Quantcast

long/med/short cage for a Sunday?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It is based around chainwrap. What size chainring and cogset are you running?

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
They all will fit and work fine. I would go short or medium cage. Long cage sucks, they hit stuff too easily. I have a medium cage X9 on my DH bike and short cage X0 on my AM bike, both running 1x9 with 11-34 cassettes with no problems.

Front chainring size is irrelevant if you are only running one.

If you have only one front chainring (which you will have on a Sunday), then get the short cage rear.

You will get away with any of them, but you will have increased amounts of slap and slackness in the chain.

If you have a choice get the short one to keep the chain the tightest.

JT

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Front chainring size is irrelevant if you are only running one.

If you have only one front chainring (which you will have on a Sunday), then get the short cage rear.

You will get away with any of them, but you will have increased amounts of slap and slackness in the chain.

If you have a choice get the short one to keep the chain the tightest.

JT
Why is it everytime there is a Which derailer thread, someone always says to get the one that keeps the chain the tightest? Assuming that the derailer cage has anything to do with chain length.

Biggest thing you need to look at with a bike like the sunday, lets say your looking at a single to keep things simple, what you really want to see is the max cog size for the derailer your using. IE My medium cage x9 is a 32 tooth max tooth size.

Serisously, you need to do the math to make sure that the combination of the ring up front will work with the cogset you have in the rear. I know, I know, most people are running either a 36 or a 38, and most are taking it as a given that thats the gear they are using up front, I also know most are running a road cassette on there DH bikes, which of coarse a 36 with a 12/25 will work great on that bike with a short cage, but just do the calculation and make sure, niothing like buying a hi end component to have it fail prematurely.

P.S. CHECK CHAIN LENGTH BEFORE INSTALLING THE DERAILER

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I think your advice in this case should be;

IF YOU THINK THE LENGTH OF YOUR DERAILER IS DEPENDABLE ON THE FRAME YOURE USING, HAVE SOMEONE ELSE FIGURE OUT WHAT TYPE TO BUY AND LET THEM INSTALL IT AS WELL!

Thats all.
Huh?

Where did you get that? I am just tired of seeing people say the derailer has to do with chain length. Very few bikes I have seen that will be dependant on the frame for derailer cage length. Again, people think derailer cage has to do with chain length. It doesnt, check the chain before installing the derailer, life will be good

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Huh?

Where did you get that? I am just tired of seeing people say the derailer has to do with chain length. Very few bikes I have seen that will be dependant on the frame for derailer cage length. Again, people think derailer cage has to do with chain length. It doesnt, check the chain before installing the derailer, life will be good
Yeah thats pretty much what I thought you were saying.
My point was that someone who thinks his der length has to do with the frame he is using probably shouldnt be installing his own derailer.

:cheers: