Votes: 7 26.9%
  • My name is V-Dub and I starred in Third Down

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was thinking about this in the scope of my XC riding. It doesnt seem to me you need any kind of special bike, as long as the transition is there.

The longest I did was 8 feet in Moab on a trail called Fins and Things.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
There is a giant hill behind my friends house.......Its more thatn 20 ft high.....But that's all I had the balls to ride

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Are we talking descents that are impossible to climb on bike? Well then 3 miles haha, but if we're talking vert's that are impossible to walk up with your bike then i'd say 20 to 30.
Better move your seat down. :p

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Some schtuff in Simi Valley, or at least used to be, had near vertical rock faces to shoot down 12-20 feet.

In SB there is a chute that's not quite vert, but so steep/loose/rutted that stopping is impossible for.... a while.... longer than you'd like really!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Near vertical to me is 75 degree to 90. Anything else is just steep. And it might a near-vertical section in the middle of longer descent.

There is a section at Slickrock near the beginning which is 25 feet high at probably at a 50-60 degree slope, pretty steep but people ride up it all the time.. I remember when I had only been riding off road for a few years, I came up to the lip, where there were a few riders congregating. They were all looking down, too scared to try it. I chickened out too, until some guy just passed up and went straight down without a pause. We all followed him right after that.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I wanna change my answer to 10-20. oops.

My deff. of vertical would be that you couldnt easily walk up on it on two feet, and would have to crawl on all fours. woof woof.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
sanjuro said:
Near vertical to me is 75 degree to 90. Anything else is just steep. And it might a near-vertical section in the middle of longer descent.

There is a section at Slickrock near the beginning which is 25 feet high at probably at a 50-60 degree slope, pretty steep but people ride up it all the time.. I remember when I had only been riding off road for a few years, I came up to the lip, where there were a few riders congregating. They were all looking down, too scared to try it. I chickened out too, until some guy just passed up and went straight down without a pause. We all followed him right after that.
There's a really cool XC trail called Sage Hills in Wenatchee Wa that has some some super steep singletrack chutes followed by super steep climbs. The only way you can make it up the other side is to drop into the gulley and carry the speed to get to make it up the other side. The trail is real smooth, i love that kinda flow in a trail.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Zark said:
Some schtuff in Simi Valley, or at least used to be, had near vertical rock faces to shoot down 12-20 feet.

In SB there is a chute that's not quite vert, but so steep/loose/rutted that stopping is impossible for.... a while.... longer than you'd like really!
Which chute are you talking about? I think I may have ridden it. I know there are a few on Gibraltar Road that I've done.

Going up.....well backpacking we had trail that averaged something like 35% grade in New Zealand and it was covered in mud. 3km of that was enough to make your legs scream for mercy, no biking, but steep. The Kiwis don't seem to know what switchbacks are.

The Ito

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
ito said:
Which chute are you talking about? I think I may have ridden it. I know there are a few on Gibraltar Road that I've done.

Going up.....well backpacking we had trail that averaged something like 35% grade in New Zealand and it was covered in mud. 3km of that was enough to make your legs scream for mercy, no biking, but steep. The Kiwis don't seem to know what switchbacks are.

The Ito
Switchbacks are over-rated dude! :cool:

The longest near vertical thing Ive ridden is on a track John Kirkaldie built,its about 30-40" high and bumpy as hell!
Great fun though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
sanjuro said:

Here I thought you were talking about something that needed to be "hucked" :think:

75-90 degrees is a cliff. If anyone has "ridden" 75 degrees then they need to get out an inclinometer and actually discover it's nowhere near 75 degrees.

-S.S.-

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
ito said:
The Ito
On East Camino Cielo on the way to Cold Springs. You go up hill and come sliding down the hill right to the trailhead. Some used to call it "Mullet" for short climb, long runout. Its just a rut straight down a hill now, friggen lame IMO.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:
Here I thought you were talking about something that needed to be "hucked" :think:

75-90 degrees is a cliff. If anyone has "ridden" 75 degrees then they need to get out an inclinometer and actually discover it's nowhere near 75 degrees.

-S.S.-
That's my point. A 75 degree slope is "near-vertical", and I only had the cojones to do a short section as part of a bigger descent.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:
If it's 75 degrees, I'm hucking it. And that would leave me at the 2 footer again. :o: :D

-S.S.-
So you jumped off your bunk bed instead sliding down?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This is what I was talking about. The smaller ones are huckable, but there is a certain challenge to roll off something and to be pointed straight down...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
sanjuro said:
This is what I was talking about. The smaller ones are huckable, but there is a certain challenge to roll off something and to be pointed straight down...
Must be an adrenaline thing.

If I saw something like what's in those pictures I'd be looking for the "alternate route" down........ :D

-S.S.-

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There was one drop by a power line on Jackie Chan in Tahoe (don't kill me for mentioning it on the Internet - it is closed anyway). There was this tiny ramp but it lead to this 30 foot drop off.

I was with a bunch of much riders, and I was afraid they were going to do the drop, forcing me to roll it. There was a transition, but it looked like I would fall 20 feet before the transition.

I was so glad when they were showing it to me and we went another way.