Quantcast

Looking for a downhill coach.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
has anyone used a coach? if so I'm looking for someone to help me streamline my fitness level for downhill races. I have a bunch of ideas but I'm hoping that a coach will help me get the best bang for my training time.

any help would be great.

Thanks

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
It sounds like you're looking for a personal trainer that has experience training downhill riders and not so much a downhill coach (riding techniques or something)

I know of these two:

http://bondtraining.ca/ (Trained a friend of mine who podiumed at nationals)
http://www.performxracing.com/ (says moto, but they do bike also. Same guys who train Steve Smith)

I'm not sure where you're located, but I know a lot of athletes get programs from people in other parts of the world and just apply them on their own.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Bike skill can only get you so far when racing, fitness is a major player.
Big Bingo.

When I have the fitness behind it, I am much faster. I definitely have more skill than 10 years ago, but am slower overall because Im a slob and I wind up winded or losing my lines cuz Im a wimp.

Get the cardo going, and do plenty of pushups, pullups and core - whether its hardcore complex gym routine, or daily calisthenics -- it makes a VERY big difference.

The silly notion that downhillers are unfit, or that you can safely downhill unfit is baloney! (I would def have less booboos if I were fitter to help avoid or absorb my off's)

Jan 8, 2007
Ladera Ranch
My buddy used Carmichael a few years ago for DH. It was $$. But they got him in really good shape, and winning at the expert level. It takes lots of hours every week to be on a program like this. It's all fitness. Wish I could go back a few years and put that kind of effort into fitness.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
I'm sure the bike will help jon - but I need to fine tune my engine.

Thanks for the help guys
ya better hurry up and start, the season starts in about t minus 2 months.... for a specific dh plan James Wilson has that w/o mentioned by the other poster and it may be ideal for you. it ties together a lot of movements and is pretty cool, but isnt for everyone (including me - fat old and lazy:) you could also try and find a personal trainer in your area or boot camp depending on your starting point with fitness.

if ya have any other sports you could jump in to for now its a lot more fun (basketball hockey indoor soccer spin etc).

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Contact Mickey at Spooky Bikes. He may have the time to help you out.
Right now I barely have the time to eat!
I used to coach full time, mostly DH and BMX racers because coaching endurance racers is pretty boring. Integrating physical, mental and technical preparation into one program is pretty hard and it's pretty much impossible to pay someone enough to do it well.

The very best, most succesfull coach in the history of MTB racing is a dude named Stefan. If he agrees to work with you and you're prepared to part with about $3600 a year and move to France you will have absolutely no excuse for not kicking ass all day every day. Even if you can't relocate to the Pyrenees access to Girard is gold. He knows his stuff. 16 World Championships an Olympic gold medal and at least a dozen World Cup overall championships means serious business.

Physical preparation is pretty easy though. I disagree with a lot of what the dude at MTB strength training says and believes but the fundamental movements he advocates in the weight room are spot on, ignore all of the poppycock about aerobic fitness not mattering though.
I know Gene at Betterride has had some great success coaching beyond just skills.

Myles Rockwell threw his hat into the ring last year but now he's scored a sweet gig working with Trek World Racing. That means he get's to take care of his son while his wife is racing and he'll be keeping on top of the preparation and psyche of the DH riders. That team keeps getting better and better.

If you are looking for physical and mental preparation from a traditional cycling "coaching" perspective look for someone who raced Pro XC in the '90s. They will understand downhill racing pretty wells since bike racers used to have technical skills then and most people used to race DH occasionally too. Way too many of the people who consider themselves "coaches" don't know a frikkin thing about...anything.
The biggest benefits from working with a coach are the mental benefits. Almost any decent resistance program and riding your bike a bunch is awesome