Quantcast

Looking for a cross frame

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
I have bin looking at bikes for most of the winter and I think I’m going to get a cross bike. I need a new road bike really badly but I just cant afford a new bike they are just too expensive. So I have kind of talked myself in to a cross bike just because they are creeper and I can ride it just about any ware here. I’m looking at 3 bikes I need some input. The Ibex X-ray frame, the Fuji cross or the giant frame. I don’t know any one that has ridden any of them and my shop only has a Fuji cross.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
That Fuji is probably a decent deal, dunno. Oh, wait, I just checked the Fuji web site, and it looks blinged out and stupid.

Those other two look fragile and/or silly, 'specially the Giant.

How about a CrossCheck?
Or a Soma doublecross with a nice 105 build kit?

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
you definitely want either a Surly (but its a bit heavy and not the stiffest bike ever) or a Redline Conquest. Redline's are very reasonably priced and are the raddest bikes for the $ anywhere. I have a 56 cm frame fork and headset available if you're interested. Email crossjj@lmc.edu if you want info.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
Originally posted by jon cross
you definitely want either a Surly (but its a bit heavy and not the stiffest bike ever) or a Redline Conquest. Redline's are very reasonably priced and are the raddest bikes for the $ anywhere. I have a 56 cm frame fork and headset available if you're interested. Email crossjj@lmc.edu if you want info.
I forgot about read line. I was thinking about the giant because it can take disk brakes. A 56 is too big for me I need a 53. Thanx any way.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Originally posted by Pulser955
I forgot about read line. I was thinking about the giant because it can take disk brakes. A 56 is too big for me I need a 53. Thanx any way.
I'm not sure I'd get into the hype on disc brakes for road frames. Maybe I'm just a grump, but they're a lot of complication, weight, and expense for....what? Particularly if it's going to be used on the road a lot.

Also, make sure you account for things like rack and fender eyelets, bottle bosses, etc. depending on what you're really going to be use the bike for....

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
discs are useless on a cross bike. You can't use Shimano shifter/brake levers with Hydraulics and the performance with mechanicals is questionable because of the short cable pull. Not to mention discs are banned from racing use by the UCI. Stick with some good cantis, you'll be better off.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
discs are useless on a cross bike. You can't use Shimano shifter/brake levers with Hydraulics and the performance with mechanicals is questionable because of the short cable pull. Not to mention discs are banned from racing use by the UCI. Stick with some good cantis, you'll be better off.
I can't disagree with you, but I will say, for the record, that Avid "Road" mechanicals + STI/Campy Ergo/aero brake levers are a pretty good (that is powerful, effective, good modulation, etc) combo.

Stick with cantis.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.

Not true I have avid macanicals on my mountain bike and I love them Avid has a set that are made to work with road leavers. And I don't give a crap what any one thinks I know for a fact that disc brakes are mutch better in the wet.

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
discs stop better in the wet, but work questionably with STI levers- there isn't as much cable pull as with a mountain bike lever (I run XT Hydros, Avid Discs, and Hayes on some of my bikes). They do stop better in the wet, but that kind of braking power is completely unnecessary for cyclocross. A disc rotor is just something to get cut on when you shoulder the bike. I've ridden a lot of cross, and two of my teammates living with me raced for the US at worlds for the last two years. In all of our combined racing experience, there is not one time when discs would be at all needed or when cantis werent enough. This is in addition to the fact that they are much much much heavier and cost more than cantis. You could probably get SRP Carbons for the same price as a Avid BBDB, but if that's what you really want, go for it.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Anyways....how much are you looking to spend? I know cost is a concern here but what is your limit? Also, what features do you need? Specifically, do you need bottle mounts? Rack mounts?

Personally, I would stay away from the Surly. Heavy, low tech tubes and all for no real advantage. Fujis are a great value and those I've seen with them are fans. Don't know too much about the other two you mentioned. Also, you might want to check out some cross-specific manufacturers like Ridley and Empella. Both make great frames that ride well and are built by someone who knows the business. Of course, these bikes are limited in their features and some can get pricey.

As for discs, I don't see the point. I ride on the road and in muddy conditions (I live in freakin Vermont) and I have never wished for discs. I don't need the stopping power and my 6 year old Ultegra levers and (newer) avid cantis provide plenty of power and feel.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
Originally posted by JRogers
Anyways....how much are you looking to spend? I know cost is a concern here but what is your limit? Also, what features do you need? Specifically, do you need bottle mounts? Rack mounts?

Personally, I would stay away from the Surly. Heavy, low tech tubes and all for no real advantage. Fujis are a great value and those I've seen with them are fans. Don't know too much about the other two you mentioned. Also, you might want to check out some cross-specific manufacturers like Ridley and Empella. Both make great frames that ride well and are built by someone who knows the business. Of course, these bikes are limited in their features and some can get pricey.

As for discs, I don't see the point. I ride on the road and in muddy conditions (I live in freakin Vermont) and I have never wished for discs. I don't need the stopping power and my 6 year old Ultegra levers and (newer) avid cantis provide plenty of power and feel.

Price is a big deal here. I'm going to try and do the hole bike for less then a grand. I work for a performance and we have fuji and Giant so I can get a good price on them. The giant is only avalibe as a frame set. I want disc brakes badly but I was planing on adding them later. I don't plan on racing this is going to be my allarund bike. One I can just ride eavry ware. I talked to the giant rep and he told me thay haven't had any problems with the carbin forks and disc brakes.

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
not racing and having this as a do it all bike defeats the light weight and maybe the simplicity factor of cantis. You don't need the lightweight, so... rock out on discs if that's what you're into. It'll definitely be a not-so-everyday bike- bonus... I was thinking more about it too and wondered about just using standard mountain bike discs and levers (xt hydros, hayes whatever) and mounting the brake lever on the flats where impella or salsa brake levers normally go. You wouldn't be able to brake from the drops or the hoods, but if you're not racing, this might not be a big deal. Just a thought- something simple and easier to find than the Avids- you can get used hydros cheap- I haven't seen the Avid road mechs but I would guess that you'd need to buy them new and spend a touch more. Build it how you want, have fun riding it, and maybe I'll see you on the trail..
J

May 9, 2003
KENT'S EAST HILL
Price is a big deal here. I'm going to try and do the hole bike for less then a grand. I work for a performance and we have fuji and Giant so I can get a good price on them. The giant is only avalibe as a frame set. I want disc brakes badly but I was planing on adding them later. I don't plan on racing this is going to be my allarund bike. One I can just ride eavry ware. I talked to the giant rep and he told me thay haven't had any problems with the carbin forks and disc brakes.

I HAVE A 52CM CONQUEST PRO FRAME/FORK/HEADSET/BRAKE CALIPERS THAT I WOULD LET GO FOR $250 HAS 40 ROAD MILES ON IT. I BOUGHT THE WRONG SIZE. NEEDED A 48.

May 9, 2003
KENT'S EAST HILL
I would be vary intersted in that. Can you post up some pics of it? And does it have disc brak hangers?
NO DISC'S
03 RED WHITE AND BLACK FACTORY PAINT
NEVER CRASHED

I DONT THINK DISC BRAKES CAN BE USED IN UCI SANCTIONED RACES

YES I CAN EMAIL PIC'S

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
Thanx looks nice. I have to wate till I get back to the shop this weakend and find out if I can get the giant frame befor I can say yes. I still really want disc brakes. I will let you know by this weakend. Ware are you located? And how mutch to ship to me I'm in Norristown pa.

May 9, 2003
KENT'S EAST HILL
Thanx looks nice. I have to wate till I get back to the shop this weakend and find out if I can get the giant frame befor I can say yes. I still really want disc brakes. I will let you know by this weakend. Ware are you located? And how mutch to ship to me I'm in Norristown pa.
KENT WASHINGTON.
I DONT KNOW FOR SHIPPING. 10-15 DOLLARS MAYBE?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Not true I have avid macanicals on my mountain bike and I love them Avid has a set that are made to work with road leavers. And I don't give a crap what any one thinks I know for a fact that disc brakes are mutch better in the wet.
Another issue to consider as far as mounting disc brakes on a cross or road bike is can your tires generate enough friction to effectively use all that braking power? My friend has Paul's stop lights on his Ibis Hakkalügi and even with 38mm tires's it breaks traction under hard braking. Those are Canti's not even Vee's. Jon was referring to the Avid road BB disc brake which is designed for short throw (STI) levers and although good, it has less power potential than the MTB BB version. I like discs, I am planning to build a CX bike with discs also, but I plan to run flat carbon bars and MTB STI's and 44mm tires so it will be more like a rigid skinny tire 29er. Mostly for backcountry rides. I might as well ask for opinions on a bike that meets those requirements, ie; A disc capable cross frame that can clear at least 40mm tires but up to maybe 44mm. It doesn't have to be disc compatible but it does have to clear big tires.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
punkassen-
You sound like a perfect canidate for a Karate Monkey. They are cheap and way heavy, but fit your requirements

you don't really want to run a cross bike with flat bars as the top tube is going to be excessively short. Another option would be a Ritchey Mt. Cross They are 45 max and v only, but they are the sweetest freak bike outthere IMO.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Karate monkey's are cool, my friend has one, but it is too heavy(even as a SS), that Ritchey sounds sweet! I don't mid running a longish stem 110-120mm, especially if a shorter TT means a shorter WB than a true 29er. I do have some shimano XT vee's laying around...lighter than disc for sure.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Originally posted by punkassean
I don't mid running a longish stem 110-120mm, especially if a shorter TT means a shorter WB than a true 29er. I do have some shimano XT vee's laying around...lighter than disc for sure.
Man, people today. 110mm is short for a stem! When I ran my 56/56 Spooky with a flat bar i was running a 135, and it was still short in the TT for my 5'10" frame. Maybe you should look into getting something custom. I have always loved skinny tired fast handling bikes in the woods, and the trend in todays marketplace is becoming fatter and slower, like the rest of American consumer culture. There are a good number of small steel guys out there who could bang out a frame for $800 ish or so. Have your shop give Ritchey a call to see if they have any MT. Cross left first though!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by SuspectDevice
Man, people today. 110mm is short for a stem! When I ran my 56/56 Spooky with a flat bar i was running a 135, and it was still short in the TT for my 5'10" frame. Maybe you should look into getting something custom. I have always loved skinny tired fast handling bikes in the woods, and the trend in todays marketplace is becoming fatter and slower, like the rest of American consumer culture. There are a good number of small steel guys out there who could bang out a frame for $800 ish or so. Have your shop give Ritchey a call to see if they have any MT. Cross left first though!
Hey man I said long-ish!:D

I too used to run 120-135 back in the day...

I would go custom but they money I will have to spend is coming from the sale of my road bike and has to fund the complete cross bike (wholesale) I would like a Kona but they don't make quite what I want. I wonder what I can get for my Scandium/9spd Dura Ace/Ksyrium, super clean low mileage bike?