Quantcast

Looking for a new DH ride

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I love my Demo 9. Yea, she's a bit piggy, but so am I. I ride her hard, leave her dirty, then do it all again. I love mine long time.

MadDHer

Monkey
Mar 8, 2006
Transcend said:
1 - that isnt anything to be proud of.
2- great way to base what bike you get, i saw it in videos and people say i ride like so and so.
Hey mate, no reason to hate! If I was basing my decision on an article from Transcend you would totally agree.

Performance is having a sale, so I'm getting the bike after school, and hit the trails! It's supposed to rain, so even better.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MadDHer said:
Hey mate, no reason to hate! If I was basing my decision on an article from Transcend you would totally agree.

Performance is having a sale, so I'm getting the bike after school, and hit the trails! It's supposed to rain, so even better.
Only we wouldn't base a bike review on who rides it, and who friends say you you look like on a bike?

We'd use things like, facts, ride tests and the like.:rolleyes:

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
NeilBey said:
... I've had alot of friends ask for help to fix wonky pivots on their multi-pivot DH bikes (especially the Turner) and have come to the conclusion that unless you've got a pro mechanic to back you up at races, sinlge pivots are the way to go ....
The Turner IS a Single Pivot -- with a linkage driven shock.

I have had the DHR for 1 year and ride Mostly Rocky Trails 2/week, have raced it several times and I have regreased the pivots ONCE. I ride in Dry and Dusty conditions and check my swingarm bolts weekly. no problems with the linkages or shock bushings.

Do these 'friends' do regular bolt checks and maintenance on their Bike?

lol 'need a pro mechanic'

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
MadDHer said:
I don't know what you are talking about, I've been droppping off roofs way before Canadians were.

I agree that bikes don't make riders, but on Synopsis every rider says Sam Hill and Bryn Atkison are great riders. Bryn now rides a GT and he is not on Hypnosis! That only tells me one thing...I guess I am buying a Sunday. Or maybe a Turner, I saw a lot of Turners on those videos.

Any thoughts on the forks? I am thinking on getting an Avalanche, any feedback on those?
You're a perfect candidate to get like 20 spawnz0rz on sponsorhouse.com.

NeilBey

Chimp
Feb 3, 2006
Bacardi said:
The Turner IS a Single Pivot -- with a linkage driven shock.

I have had the DHR for 1 year and ride Mostly Rocky Trails 2/week, have raced it several times and I have regreased the pivots ONCE. I ride in Dry and Dusty conditions and check my swingarm bolts weekly. no problems with the linkages or shock bushings.

Do these 'friends' do regular bolt checks and maintenance on their Bike?

lol 'need a pro mechanic'
These "friends", are pro racers, racing the Norba series. They ride alot more than twice a week too in all conditions. I had to, on more than one occassion fix a particular friend's shoddy pivots when we were up in Whistler just before Crankworx 2004.

PS. They have a mechanic that's with them at all the Norbas and their local races. Yes, that's a 'pro' mechanic (for those of you who didn't make the reference pro=professional)

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
You are right, your friends cant win with shoddy pivots...

So then, what is the most durable, Norba pro/friends tested race bike, that needs the least amount of maintenance, say from 2000 to present?

NeilBey

Chimp
Feb 3, 2006
Bacardi said:
You are right, your friends cant win with shoddy pivots...

So then, what is the most durable, Norba pro/friends tested race bike, that needs the least amount of maintenance, say from 2000 to present?
I didn't mean to be so mean in my last post. Probably one of my ratty days...

I'm not saying that the Turner is a Peice of S*%t, I just think that they could use a better pivot design and parts. The the pre 2004 turner DHR pivot bushings were a joke (to put it bluntly). Have they changed it to needle bearings now? I'm not sure.

Out of all the bikes I raced, I'd say that the easiest bike to maintain is by far the Morewood. The main pivot cartridge bearing locations are extremely easy to get into and replace; I've had to replace only one bearing in the 3 years I've been on a morewood (routine maintenance). The Orange 223 was a nice bike too, but the cartridge bearings were alot harder to replace (not to mention they were smaller in size too).

Basically any bike with a single pivot design (and no rocker arm mumbo jumbo included) is going to be easiet to maintain. It's logically , and aesthetically the easiest and for the privateer racer, it is definately the way to go. Morewood is at all the Norbas and some Southeast regional races too and can offer some assistance with spares and mechanic-ing. Just bring them a six pack of beer (no light beer) if you do. :)