV in the AM.

-H