Quantcast

Long BMX jumping frame?

SVEN

Sponsor Whore
Feb 9, 2002
here and there, sometimes
I currently have a Huffy Enigma which is more geared towards BMX racing. I am thinking of selling it to get a burlier and heavier DJ frame. The problem is I'm 6'2" and am used to long bikes (DH) and would like to know what you guys recommend for a burly and big (long) BMX frame. Thanks! Preferably i would also like to know if I could get said bike complete, as i would like to sell the Enigma complete.

M

M.W.

How long is long? There are plenty of frames with 21" TTs...

SVEN

Sponsor Whore
Feb 9, 2002
I'm more concerned with wheelbase. My Huffy, which I'm told is long, is 38 inches, with about 1/2-3/4 inch left of dropout. can I get something that long? I am admittedly out of the BMX loop, and ride so I don't have to think about geometry and stuff that you have to be concerned with on DH bikes. Whats a good DJ'er that is sold complete?

M

M.W.

Originally posted by Ir Dan
s and m holmes or ng holmes, Or if you have the money go for a Fit series one, Foster or Foster street
Don't fits have shortish backends?

S&M holmes is long.

Older model Gack frames were pretty long. I'm pretty sure they're more normal-length now.

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
Originally posted by M.W.

Don't fits have shortish backends?

S&M holmes is long.

Older model Gack frames were pretty long. I'm pretty sure they're more normal-length now.
The s & m is longer but the normal fit foster or the fit foster street are both longer chainstay frames

M

M.W.

The s & m is longer but the normal fit foster or the fit foster street are both longer chainstay frames
Oh.

I thought fits were like 14.25"... Oh well.

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County

Oh.

I thought fits were like 14.25"... Oh well.
the street frame has a rear tri of 14.75, the holmes is longer but its nice to have the option of a shorter rear tri for street and what now

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA

the street frame has a rear tri of 14.75, the holmes is longer but its nice to have the option of a shorter rear tri for street and what now
I used to ride a holmes and the shortest you could get the rear was 14.5, man I don't know how I ever used to ride that beast, I mean uhhh, yeah, the holmes is a great bike! (for trails, not street)

M

M.W.

Hmm. I need to learn to read then... Gotta remember, the 2 is the one with the line on the bottom! :rolleyes:

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Originally posted by SVEN

I was thinkin that as well, since Chris Doyle is 6'3". its probably a bit lighter than the holmes as well.
I haven't looked at DK's site lately to see what they offer it in, but:

Chris's old tan bike was a one-off from BREW with a 21.5" TT.
It was supposed to be real long like their legend XXL. (what Chris ran for the longest time)

Get a Legacy!

Handbuilt in the mountains of North Carolina.
No better place.

M

M.W.

Originally posted by Sideways

It was supposed to be real long like their legend XXL. (what Chris ran for the longest time)

Get a Legacy!

No better place.
I think they offer it in 20, 20.5 and 21" but that's just out of my terrible memory.

I'm pretty dure Doyle got like 2nd or 3rd at the Gravity Games, which is cool. He's probably tied with Aitken as my favorite dirt rider.

SVEN

Sponsor Whore
Feb 9, 2002
Originally posted by Sideways

Get a Legacy!

No better place.

yeah, the lagacy is my favorite, the Holmes is more than I want for weight. But hey, I was on the k2 website (www.k2bikes.com) and they show the K2 Biker as 22"TT. Could this be right? That seems freakishly long, can anyone validate this? Also, how is TT measured in BMX?

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA

yeah, the lagacy is my favorite, the Holmes is more than I want for weight. But hey, I was on the k2 website (www.k2bikes.com) and they show the K2 Biker as 22"TT. Could this be right? That seems freakishly long, can anyone validate this? Also, how is TT measured in BMX?
I was ordering some stuff from albes and saw the legacy frame for sale, thought ya might wanna check it out, here's the link: http://www.albes.com/product.asp?0=260&1=262&3=627
It's only available in 20" though.

M

M.W.

I think that's a typo, I was wondering about that when I was looking at their site before. The TT of my K2 Rake is 21", and I'm pretty sure that the frames have the same geometry.

Wait a minute... I just went the K2 site, and the Biker is listed as 21" and the Rake is listed as 22". If that's the case, then it's certainly a typo, as I just went downstairs and measured my TT about 3 minutes ago... :D

Unless they're just out to make me look bad...:mad:

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County

I think that's a typo, I was wondering about that when I was looking at their site before. The TT of my K2 Rake is 21", and I'm pretty sure that the frames have the same geometry.

Wait a minute... I just went the K2 site, and the Biker is listed as 21" and the Rake is listed as 22". If that's the case, then it's certainly a typo, as I just went downstairs and measured my TT about 3 minutes ago... :D

Or you read the tape measure wrong. All of the 2s are getting confusing:)

SVEN

Sponsor Whore
Feb 9, 2002

How do you like your Rake?

M

M.W.

How do you like your Rake?
I like it a LOT. I don't have all that much time on it (haven't been riding much lately), but it seems to be pretty nice. It feels solid, it fits me well. It came with a 15" backend (ie. from the axle, not the front of the slot), which might suit you well, and I pulled out a link from the chain and it's at just a bit over 14" right now. It's pretty much exactly what i wanted. 1 brake, no gyro, I bought a pair of pegs when I bought it, and the price was right (paid $550CDN). The only think I want to change are the cranks, and they're not a "I must replace these NOW!" issue, I'm just gonna swap them out for profiles or some other tubular cranks when they bend (They're forged 3pc. I'm still glad it didn't have some cheesy 1pcers though).

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
hey Lawndart has a Hoffman Dirty130 that im actually borrowing for a bit now. I know its longer than any bmx bike ive ridden, i could measure it for u if u want. Im positive hed sell it (frame or complete) for whatever. PM me if ur interested or care:rolleyes: