Quantcast

Looking for a little help.

texasrig

Chimp
May 16, 2007
I bought a used Trek 1200 that has an aluminum seatpost. I am going to get a carbon post off of ebay but I am not sure which size that I need. Does anyone know what size seatpost I need to get for a Trek 1200?

Thanks
Session

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Its stamped on the aluminum one you have, take it out and read, but seriousness here for a sec, make sure to check with your LBS on that seatpost before shopping on ebay for one, usually alot of take off carbons around for a good price.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Mike's advice on asking your LBS for a take-off anything is a great idea. They might sell it to you cheap. And they're often brand new, just off of a bike.

However, WHY do you want a CF seatpost? Road noise?

You might be better off running your tires with a little less air, something around 90psi? Or maybe even bigger tires with a little less air to soak up vibration.

Lastly, not knowing your issue and application, maybe a suspension seatpost?

texasrig

Chimp
May 16, 2007
Bogey, I tried calling you to see what ya'll had and how much it would cost but you didn't answer. I just can't afford to spend twice as much on a new seat post compared to what I could get on ebay.

Thanks
Session

texasrig

Chimp
May 16, 2007
I didn't mean to ignore you Lord. I apprecieate everyone's input. I already have pretty beefy tires. I don't want to lower my tire pressure too much becuase I weigh about 270lbs so I lose momentum quick and having the tires pretty hard helps me keep it rolling.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Bogey, I tried calling you to see what ya'll had and how much it would cost but you didn't answer. I just can't afford to spend twice as much on a new seat post compared to what I could get on ebay.

Thanks
Session
I've got them for $50. I may even have one for a little less.

I'll be there at lunch tomorrow. I am pretty sure it's 27.2.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Cool, i have 27.2 for 30 bucks, if you want a Nice alloy i have some for about 20. Take off's, New Got a bunch. Still instead of guessing your post size, read the one you have, itll be stamped on it already. If that doesnt work, just measure it.

Reason you wont find the seatpost size online or in some tech manual, is not all trek 1200 have the same seatpost diameter. Maybe if you give us the bike size, then there will be more help. But yes 27.2 is very common and the most likely correct. But check the one in the bike before you buy anything.

Man i love when people come in the shop with there Ebay finds, I got this forXXXXXX dollars, and i have the same item for the same or less price.

As far as not losing rolling resiistance and keeping a smooth ride, Try running Vittoria Diamonte's. Nice supple tire with great rollability

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
He's running Vittorias, I am almost certain.

I am going to put my Open Pros on there, as they will ride smoother than the Bontis that are on there now. After talking to Session, I don't think a carbon post is the answer.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
He's running Vittorias, I am almost certain.

I am going to put my Open Pros on there, as they will ride smoother than the Bontis that are on there now. After talking to Session, I don't think a carbon post is the answer.
So he's a client of yours and comes here the for help you're not giving him? :busted:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
He did ask me why I had to give him a hard time on his first post. My answer is "that's what I do". :busted:
TR, did ya hear that? Yup, you're nothing special cuz he does that to everyone.

We're missing the real solution:

Buy a new bike!
Well, yeah, but I assumed texasrig was cheap, like me.

Steel is real... and it really absorbs road noise. If Loco was really a friend, he'd share that wisdom.

texasrig

Chimp
May 16, 2007
I would love to have a steel frame but with a new baby on the way I don't think the wife will go for. I'll have to deal with what I got for now.

I just recently got back into riding after a long layoff (thus the reason for the extra weight). I suspect that when I get back down around 200lbs things will roll a little smoother.